PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst consignment result?

Robbie
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I posted this on the card side, but wanted to get the input from my fellow memorabilia collectors.

After reading all the threads about the recent REA auction, I noticed that there were some consigners who mentioned that their item sold for about half of what they were previously offered for it.

I am curious to hear what your most disappointing auction result was for an item you consigned to a major auction (not ebay). You do not have to name the auction company, and this is not to lay blame (because many factors go into selling price), but just to hear some experiences.

I will start with one item I sold back when game used bats were through the roof in value. I consigned the earliest known 1956 Frank Robinson game used bat. I don't remember seeing many or any 1950's Robinsons at that time (They are very rare with probably only 4 or 5 existing). After discussion with the auction house, I thought it would go for $8k-10k. It sold for half of that. :(

perezfan
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I've had a few... none catastrophic, though. One reason I like Hunts, is that they will set a reasonable reserve in many cases. So you can't get burned too badly. I have had a few items fail to make their reserve, for which I was very thankful. It saved me losing a few hundred dollars on each piece.

In this current economy, it is more important than ever for consignors. I know that bidders and prospective buyers like to bitch and moan about "hidden reserves" but they really do serve as an important safeguard to the consignor.

That said, the worst beating I ever experienced was in a Bricol auction. It was one of those Crosley Field Stadium Seats in nice condition with all-original paint and the figural "C-Reds" on the side panel. Purchased it for $950, and just shipping it was another $100. It ultimately sold for under $300, so I realized maybe $250. I don't use Bricol much anymore, except for the very low-end consignments that other auction houses won't look at.

Robbie
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
It's hard to imagine a great seat like that going for under $300. :eek:

perezfan
05-05-2010, 01:21 PM
It was painful... Never have I been so tempted to place a shill bid :rolleyes:

hcv123
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
(Leaving out player and auction house name per initial thread) I consigned a game used bat (which I owned at ~5k). I told the auction company I wanted close to that at the very least out of it. I was assured it would sell for 5k+ Due to some missteps by the auction house, it was delayed by ~7 months getting into one of their catalogues (2 auctions later). They advanced me 5k on the bat. When it did finally sell, it only sold for 3500. They were very honorable and did not ask for any money back. So the house took the beating - that's what I call putting your money where your mouth is!

drc
05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
One thing I never figured out is I once consigned three baseball memorabilia items to MastroNet and they put each item in a different auction, as opposed to all three in one.

The other funny one is I submitted an item to Mastro and they rejected it as a consignment. I then traded it (for a bunch of Pre-War cards) to someone who submitted it to Mastro and they put in one of their auctions. It didn't bother me as I was satisfied with the trade.

drc
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
This isn't criticism, just that I found the auction link. I like Lelands. The photographer said it cost $800 to make, he sold it to me for $500+. My intent was mostly to get rid of it as it was too big for my home. And, in fact, the photographer sold it to me because he was moving. It really is a museum quality piece, but was just too damn big to keep around the house. I actually had to store it on it's side, because it was too tall standing up.

exhibition photograph (http://www.lelands.com/Auction.aspx/AuctionDetailed/45153/February-2008-Internet/Americana/Americana/Lot432~Gia-Carangi-Vogue-54-x-36-Public-Exhibition-Photograph/page1)

bobbyw8469
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Consigned a 1955 Red Man Willie Mays 8.5. SMR on just an 8 was $1,200. Mine was a half grade higher. Last 8.5 sold for over $2,000. Mine closed at $800. After I paid comission I netted around $700. Woke my eyes up to the world of consignments.....