PDA

View Full Version : OT Ernie Harwell Passes 92

D. Broughman
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
My condolences to the Harwell family. I grow up hearing Ernie and will miss him dearly.

insidethewrapper
05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
The voice of baseball is silenced today. If everyone was like Ernie there would be no need for war and hate. Only heaven would exist. He will be missed on this earth. What a voice , what a man.

jmk59
05-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Ah shoot. That is truly sad. The entire city of Detroit - even the state of Michigan - will be mourning the next few days and weeks.

J

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 07:00 PM
RIP Ernie.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J4QU5lZFWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J4QU5lZFWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

calvindog
05-04-2010, 07:14 PM
My condolences to his family and friends.

AndyG09
05-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Lulu and his family were by his side as Ernie left us. I look back fondly on the many nights I went to sleep to the Voice of Detroit baseball. We'll surely never have another Ernie.

CW
05-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I also grew up listening to Ernie, the voice of Tigers baseball. I hear his voice,
and I am instantly reminded of that feeling of Summer. A great announcer, and
a better man.

Each new baseball season announced by Ernie Harwell was kicked off with this quote from the Bible.

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

jmk59
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

That will bring a tear to just about anyone from Michigan.

J

Chris Counts
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Rest in peace, Ernie ...

Joe_G.
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Today there is crying in baseball. Rest in peace Ernie.

Forgive the following re-post. It was initially posted at the tail end of the last Ernie Harwell thread and may have been missed by some. I want to make sure the board realizes Ernie was a Top Notch guy, a great amongst greats, and understands the passion he shared with all of us who collect and otherwise.

Shortly after I wrote the Tomlinson Studio article for Old Cardboard (fall 2007), Ernie contacted me asking if we could meet. He is such a fan of baseball history. Long story short, my wife and I met with Ernie and Lulu for dinner and I took some of my favorite pieces including some Tomlinson cabinets (after all, that is what prompted him to contact me). After a wonderful dinner of conversation, I began sharing some items with him. Part way through, he looked up at me and with a big smile and glimmer in his eye asked if I had any Old Judges. Unfortunately, I didn't take any of them with me on that trip. I then explained how I had already studied his collection in great detail at the Detroit Public Library where he has his collection of 98 Old Judges including an exceedingly rare copy of Flynn (one of three documented examples). He recalled with great detail the items he had collected in his youth and donated to the library some 40-50 years earlier.

As we neared completion of the Old Judge book, Ernie was asked if he would be willing to write a Foreword and boy did he. It is beautiful from the first word to last, a true writing talent. My favorite part reads as follows:

"I collected these in my youth and derived great enjoyment from them. In this book, they remind me of those collecting days and how much enjoyment they afforded me. Reading this book, I felt young again."

What a pleasure it was growing up listening to Ernie. It is because of his frequent stories of baseball past that I began taking interest in early Detroit history, eventually collecting only Detroit Wolverine items.

It's time for me to call family and friends; I've yet to talk to my dad who I know is grieving with the rest of us.

Rickyy
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
My condolences to the Harwell family and all of his friends and fans.

oldjudge
05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Rest in peace Ernie.

ethicsprof
05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
my deepest condolences to friends and family,

barry

Boccabella
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
The theme that you hear over and over again with regard to Ernie is that he was a very humble man who had time for everyone--famous or not. He was completely without pretense.

I remember sitting in the press box at County Stadium when the Tigers came to play the Brewers--Ernie sitting in the booth with his familiar cap on--that great voice flowing out of the open booth.

The best of the best--and an even better person by all accounts.

jcmtiger
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
My Dad & Mom listened to Ernie, they were born in 1914 and 1921.
I was born in 1941 and listened to Ernie Harwell on the radio at night waiting for the Tigers to win and get up in the morning to go to work. And my 3 kids born 1964,1966 and 1969 listening to Ernie the same as we all did, a wonderful man with a voice never to be forgotten.

Joe

HexsHeroes
05-05-2010, 05:45 AM

. . . revolves around listening to Ernie on the radio many warm summer days and nights ago. He was also present while sitting with my grandparents during holiday gatherings on their front porch (grateful for every cooling breeze). Back when all things were far less complicated.

Your are going to be missed Ernie.

sbfinley
05-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Sad, because it really only leaves Scully as far as the legends go.

greenmonster66
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
God Bless Ernie and his family! RIP Mr Harwell! Thanks for your true dedication to our beloved game of baseball!

GoldenAge50s
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Just about ALL of the GREAT voices I grew up listening to on the radio as a kid in the '50's are gone----and they ain't makin' 'em like that anymore!