PDA

View Full Version : 1938 Negro League All Stars, WEST

Ladder7
05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
"...fairly rough condition with some tears & creasing but it is intact & very displayable."

I'll find out in a couple of days! whew. Kinda scared of looking at the reverse :eek:

http://216.17.223.177/ebay/38nl.jpg

Incidentally, I found the West All Stars lineup sheet. But would appreciate some help on image IDs, especially those that didnt take the field that afternoon. Thanks, Steve

West - RF Henry Milton, 2B Newt Allen, 3B Alex/Alec Radcliffe, 1B Ted Strong, LF Quincy Trouppe, CF Neil Robinson, C Frank Duncan, SS Byron Johnson, P Sug Cornelius, PH Parnell Woods, C Larry Brown, P Hilton Smith, P Double Duty Radcliffe

GKreindler
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Now THAT'S a gorgeous photo!!!

bcbgcbrcb
05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Steve:

Nice pick-up. I went back and forth on that one a couple of times but held off because of the condition. Of course, good luck finding another identical one in better condition! Now you just need the East Team from that All-Star Game including Josh Gibson, etc.

I believe that 2 HOF'ers are pictured: Hilton Smith & Andy Cooper. Any others that I missed?

Ladder7
05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Phil and Greg.

Yes, it's a real dog. But, we'll be on a fixed income shortly, so I had to act. In fact, I was directed to freeze all future purchases and begin downsizing. :D Thus, it may reappear on the BST, if momma finds out.

I didnt see Gibson on the East's Lineup. Perhaps he was still rumming it up on Hispanola?

ElCabron
05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Steve,

Like Phil, I also went back and forth on that one due to condition. I have the 1938 East/West game "East" team photo that used to belong to Buck Leonard and it would be pretty cool to have the "West" team next to it. I was mostly afraid of condition and the fact that it was already framed. I picture there being lots of tape on the back holding some of those tears together. Still a great photo and looks authentic to me.

Regardless, I think it was an excellent buy at that price. Keep me in mind if you decide you need to sell, or if you decide you'd like to trade. I probably have quite a few items you'd be interested in.

Congrats!

-Ryan

tlwise12
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey

I'm Travis and i was just wondering if you would share where you found this and the price paid (apparently im missing something other people already know)!

Thanks
Travis

Lordstan
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Travis,
It was on ebay.
As a rule, whenever someone posts something new that they bought, have a question about, I always look on ebay first. More often than not you find it there.
Here it is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1938-Negro-League-All-Star-Game-Original-Photo-RARE-/220510226995?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item33576f0a33

Mark

tlwise12
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks a lot Mark!!!

Will do on the eBay thing- makes sense after you think about it! HAHA

Travis

jerseygary
05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
removed because of a mistake

jerseygary
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
removed because of a mistake