PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed - tape over an autograph

mr2686
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Need some opnions please. I have never collected an autograph with tape across it...tape yellows, etc. I have a chance to pick up a semi-hard to find auto with tape across it. This would also be about a third to half of the price of another one I could pick up. What would you autograph guys do? Is there a general opinion on this subject?

Forever Young
05-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Honestly, I would not even want it for 10% of the high quality one without tape let alone half. You can NEVER go wrong with quality. If you ever get in a pinch for $$$ taped auto will be tougher to sell. "The best" is hard to argue with at any reasonable price.
Now...I am sure there are many peeps that would disagree or not mind as much(thus a market). If it doesn't bother you, I would buy the tape and try to get the price down. If you are looking to enjoy(tape bothers you) as well as investment, I would not touch the tape and pony up!
Just my 2 cents.
Actually I might have give 6-10 cents there....

Scott Garner
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Need some opnions please. I have never collected an autograph with tape across it...tape yellows, etc. I have a chance to pick up a semi-hard to find auto with tape across it. This would also be about a third to half of the price of another one I could pick up. What would you autograph guys do? Is there a general opinion on this subject?

Mike,
Great question! I've found myself asking myself the same question over time.

BTW- I collect the signatures of all no-hit pitchers dating back to 1883 (when they changed the mound distance to the modern standard of 60' 6").
Over time, I've whittled this list of about 260 names down to about 17. Since some of these names are pretty scarce, I have had to consider collecting signatures either covered with tape or tape affixing a cut to another piece of paper or an index card after the fact.

This is definately a matter of collecting preference, but I would recommend trying to collect the best example of a particular signature that you can find. I personally don't believe that there is ever a downside in collecting quality. If you ever want to resell an item, a quality item always makes it easier to find a buyer.

That being said, if you merely would like to add an example of the signature of a particular player to your collection, and price was definately a consideration, than buying the sig w/ tape is decent alternative. I would also buy a signature w/ tape for a player that I might not otherwise be able to find. One additional thought is that as a collector you always can upgrade down the line, but you may have some difficulty reselling a signature with tape if other more pristine signatures are available...
Food for thought....;)

mr2686
05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you both for you opinions. Here's why this one is so tough for me. First, the money is not an issue, but the real problem is that the one without tape is in pencil and on an AP with a few other sigs next to it....harder to mat out. The one with tape is a "stronger" signature in pen, but it is cut close around the sig and taped to a 3x5 with tape going across also. Neither is what I would want as my first choice, but this signature is not real common either

khkco4bls
05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
i have a roberto clemente model bat that had white tape on the handle that jackie robinson signed in ball point pen. the guy put clear packing tape over it and it yellowed badly over the years. i decided to peel it slowly off the white tape and luckily it didnt affect the signature at all.

perezfan
05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
That tape would drive me nuts. I really hate the look of those, and can't imagine why so many people thought that was a good idea back in the day.

The pencil auto would irritate me as well. I would avoid both, and hold out for a better example. Otherwise, you will always lament the flawed one, and obsess over the better one (which will inevitably come along...)

My advice is to be patient and wait for a good one.

HexsHeroes
05-12-2010, 06:01 PM

. . . who might consider erasing the other signatures (assuming they too are signed in pencil) around the difficult autograph, inorder to enhance it.

I have yet to do that, but I have been tempted. But I decided the risk of damaging a truly difficult autograph was just too high. And for a less difficult autograph, why bother.

I suppose it's similar to the choices someone contemplates with regards to removing signatures from a multiple signature baseball inorder to display it as a single-signed example. Some justify it as OK, as long as the modified ball is for one's own enjoyment. But what happens when it's time for that ball to move on to it's next owner? Some facts just have a way of being forgotten, or lost to time.

David Atkatz
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with pencil, guys. It's more stable than ink, and will not fade in sunlight. (Just keep erasers away.)

This PC is in pencil, and I don't mind at all. (My oldest son's name is Nick.)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/gehrigPC.jpg

perezfan
05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, that IS a nice one (obviously...) But the pencil autograph in question sounds like it was encroached upon by lots of other sigs. Sounded rather messy, and difficult to mat out the others.

If it was as nice and bold as that Gehrig, I doubt he would have any dilemma whatsoever :rolleyes:

mr2686
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Heck, If I had that Gehrig, I'd change my name to Nick! ;)

BillyCoxDodgers3B
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
When it comes down to truly tough signatures, I've never failed in recouping my investment on an inferior specimen if an upgrade was found. Some pieces take longer than others to sell; the ability to discern the near-impossible from the pedestrian is certainly the key. For in-demand signatures that are fairly easy to procure, you can't go wrong with keeping up quality control. On the other hand, there is most certainly a market for off-quality material that many collectors avidly pursue. The mentality of being happy with any example (provided the price is right) is highly prevalent and will not soon go out of fashion. That being said, there are numerous collectors who would still shell out five figures for an undoubtedly authentic Hoss Radbourn even if it was run over by a fleet of eighteen wheelers (anymore, a nice example wouldn't dip below $100K).

Scott Garner
05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
When it comes down to truly tough signatures, I've never failed in recouping my investment on an inferior specimen if an upgrade was found. Some pieces take longer than others to sell; the ability to discern the near-impossible from the pedestrian is certainly the key. For in-demand signatures that are fairly easy to procure, you can't go wrong with keeping up quality control. On the other hand, there is most certainly a market for off-quality material that many collectors avidly pursue. The mentality of being happy with any example (provided the price is right) is highly prevalent and will not soon go out of fashion. That being said, there are numerous collectors who would still shell out five figures for an undoubtedly authentic Hoss Radbourn even if it was run over by a fleet of eighteen wheelers (anymore, a nice example wouldn't dip below $100K).

Jodi,
Very eloquently put...

HexsHeroes
05-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Well said Jodi.