PDA

View Full Version : What's your "I wish I knew how to quit you" card?

paulcarek
05-15-2010, 11:34 PM
As I change the focus of my collection yet again, I find that many cards on my want list are ones I've already owned in the past (T206 Walsh, Diamond Stars Traynor, to name just a couple). What card(s) do you find yourself unable to rid yourself of permanently? In "Brokeback Mountain" parlance, who is your Ennis Del Mar?

Leon
05-16-2010, 08:21 AM
As a type collector I really should only have 1 card from each set. Well, I have more than that from almost every set. What happens is that I will already have a card from a set then see another one, from the same set, where I really like the pose. So I get it and think I will sell the other one(s). More often than not I end up keeping the card(s) in question. Here is my current dilemma. I have about 5 "types" from the set but love this pose. So every time I go to put him either for sale or in my collection I can't make my mind up. I don't want to get rid of any of my current D311's, can't really keep every single card I like, but can't seem to make a decision on this one. He is the "in limbo" card that I can't figure out what to do with.:eek: I am confident he will be in my collection, but shouldn't be!!:p

(I guess it's ironic this guy looks a little light in his loafers and there was a reference to Brokeback in the original post)

BillyCoxDodgers3B
05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
1978 Topps Glenn Burke. High five! :eek:

Seriously, however, I can't answer this since I in fact did quit collecting several years ago. I can't isolate the very card that turned me off. It was the plethora of shiny stuff (Stadium Club, Fleer Ultra) that finally made me stop. By that time, classic issues were getting too pricey for my limited budget, so the main focus was changed to another aspect of the hobby. I did keep the collection (both vintage and modern), but couldn't tell you the last time I looked at an unsigned card.

HRBAKER
05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
A couple for me; E95 Cobb, 1921 Walter Johnson Exhibit

t213
05-16-2010, 01:05 PM
For me it's E254s. Three previous times I've worked on the set and each time accumulated more than 50 cards before breaking them up. I love the variations and the team changes so I've started it again - fourth time's a charm!

Andy

M's_Fan
05-17-2010, 11:56 PM
As a type collector I really should only have 1 card from each set. Well, I have more than that from almost every set. What happens is that I will already have a card from a set then see another one, from the same set, where I really like the pose. So I get it and think I will sell the other one(s). More often than not I end up keeping the card(s) in question. Here is my current dilemma. I have about 5 "types" from the set but love this pose. So every time I go to put him either for sale or in my collection I can't make my mind up. I don't want to get rid of any of my current D311's, can't really keep every single card I like, but can't seem to make a decision on this one. He is the "in limbo" card that I can't figure out what to do with.:eek: I am confident he will be in my collection, but shouldn't be!!:p

(I guess it's ironic this guy looks a little light in his loafers and there was a reference to Brokeback in the original post)

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a type collector having one or two or three examples from an issue. I like the idea...