PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco (Cow Palace) Collectors Show - May 14 - 16

DJR
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM

deadballera
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I am trying to re-arrange my schedule so I can go...

spacktrack
05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
SGC will be accepting submissions at this show for the second year in a row. Michael Goldberg will be set up all weekend to meet with collectors and take submissions back for grading. You may use any of our current monthly specials at the show. We don't get out to CA too often, so please consider stopping by to say hello and drop off some cards.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
SGC

David R
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Is anyone planning to go and, if so, on what day?

DeanH3
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I'll be there Saturday. I plan on leaving Sac area early enough to get there before it opens. I have a few crossovers for SGC. I'm not expecting much but still looking forwrd to it.

MBMiller25
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Not that anyone knows me from Adam, but I am trying to get out there for a day.

martyp
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I will be set up somewhere in the middle isle.
Marty

ichieh
05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
i am staying for the weekend in SF. Do they authenticate bats on site?

mackmen
05-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Is there usually good deals available on pre war cards etc.?

I haven't been to one of these in years and when I did go to these I wasnt collecting prewar. Just curious if anyone has past experiences.

DeanH3
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't expect many good deals. However that does not mean that you cannot find one. Most graded Pre-war that will be there will be priced higher than you would see elsewhere. But you do get to see the card and take it home if you want. Only way to really know is to go and find out. Most often I'm more disappointed than not but I go anyway. I would recommend you check it out if it's not too far for you to travel.

rman444
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
To be able to see and examine a card in person is always worth a little extra to me. Add that to the opportunity to see things that you just don't see everyday - who doesn't love a good card show?

chaddurbin
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
To be able to see and examine a card in person is always worth a little extra to me. Add that to the opportunity to see things that you just don't see everyday - who doesn't love a good card show?

richard's inventory is well worth the price of admisson by itself...the chance to see rman/wes/me in person will be well worth any drive <10hrs***. we will enlighten you with our hobby knowledge, and belittle all the flaws on your card purchases not bought from rman for free. (we can also laugh at rman's 1990's shiny refractors)

***can't confirm wes, but i will be a no show

DeanH3
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=chaddurbin;807679]richard's inventory is well worth the price of admisson by itself...the chance to see rman/wes/me in person will be well worth any drive <10hrs***. we will enlighten you with our hobby knowledge, and belittle all the flaws on your card purchases not bought from rman for free. (we can also laugh at rman's 1990's shiny refractors)

***can't confirm wes, but i will be a no show[/QUOTE

Hey Richard, are you going to have a table set up? If so I would like to stop and say hi.

packs
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I can't believe the prices of the autograph guests. $150 for Cal Ripken? I remember years ago when I was a kid at the Gloria Rothstein shows the only guests charging $100 were Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle all pretty near death. Cal Ripken was a good player, but he's young, available, and signs a ton of crap. What could possibly make his autograph that expensive?

DeanH3
05-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I can't believe the prices of the autograph guests. $150 for Cal Ripken? I remember years ago when I was a kid at the Gloria Rothstein shows the only guests charging $100 were Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle all pretty near death. Cal Ripken was a good player, but he's young, available, and signs a ton of crap. What could possibly make his autograph that expensive?

$150 is the entry level price. If you have a bat or jersey then you have to pony up $249. Oh and an extra $50 if you want an inscription, up to 5 words or personalization. :D

glchen
05-13-2010, 05:11 PM
$150 is the entry level price. If you have a bat or jersey then you have to pony up $249. Oh and an extra $50 if you want an inscription, up to 5 words or personalization. :D

I think the price is higher for Cal because in addition to getting an item signed, you also get to have a picture taken with him using your own camera.

rman444
05-13-2010, 05:26 PM
I will have a table there - it will be my first time setting up at a major show.

Q is a bit misleading about my 1990's finest refractors. I will not be brining them as I only sell my prewar baseball to fund my shiny purchases - not the other way around.

David R
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Richard,

Where will you be set up and will you be there on Friday?

Chris Counts
05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I've always had great luck finding good stuff at the Cow Palace show, but I collect ungraded cards. In the past, I've always gone on a Saturday, but this year, I can only attend Friday in the late afternoon/early evening. Are there many dealers set up on Friday? I'm debating if it's worth a two-hour drive ...

bcornell
05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I will have a table there - it will be my first time setting up at a major show.

That settles it - I am definitely going. Prepare to haggle, Richard.

Bill

rman444
05-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure where I'll be. Apparently noobs get the leftovers so perhaps between the minihelmet guy and the guy selling 1998 Score wax boxes?

I will be there on Friday (tomorrow). I'm terrible with names, so don't be offended if I don't know or recognize anyone. I would, however, recognize Bill and I will be protecting my backside when he starts to haggle.

deadballera
05-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Saturday is the better day to find cards..

Sunday is the better day to get deals. Dealers are trying to recoup some of the costs and trying to boost their sales totals..

marvjung
05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I actually attended this show last year, my first since I re-entered the hobby, so my first show in nearly 18 years. It was also my first since moving to the Bay area.

The location is....well...a location. Last year, it was rainy, kind of cold, but more muggy than anything else.

The show did have a decent amount of pre-war stuff, so it was fun to look at. It's certainly not a massive show though, but just enough where a slow walk will get you through the show in two hours (and that includes time to stop and talk to some of the dealers there). I also noticed that many dealers did not have all their pre-war stuff, so when I asked if they had anymore, they'd pull a stack out from somewhere behind their cases and tables.

I did pick up a few B-18's, but no cards. However, I think the highlight for me was the Mile High table set up to show off some of the auction material coming up. Was VERY cool to see so many high-end items!

I'm going to try to attend....might be difficult, but I'm going to certainly try!

ichieh
05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
I attended the show. It was alright. The crowds was small, most dealers want premium for their cards, and i don't see too many deals made. A bit disappointed, didn't find anything good to buy.

chaddurbin
05-15-2010, 11:59 PM
you should go to a cardshow thinking you're not going to buy anything because everything is overpriced compared to ebay...you will enjoy yourself more.

glchen
05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I went on Saturday also. Smaller than I thought it would be, and most pre-war were over-priced. The only deal I saw was this one dealer who was selling PSA 10 modern cards for $4 a piece, and PSA9 for $2 a piece. With these prices, I think the modern card scene is dead unless you get the RC for a superstar. I picked up a Griffey, Ichiro, Maddux (non-RC) PSA10's. The same dealer was also selling authentics (raw) for non-superstars for $2 a card.

I also met Michael Goldberg of SGC, who's a really nice guy, and it was good chatting with him. Dropping off a submission was probably the only thing that made the trip worthwhile.