PDA

View Full Version : When would it be the best time to consign

ichieh
05-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Just like the stock market, i notice that the realized prices on ebay or other auction house are very seasonal. What's your thoughts and explanation? When do you think is the best time consign, meaning to generate the most interest and highest price

HexsHeroes
05-09-2010, 09:53 AM

. . . when I'm most flush with cash is during/just after tax return season.

I'm one of those individuals who has no issue with providing Uncle Sam a short-term, interest-free loan, in exchange for full repayment the following March/April. One large payment is more useful to me than 26 slightly larger paychecks, and comes in very handy when setting my bidding limits and targeting auction lots inwhich to bid on.

Just my two-cents worth.

Thanks.

teetwoohsix
05-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Are you already looking to flip your Rose rookie ? :D

I would think sitting on it for a few years would be best,but then again,a few more Gem Mint 10's could pop up,possibly driving the price down.

From what I've seen recently,sometimes the fast flip doesn't work out too well.Good luck with your consignment though,whenever you do it.

Clayton

ichieh
05-09-2010, 11:16 AM
No, i actually want to sell both of my 1979 opc gretzky psa 9 and bvg 9 and ponder whether i should sell them now, or wait until next NHL season.

Bosox Blair
05-09-2010, 11:20 AM

. . . when I'm most flush with cash is during/just after tax return season.

My guess is that this is one good reason why REA holds its annual auction in early May.

Cheers,
Blair

drc
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't know hockey, but for baseball any time of year is fine. Collectors buy year round. There isn't an off season. If I was consigning baseball stuff, time of year wouldn't even be a consideration.

calvindog
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
My guess is that this is one good reason why REA holds its annual auction in early May.

Cheers,
Blair

I don't know many people who spend a lot of money on cards who feel that April 15 is a day in which they are flush with cash.

05-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't know many people who spend a lot of money on cards who feel that April 15 is a day in which they are flush with cash.

Yeah I don't think REA's main customers are getting big tax refund checks.

Bosox Blair
05-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah I don't think REA's main customers are getting big tax refund checks.

You guys would be surprised. I've had this type of discussion with art dealers, fine wine auctioneers, and card dealers. They all have the same stories about how the most fanatic collectors...their best clients (the ones who live otherwise modestly but spend every dime on their obsession) are not the people you suspect. A few years back, the head of Christies Art Photography department told me the greatest private collection she ever saw belonged to a unionized tradesman, who was one of her best clients.

But I do agree that quite a few people don't associate tax-time with extra cash (I'm one of this latter group too.)

Cheers,
Blair