PDA

View Full Version : One exciting thing about pre-war is...

mintacular
05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
That there are a ton of people that have no clue about how to price them them (myself included :)) Whereas with post-war, there are various price guides/eBay listings plus a more established history of what they go for...

For example, I was at the flea market the other day and a guy was selling cards, he was dead-sharp on knowing prices for post-war (actually way too high--he wanted like $10 for a VGEX '69 Marichal) but when it came to pre-war he had a flat price on everything $35 for any T206 (all ranged from GD-VGEX) and $75 for any HOFer (Chance--or was it Evers?, Clarke, and some three-fingered guy...).

He also had NO CLUE about backs. I asked "Do you have any drum backs?" and he thought "Drumback" was a certain card/brand, i.e. he didn't realize the T206s could be worth much more if a different back. Unfortunately, he only had Piedmonts, Sweet Caps, Polars, and Honest...

Anyway, I guess the point of my thread is to say that there is a lot more misunderstanding/lack of information with prewar stuff than postwar, and that makes it even more intriquing...Oh well, that is the point of my thread, any comments would be appreciated...

drc
05-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Pricing of memorabilia is similar

chris6net
05-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Just like modern cards this will soon change as for many it is just about the money.

Leon
05-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Mintacular- So what did the guy have, anything good? I would think $75 for HOF'ers might not have been a bad start, depending on condition. Information is a key to success. He/she who has more of it will have a better chance of doing well. Post war has always been so "common" to me. It interested me when I first started collecting then when I found pre-war it was all over...... (well, actually it had just started). Nice topic....

mintacular
05-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Your absolutely right about the "knowledge" thing, which is why I didn't plunk down any $....I find the best way to learn about a set is to start building one. I've been builidng a few post-war sets recently and am getting pretty sharp on pegging the right price on cards which is quite exciting to know more than the next guy. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to build a T206 so my knife is pretty dull, although hanging around here has atleast given me a clue albeit a small one on pre-war stuff...

None of them jumped out as high grade or else I would've rolled the dice. However, they weren't hammered either. The backs were pretty clean with no paper loss and nice clean print (They were definately authentic). I remember a T205 Chance T206 Clarke T206 Evers or Chance? and some A.L. NY Pitcher. At one point I told him that I usually pay $10-20/ea. on low grade T206s and he picked out 5 or so that had an issue but weren't thrashed and offered me 5 for $60 but I passed...

I think he sets up every week so I might go back and pay attention more to what exactly he has. Unfortunately I had my own table set up and couldn't dilly dally. I probably opened my mouth a bit too much when I started asking about backs...I mentioned Hindu and he said he used to have some of those.

I also saw a guy that had some Felts/Blankets (?) about 5 of them hand-cut in a display but I didn't recognize names, plus wasn't 100% sure of authenticity. He wanted $100 for all of them. I couldn't believe how many card guys there were on this weekend, it might have something to do with the upcoming RMU show.