PDA

View Full Version : What's your worst auction consignment result?

Robbie
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
After reading all the threads about the recent REA auction, I noticed that there were some consigners who mentioned that their item sold for about half of what they were previously offered for it.

I am curious to hear what your most disappointing auction result was for an item you consigned to a major auction (not ebay). You do not have to name the auction company, and this is not to lay blame (because many factors go into selling price), but just to hear some experiences.

I will start with one item I sold back when game used bats were through the roof in value. I consigned the earliest known 1956 Frank Robinson game used bat. I don't remember seeing many or any 1950's Robinsons at that time (They are very rare with probably only 4 or 5 existing). After discussion with the auction house, I thought it would go for $8k-10k. It sold for half of that. :(

T206Collector
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
...autographed pre-war cards in one of the last Mastro auctions, and they went for what I would call "low ebay" prices at the time. My disappointment was compounded by the fact that I consigned the cards in January, was told they would be listed in April, but they didn't get listed until June, and I didn't get paid until July. If I had just sold them on ebay in January, I very possible would have done better and certainly would not have done any worse.

Oh well.....

calvindog
05-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Paul, at least you got paid without having to release the hounds.

drc
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I consigned an 1877 Boston Bostons cabinet card (w/ Harry and George Wright etc) that I paid $3,000 and it sold for $1,500 with one of the big auction houses. And I didn't overpay for the cabinet.

Robbie
05-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I consigned an 1877 Boston Bostons cabinet card (w/ Harry and George Wright etc) that I paid $3,000 and it sold for $1,500 with one of the big auction houses. And I didn't overpay for the cabinet.

Wow, David!... That sounds like an incredibly rare and fantastic cabinet that sold for much less than would be expected.

JP
05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Consigned a PSA 8 Eddie Mathews, sold for a small profit. 3 months later it sold for triple the price by someone else in a different auction. Still regret selling that card, worth 50 times what I paid for it now.

Steve D
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Back in the mid-1990s, I had a bunch of autographed items (where I obtained every autograph in person) I needed to sell. Included was a football beautifully signed by Johnny Unitas, the 1941 Life Magazine signed by Ted Williams and a Chesterfield Cigarette ad signed by both Stan Musial and Ted Williams. I was also a long-time subscriber to SCD. Well, I decided to consign all the items to (wait for it..........)

Coaches Corner!!!!! :rolleyes::eek:

Needles to say, every item sold for pennies :mad:

Years later, the truth started to emerge about (R)oaches Corner, and it all began to make sense :(

Steve

drc
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM
The cabinet was from the Copeland collection and was in a custom holder with his name on the edge. I think I might have the year wrong, though.

Pup6913
05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
The only time I ever consigned and probably the last was My SGC 7 T205 Johnson. After discussing why I should consign it to the "House of all Houses" I declined a $9800 offer on Ebay beleving that I was going to get more. It sold for $4800 less than what I was offered. So in a few months I am sure the card will surface again and it will sell for what it is supposed to. What a shame. Sellers Remorse. I should have never sold the thing.:(

irishdenny
05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Andrew,

"i feel your pain man!" Although i ook a little bit of a loss, its "ALL Good!!!" The experience and results override my pocket. Especially now that i know a board member won the Baseball side of my consignments.

i could of broke them uP and feel i would of easliy made some extra funds for other cards on my list, but it's on ta the next card manuver.

benjulmag
05-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Selling 19th century memorabilia at auction, even the really good stuff, can be very risky, unless you put a high reserve to protect yourself. The market for that material is often very thin, and if one or two big players either have the item or are not interested in bidding, the item can bomb. In the recent REA auction, for example, the sheet musics entitled the Live Oak Polka and the Home Run Quick Step did abysmally, selling for a small fraction of what they transacted for in the past. For those who collect that sort of thing, those sheet musics represent the pinnacle of 19th century chromolithography. They are quite rare and the particular pieces offered by REA were in exceptionally good condition for the issue. In the recent Heritage Auction, an N28 poster went for a steal, again much below what such an item has sold for in the past. It did have some condition issues on the borders, but the colors looked good and a good conservator could have made the item look practically brand new (which for posters seems only to enhance their value at auction).

When I look to transact 19th century memorabilia, I typically prefer private transactions, be it sale, trade or a combination of the two. Of course this requires a willingness to wait until the right party comes along, which I recognize may be not possible if there is a quick need for money. But if you have that flexibility, it is something to consider.

calvindog
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
The only time I ever consigned and probably the last was My SGC 7 T205 Johnson. After discussing why I should consign it to the "House of all Houses" I declined a $9800 offer on Ebay beleving that I was going to get more. It sold for $4800 less than what I was offered. So in a few months I am sure the card will surface again and it will sell for what it is supposed to. What a shame. Sellers Remorse. I should have never sold the thing.:(

Unfortunately, pigs get slaughtered. You had a card which sold in PSA 7 for $9800 in 2005 and then sold in SGC 70 in 2008 for $2160. And you declined $9800 without a 20% fee? The difference in fees between REA and ebay alone would have made that $9800 ebay offer worth over 11K. I can't imagine having a bird in the hand like that and not taking it.

oldjudge
05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
In many other areas of collectibles (coins, art) auction houses will guarantee a minimum realization on better pieces. It the piece doesn't sell for the minimum the house buys it. Perhaps, given the competition amongst many auction houses, it is time to seek similar guarantees in the sports collectible arena.

Peter_Spaeth
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Unfortunately, pigs get slaughtered. You had a card which sold in PSA 7 for $9800 in 2005 and then sold in SGC 70 in 2008 for $2160. And you declined $9800 without a 20% fee? The difference in fees between REA and ebay alone would have made that $9800 ebay offer worth over 11K. I can't imagine having a bird in the hand like that and not taking it.

A sadder but a wiser man he rose the morrow morn.

E93
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
In many other areas of collectibles (coins, art) auction houses will guarantee a minimum realization on better pieces. It the piece doesn't sell for the minimum the house buys it. Perhaps, given the competition amongst many auction houses, it is time to seek similar guarantees in the sports collectible arena.

Isn't that shilling? WWJD? (What would JeffL do?).
JimB

calvindog
05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Shilling? You think that is shilling? You must be joking. Please tell me you're joking. Please.

oldjudge
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Jim--House doesn't even have to bid. This amount can be the reserve on the lot and the auction opens at the reserve. If there are no bids the house has to buy it. If one person bids the house is off the hook.