PDA

View Full Version : Does Declared Value Affect Graders (esp for High Value Cards)?

glchen
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
This is in relation to a recent thread on the Collectors forum on the same topic

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=773234

and the recent thread on the Pete Rose RC.

When you submit a card in for grading, do the graders from SGC or PSA see the declared value of the card, or is that already implied because of the grading tier that the card is submitted under? The posters in the Collectors thread believe that it does have some effect on the grade. One of the reasons in that thread was that you need to let the graders "share in some of the profit" if you want the higher grade or to that effect. However, I was also thinking due to the Pete Rose RC thread and the Ty Cobb trimmed thread, that the graders are also in a way insuring the value of the card at that grade, so if you are declaring a $5K card at only $495, the graders will only want to guarantee a grade at that same declared value so will give the card a lower grade? What do you think?

packs
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't think the declared value would influence a grade. The declared value is for your benefit. If you send in a $2,000 card and want to be cheap with the insurance so you declare the value to be $300, should the card get lost that's all you're going to get back. I feel as though the declared value is for insurance purposes only and has no effect on a grade.

tbob
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I agree, I have submitted some beautiful caramel cards to SGC and had them come back authentic. I declared the value based on an SGC 60 or 70 (which is what they look like) but it didn't seem to matter when they were graded. :(

Publius
05-09-2010, 11:07 PM
The vaule of the card determines how many graders look at it at PSA. The really high end ones get looked at by Rezza and he has the power to kick it out...Im quite certain he knows what a card is worth.