PDA

View Full Version : BVG vs. SGC

ichieh
05-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Ok, i think it's rhetorical. Most intelligent collectors would prefer their vintage cards to be graded by PSA or SGC instead of BVG. But this is the situation. Wen i was at the SF show, just out of curiosity, i paid and ask BVG to cross over some of my 1960's cards that were in SGC holders (most of them are in mint SGC 92) To my surprise, BVG determined that most of my SGC cards deserve the same grade, or even higher BVG grades, if i allow them to be crossed over. My question is, if you own, for example, a 1963 pete rose RC in SGC 96, and BVG agrees to cross it to BVG 9.5 (gem mint), would you allow them to do it?
My second question is, would a card become more valuable, if you can prove that both SGC and BVG give the card the exact same grade (SGC 98 and BVG 9.5), or it makes no differece.

chaddurbin
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
i think beckett would customize a holder so that the SGC holder will fit inside...

bcbgcbrcb
05-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Although I might be in the minority here, I would cross the SGC 96 to BVG 9.5. To answer your other question, I do not think that the value would increase because both grading companies agree on the same grade, primarily it would ensure that the card was accurately graded.

Rich Klein
05-16-2010, 06:23 AM
SGC 92 is nm/mt+

SGC 96 would be mint

And as for your other question; if BVG says the card is a "9" and SGC says it is a "92"; I'd make that switch on a 60's card

Rich

irishdenny
05-16-2010, 07:09 AM
If it's about the market price, than than yes i would transfer on the uPgrade of any 60's card to a BVG holder.

BVG has a Strong place in the market when it comes to Postwar and newer cards. For instance, i have an AROD Rookie Auto that was in another holder graded at a 10, crossed it to BVG 9.5/10(Auto). If you do some due diligence on this one you'll see what i mean. It's my Son's now :)

if it was Prewar, i would leave it in the SGC holder. Even if BVG were to uPgrade it numerically. SGC gaunantee's the card at the grade assigned for the lifetime of it! As long as it's not been tampered with.

imho, BVG is working very hard to gain ground in the Prewar arena, but still has some ways to go! Postwar seems to be stong in certain areas.

benchod
05-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Let me guess your next post
"How much would you guys pay for a '63 Pete Rose graded BVG 9.5?"

In all seriousness good luck(on your future profits) if you decide to cross it. ;)

Matt
05-16-2010, 07:48 AM
BVG is notably more lenient with back paper loss then SGC is.

ichieh
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Craig, you read my mind :)

showtime
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
BVG has a Strong place in the market when it comes to Postwar and newer cards. For instance, i have an AROD Rookie Auto that was in another holder graded at a 10, crossed it to BVG 9.5/10(Auto).

There are exactly zero Arod cards that are old enough to get into BVG cases. BGS yes, BVG no.

Griffins
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
i think beckett would customize a holder so that the SGC holder will fit inside...

I think Quan is on the right track here

http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/distribution/large/71garvey.jpeg

05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I think Quan is on the right track here

Is that real or photoshop'd?

Griffins
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
very real. It belongs to Kevin Saucier. Garvey signed the outside of a PSA slab, and GAI slabbed the slab. I'm sure Becket could do the same, and probably don't care if the slab was hand sealed or not, as long as it measures full size.

05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
very real. It belongs to Kevin Saucier. Garvey signed the outside of a PSA slab, and GAI slabbed the slab. I'm sure Becket could do the same, and probably don't care if the slab was hand sealed or not, as long as it measures full size.

:D What if someone else signed the GAI slab, which was then slabbed by Beckett, etc., etc...

Section103
05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
A double-wrapped Garvey.......the best jokes just write themselves.

calvindog
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Sent in my very first submission to BVG a week ago for 2 day service on some cards not graded by PSA or SGC; learned today that BVG can't find them.

barrysloate
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Can't find them? That isn't good for anybody.

calvindog
05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
LOL, yes, I agree. I sent them in a week ago for two day service and now they're lost. They asked me who signed for the Fed Ex package which did not make me feel real comfortable. I then asked about their two day service and if the cards were found that perhaps they might have missed their deadline; the customer service rep had no idea how that was handled. I'm guessing that they'll offer me some free grading (which, of course, I'll never use as my first BVG submission is surely my last).

chaddurbin
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
at least it's confirmed they're open on monday

tbob
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
BVG is notably more lenient with back paper loss then SGC is.

Matt, I agree 100%.

calvindog
05-24-2010, 11:45 AM
at least it's confirmed they're open on monday

Yes, they do have that going for them.

05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Sent in my very first submission to BVG a week ago for 2 day service on some cards not graded by PSA or SGC; learned today that BVG can't find them.

LOL, yes, I agree. I sent them in a week ago for two day service and now they're lost. They asked me who signed for the Fed Ex package which did not make me feel real comfortable. I then asked about their two day service and if the cards were found that perhaps they might have missed their deadline; the customer service rep had no idea how that was handled. I'm guessing that they'll offer me some free grading (which, of course, I'll never use as my first BVG submission is surely my last).

LOL Funniest thing I've read all morning!

GehrigFan
05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Ummm... I think you are confused.

Your order shipped out to you Thursday, May 20th and was delivered to you 4hours ago.

If you need the tracking number or more info, please send me a private email to manderson@beckett.com.

I'm just not sure why you would claim we lost an order that you already received???

Leon
05-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Your order shipped out to you Thursday, May 20th and was delivered to you 4hours ago.

If you need the tracking number or more info, please send me a private email to manderson@beckett.com.

I'm just not sure why you would claim we lost an order that you already received???

Mark- please don't let the truth get in the way of someone that has yet to make a mistake...and his clueless, sarcastic follower(s)....

calvindog
05-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Well, I wasn't sitting by the mailbox all day waiting for the package. And I simply called up today asking for status of my submission and was told that it was unable to be located and not in the computer. And then I was asked for proof that the package I sent to you with my cards in it was actually delivered -- which I then provided. And then I was told that it would take 24 hours to get to the bottom of it.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but when I get all that info, you know -- that my package was lost -- I tend to conclude that my package was lost. Won't make that mistake again.

Leon
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
just never mind....

Wesley
05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
My question is, if you own, for example, a 1963 pete rose RC in SGC 96, and BVG agrees to cross it to BVG 9.5 (gem mint), would you allow them to do it?

I would cross into the Beckett 9.5 Gem Mint holder, even though I don't normally use BVG. Beckett has a large following for modern cards and even vintage Topps cards.

BCauley
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Nevermind