PDA

View Full Version : Net54--A Crazy Game of Poker

usernamealreadytaken
05-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I will say what everybody is thinking but we all dance around it. We all want to know what is in each others collections! Whether it is to determine rarity of a certain card(s) you own or to try to find what you are looking for to buy from a fellow board member, there is nothing we would like more than to have you list and provide scans of your entire collection. Just look at all of the threads that try to just that: "month pick-up," "show your BLANK cards," "Best deal you ever made," "how did you do in BLANK auction," "show your best card."

No point here just an observation...Enjoy!

slidekellyslide
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure that's the motivation behind those threads.

Bicem
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
maybe to understand why people either prefer to share their collections with everyone or keep them private?

Kawika
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
What do you collect, Chris?

usernamealreadytaken
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm not telling...

usernamealreadytaken
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Just kidding...I collect T206 cards. Can't afford the other desirable tobacco issues though I really love them (i.e. Kotton, Mino, TTT, Red Cross, Cullivan's, Victory, etc.) I have dabbled in Caramel (Croft's) but just can't really get into them...

Kawika
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I will say what everybody is thinking but we all dance around it. We all want to know what is in each others collections! Whether it is to determine rarity of a certain card(s) you own or to try to find what you are looking for to buy from a fellow board member, there is nothing we would like more than to have you list and provide scans of your entire collection. Just look at all of the threads that try to just that: "month pick-up," "show your BLANK cards," "Best deal you ever made," "how did you do in BLANK auction," "show your best card."

No point here just an observation...Enjoy!
I think you need to be more careful employing the pronoun "we" lest you be mistaken for Wharton's favorite son(s).:) It's a pretty broad assertion that everybody is part of some big poker game. Some guys are, for sure, information is money, and they want to kill you on the price of that last card you need. I just like seeing cards and I don't mind showing my collection either. Sometimes somebody swoops in and wants a card and I'm cool with it (sometimes), mostly I get compliments. Nothing more to it than that.

usernamealreadytaken
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
When used in my original post, "we" shall be defined as "myself and like-minded board members."

Section103
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
For those of us holding a bad hand and virtually no chips, the poker game takes on an entirely different perspective. :)

Matt
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I think you need to be more careful employing the pronoun "we" lest you be mistaken for Wharton's favorite son(s).:)

Methinks that the tenured group has a risky strategy in this game of going all in on every hand; sometimes they have the hand, but 9 times out of 10 they don't. As you were reading, yet another player folded his cards to their bluff.

Kawika
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
A man without hand is not a man.

FUBAR
05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm all in !!!!!! wait a seven-douce..... I fold!!!

Bamacollection
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
When used in my original post, "we" shall be defined as "myself and like-minded board members."

I believe "WE" has been Net54 trademarked by a certain group of self-idoling army of 1.

calvindog
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I think you need to be more careful employing the pronoun "we" lest you be mistaken for Wharton's favorite son(s).:) It's a pretty broad assertion that everybody is part of some big poker game. Some guys are, for sure, information is money, and they want to kill you on the price of that last card you need. I just like seeing cards and I don't mind showing my collection either. Sometimes somebody swoops in and wants a card and I'm cool with it (sometimes), mostly I get compliments. Nothing more to it than that.

I feel the same. Other than for security reasons, I cannot for the life of me understand why collectors would not want to show off their cards. A large percentage of mine (other than multiple graded sets) are available for anyone's perusal at the link below. If anything, my interests are available for anyone to see and often I get offers to buy cards based on what is already in my collection. Why the cloak and dagger stuff?

HRBAKER
05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I feel the same. Other than for security reasons, I cannot for the life of me understand why collectors would not want to show off their cards. A large percentage of mine (other than multiple graded sets) are available for anyone's perusal at the link below. If anything, my interests are available for anyone to see and often I get offers to buy cards based on what is already in my collection. Why the cloak and dagger stuff?

Agreed, I love to share what I have in certain themed threads and really enjoy seeing what floats everyone else's boat. Geez, its baseball cards, really. No poker here.

jupin11
05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Very ironic that this thread got started today. I just organized scans and photos of my collection on Picasa. I'm kind of surprised at how excited I am to show people. Hope you guys enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/justinfung11

Matt
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I just organized scans and photos of my collection on Picasa.

Justin - great stuff - thanks for sharing. Love the M116 Wags!

sox1903wschamp
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I just organized scans and photos of my collection on Picasa.

Very nice and thanks for sharing. I really like the Turkey Lord and Niles.

PWeso81
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Very ironic that this thread got started today. I just organized scans and photos of my collection on Picasa. I'm kind of surprised at how excited I am to show people. Hope you guys enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/justinfung11

Wow! Nice Cobb (green). I have one at the same grade...But doesn't even belong in the same ball park based on eye appeal.

jupin11
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks a lot Matt, Michael and PWeso!

Most of the people I know only want to talk about the Yao game used jersey, haha.

Vol
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Most of the people I know only want to talk about the Yao game used jersey, haha.
Love the T206's. Very Nice.

Tom S.
05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
If others do not want to share the contents of their collections for whatever reason, I can understand that.

As for me, my modest collection is available for all to see in my sigline at any time. I've got nothing to hide...;)

ChiefBenderForever
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Wow nice collection, nice to see all those Chief Benders !! Those Kobe shoes are crazy, no laces ? I guess I haven't ever seen those before, I love KG, hate Kobe but he got game !!

iggyman
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I've got nothing to hide...;)

I've always felt that Claude had nothing to hide as well. Justin and Tom S., thank you for giving us a peek into your collection. Regrettably, I can't say the same about Claude!

Lovely Day...

Kawika
05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Make the Bigs. Live the Dream. Forget to button your fly on your baseball card. Something not quite right with this scenario.

DavidW
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
But imagine forgetting 2 years in a row!

Abravefan11
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I understand why some people want to keep their collections private but I'm not one of those people. I don't do a great job of keeping it up to date, but much of it is there in my Sig for anyone to see.

And as Jeff L said, advertising my collection has resulted in people contacting me with offers for cards they think I may be interested in.

HRBAKER
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Oh, those crazy "free Love" 60's!

Jantz
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Claude must have been classified as a "reliever"

slidekellyslide
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Hmmm..I wonder if those photos were taken on the same day and Topps just used them for two years....Or Claude did it on purpose. :)

Matt
05-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Hmmm..I wonder if those photos were taken on the same day and Topps just used them for two years

bingo; the wear/stiching on the glove is the same, his whole uniform, undershirt etc. is identical and he's even got the same pair of stylish glasses, which clearly should not have survived a full year on anyone's face.

Rob D.
05-07-2010, 05:09 AM
bingo; the wear/stiching on the glove is the same, his whole uniform, undershirt etc. is identical and he's even got the same pair of stylish glasses, which clearly should not have survived a full year on anyone's face.

Hey, I like those glasses ...

Jim VB
05-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Hey, I like those glasses ...

???? Why????

Matt
05-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Rob - did you PM him after you posted to make sure he posted those, or is Jim's spidey sense so in tune that whenever you make a glasses comment, he somehow knows?
:)

BTW, your glasses were not as bad as Raymond's. I think it's the color of his rims that does it.

Rob D.
05-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Rob - did you PM him after you posted to make sure he posted those, or is Jim's spidey sense so in tune that whenever you make a glasses comment, he somehow knows?
:)

BTW, your glasses were not as bad as Raymond's. I think it's the color of his rims that does it.

No need for me to send a PM. Jim knows his henchmen.

Abravefan11
05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Jim and Rob are the new Magic Man and El Diablo.

T206Collector
05-07-2010, 07:22 AM
My interests are available for anyone to see and often I get offers to buy cards based on what is already in my collection.

I cannot tell you how important having a website to show all my autographed pre-war cards has been to (a) getting offers to acquire new pre-war autographed cards; and (b) getting people to share scans of pre-war autographed cards that I had never seen before.

Without a doubt, sharing one's collection leads to growing one's collection -- if for nothing else than inspiration.