PDA

View Full Version : Good Times

rdixon1208
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm 30 years old, but I have an 11 year old brother. He's been to a couple of shows with me in the past but didn't show much interest. Well this past January he bought a set of 1987 Topps complete and in a binder for $5. That was a real turning point. He started calling me and asking me what the different stats meant on the back of the cards, who the best players were. etc. Two weeks ago he was at my house and I gave him a 1939 Play Ball Moose Solters. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Well this past Friday he was at my house and we were looking at some of the cards from my collection. He was really interested in the different backs of T206 cards. So he asked me if there was anything he could do to earn some money to buy one for himself. So I let him wash my truck and my wife's car for $20. He stayed up all night looking for the perfect card for his collection. Saturday he bought this beautiful T206 Neal Ball on ebay. I can't wait until it gets here. In fact, I can't remember being so excited waiting for a card. It's going to be so much fun taking it to his house and hand delivering it to him. Seing his face when he realized he one the auction was a real throwback to me. It reminded me of the 4th grade. I always got $2 for lunch, but I rarely ate. I would save my money until school was over...then sprint to the card shop and buy 4 packs of 1990 Donruss. Those were great days...especially if I scored an Eric Anthony or Dave Justice rookie!

http://dixonsbaseballcards.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/9/5/1595525/6921228_orig.jpg

Blunder19
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
cool story Rob. but you just got an 11 year old hooked on the Monster. Hopefully he gets $100 for lunch money :D

Robextend
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Rob, thats a great story. I started collecting also indirectly due to 1987 Topps. My older brother used to buy packs when the set first came out, and I studied every duplicate he gave me.

docpatlv
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Rob,

That's great. Nothing compares to collecting with a younger brother. Unfortunately my brother gave up after about 5 years of collecting...fortunately, I "acquired" all of his cards and memorabilia when he did:D

He'll be glad he has you to help guide him through this great hobby!

Mike

Jewish-collector
05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Rob,
Bring him with you to the National this summer. He will love it (and it's free admission for children.)

joeadcock
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
That story really takes me back to when I was a kid and felt that way about the colorful 1975 TOPPS set. Then it was the Laughlin cards.

He can pace himself one by one.

Frank

teetwoohsix
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
What a great story Robert!! That's very cool that at age 11 he's already getting his first T206.It would be interesting to see how far along he gets in the set by the time he becomes an adult-granted he doesn't lose interest.If it can hook us adults in like it does,I think your brother may be in trouble :D

Thanks for the cool story!!

Sincerely,Clayton