PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID: what are these cards?

CobbSpikedMe
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what I have here?

They are blank backed and have a clear "film" on the fronts that is peeling off of some of them.

Thanks a lot,

AndyH

D. Bergin
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Issued in Sweden around the 1959-61 period by a candy company I'm not sure of. There were a ton of different cards in similar series done of both Ingemar and Patterson during this time period. Other boxers exist but the Swedes were really crazy about these two guys because of their trilogy against each other.

They usually go for a few bucks apiece.

The "film" peeling off is very common and seems to be the inevitable process of aging for these cards.

CobbSpikedMe
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I knew someone would come through for me. Do you see them very often or no?

Best,

AndyH

FUBAR
05-17-2010, 09:47 PM
In the 1960s along with other business interests, Johansson co-promoted boxing cards in Sweden, including several with ex-champ Sonny Liston (1966 and 1967).

Taken from Johansson's wikipedia page

D. Bergin
05-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I knew someone would come through for me. Do you see them very often or no?

Best,

AndyH

I have a bunch of them. Probably had a couple hundred at one time I sold off over the years from a collection I picked up awhile ago.

Somebody should make a checklist of these someday. There are really a ton of different cards of both Ingemar and Patterson spread over several different Sporting and Entertainer series.

Some are probably rarer then others but I don't think anybody's cared enough to figure that out. I wouldn't say they are common but they do pop up on Ebay occasionally and they're not very popular.

D. Bergin
05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
In the 1960s along with other business interests, Johansson co-promoted boxing cards in Sweden, including several with ex-champ Sonny Liston (1966 and 1967).

Taken from Johansson's wikipedia page

.....and soon after professional boxing was outlawed in Sweden.