PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring to the board?

drdduet
05-04-2010, 09:24 AM
This forum is the best in its class. Thanks to its moderators and board members (most of them) it is second to none.

And as such, as members, each of us has a responsibility to bring positive value to this board. Whether it is grizzled knowledge, wisdom, or insightful curiosity, I think members should take it upon themselves to assist in keeping this board best in class.

What do you do to make this board a better place? Do you feel that you are a positive influence on this board?---One final question, do you believe that your colleagues feel that you are a positive influence on this site?

Leon
05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I just want to say "thanks". This is a great question. (and thanks for the kind words too)

wonkaticket
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Jeff Lichtman and I always bring at least 2 covered dishes to the Holiday party and we take turns driving Barry Sloate home when he's had too much Manischewitz. (He can be a real violent drunk by the way just FYI.) :)

All joking aside not sure I bring anything to the forum but I do get entertainment out of it. I've also made a few friends along the way which is a nice added bonus...as to if people like me my guess is no.

But I'm Scot/Irish we hate everyone so it's ok.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
When I'm not wasting everybody's time with Seinfeld trivia, I like to think I bring knowledge in the areas I feel I know something, as well as a steady voice when the board veers out of control.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 09:35 AM
John and I were typing at the same time. John not only brings knowledge to the board, but also a terrific sense of humor and some crackerjack skills with photoshop.:)

wonkaticket
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Barry also has a great sense of humor and makes me spell check as much as I can. :o

Leon brings a good fair sense of balance which is nice. And also bums me out each time he shows that freaking amzing Matty proof. ;)

As for card knowledge I think everyone here has a good grasp, there are some who really stand out with certain card issues...the most humble folks here tend to have the big guns when it comes to knowledge IMO.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
This is a very good question, because while most people give a lot of their time and knowledge to the board, quite a few don't, and tend to be a disruption. As I've said on a few occasions, a chatboard is not the right venue for everyone.

teetwoohsix
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I guess what I try to bring to the board is participation(as you can see by how many posts I've made in a fairly short amount of time!!).

I know I'm not the most knowledgable collector,but I am always trying to learn.I feel it is healthy to debate and discuss issues where there are different theories,and look at it sort of like "class",where the student (me) asks questions of and presents theories to the teachers (TedZ,drdduet,JimB,JimR,and many others).

I would love to see more "lurkers" become active participants,I am sure there are more people who read the board,but don't want to post out of fear of being ridiculed or shunned-I could be wrong about that (and hope I am).

I do not belong to any other forum,and have no desire to,for I think this is a unique place and really appreciate this board and everyone on it.

Sincerely,Clayton

tothrk
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
My limited knowledge is surpassed by most everyone. I mostly lurk and learn. On the plus side, as far as I know, I have not alienated anyone and have thus far resisted the urge to post my Harry Colon football card in the favorite card thread.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Clayton- nobody who asks a reasonable question about vintage baseball cards ever gets ridiculed. The people who do are usually the ones who don't listen, don't really ask questions, and get into fights with various board members over silly things. Those guys get it, and good.

teetwoohsix
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
You're right Barry,now that I think about it,I do not recall a new person being ridiculed for asking a question.I guess that was just me trying to think of a reason why someone would choose to lurk rather than get involved in the forum and participate.

Sincerely,Clayton

Mikehealer
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Good question Dr D. It made me think, and although I am not a
big asset to the board I do enjoy learning about different aspects of
the hobby. I have also made some new friends that I would not
have had it not been fo net54, and for that I say thanks to all.
I hope to finally meet many of you in person at the national this year.

Anthony S.
05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I picked up Barry and drove him to the board this morning, so I feel like I've done my part for the day.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks Anthony...and the morning commute from San Francisco to Brooklyn can be brutal!

Steve D
05-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I think I bring a desire to learn more about the cards and players we love so much. I may have been collecting for 30+ years, but I really know very little, compared to many people here.

Where I think I can contribute some knowledge, I try to do that. Mostly, I just sit back, read and absorb the information.

Steve

Rob D.
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm punctual, willing to work weekends and can sub when needed on the Net54 softball team.

Oh, and I'm a people person.

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Most here are probably too modest or humble to write anything about themselves. I'd suggest we say what we like about others and what they bring to the board.

Where else on the internet can you go and get solid information about vintage baseball cards and memorabilia? There are so many experts on this board in nearly every area of our hobby that I don't think many questions go unanswered. I've asked relevant questions on the Baseball Fever board, SABR forum and a few other boards that never get answers....that rarely happens here.

barrysloate
05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Rob- something tells me that if we were choosing sides for the Net54 softball team, you would be the first one picked.;)

JasonL
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
but I just wish everyone would stop making jokes about the size of my needle.

In all honesty, though, I wish I contributed more to this Board, and I do when I can, but the vast experience and financial resources of many collectors here eclipse me significantly. So, I think most people just enjoy the fact that I am not a "we!"

Edited to add: My contributions are often borderline disturbing, such as this question I asked myself earlier this morning, and I will pose it here as sidebar fodder: Do you think that the reason I continually receive far too many raisins in my purchased bags of trail mix is a reflection of the ongoing supply glut in the wine industry?

Kawika
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Devilish good looks and charm.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/whodaguy/websize/DSC00497.JPG

Jim VB
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Rob- something tells me that if we were choosing sides for the Net54 softball team, you would be the first one picked.;)

Maybe. If we play with a DH.

FUBAR
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I bring good looks , charm, and lame jokes.... plus alot of knowledge on UFC cards that no one else on here collects.

Howe’s Hunter
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
single-minded obsessiveness.

fkm_bky
05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I usually just take information rather than give it, but today I give....in the form of this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7d1f3b33e7/gamechangers-ep-3-a-legend-in-the-booth-with-hank-azaria?rel=player

Caution that there is some strong language, but a VERY funny baseball bit.

Bill

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Separated at birth?

Devilish good looks and charm.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/whodaguy/websize/DSC00497.JPG

B O'Brien
05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I sit in the "lurk and learn" section for the most part. My little area of collecting is well discussed here. The Board is the only place that a bunch of us get to share, see, and hear about cards at all.

I have been able to add a couple cards to the Super Set checklist over the past couple years, and have learned a good bit!

I think I add some value to the BST T section. My prices are reasonable, I beg for cards from time to time that I know are out there, but can't seem to find. I will also sell anything that isn't nailed down once I get rolling. I'm pretty sure I've sold extra stuff to people that they did not intend on buying or need a card in any way once they already bought one. I have also had folks buy just by clicking on the scan and going to my photobucket and asking about something they need more than I do, so I think I have helped at least as many folks with needs as have helped me. It feels good knowing I have put some stuff into some happy collections.

Thanks,
Bob
NEED: AB 350 and SC 350,25 Eddie Collins any and all conditions
Cash, trade, barter with chefing services, Marriott points or Delta Miles

mybuddyinc
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Bad spelling, some boxing, but, basically:

"Nothin'........ nothin' but nothin'." --- Crazy Gugenheim

:)

Section103
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Page hits. Lots and lots of page hits. Im a bit OCD so I'll sit here and refresh the same thing over and over throughout the day. Doesnt really matter if anything has been added or not.

Im here to absorb and to learn. Im not shy about stating my opinion and I have a tendency to get chatty when Im bored, but Im not adding to the collective knowledge base. My vintage knowledge is surpassed by pretty much everyone here. I know a skeleton or two's worth of specific modern card company practices, but they arent of interest here and I keep it to myself on other boards because I always get yelled down for saying what everyone already knows.

Oh, and I bought a few very small items of BST, so in a sense, I bring you all $$$$. Dont spend it all in one place.

rhettyeakley
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I personally like to think that I am able to impart some research and knowledge to the board in general, but mostly I feel like I am talking to myself, after all I don't collect T206's. The thing I find most rewarding is actually helping out those that have questions or seeing a question and then while researching it using it as a jumping off point to learn new things myself...this happens all the time.
-Rhett

Cat
05-04-2010, 12:16 PM
insight from the retirement community

RichR
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Wish I could bring more to the board but I need about 20 more years collecting to start approaching some of the board members :)

Peter_Spaeth
05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Liberal use of grinnies. :D:D

T206DK
05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
snappy one liners and comebacks ! Oh yeah, and over 25 years of tobacco card and prewar memorabilia collecting experince.I've also worked with historical document and photo preservationists. My brother and I have also been members of Ebay since it's beginning. He actually worked with their safe harbor program and the FBI back in the late 90's to help bust fraudulent autograph sellers.

chiprop
05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I try to keep the idiots in check. Otherwise, nothing.

camlov2
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I will join the "not much" category. I check the site almost daily and read quite a bit. I don't have the knowledge to add anything at this point. I hope to become more involved in the future but for now I will just be the leach that suck information from each of you. :eek: Thanks for the knowledge but most of all the laughs.

Kawika
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Separated at birth?
Both are liberal pussies with a Merkle thing going. Ever seen KO and DMcD in the same room together? Didn't think so. Coincidence? I think not.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/holygrailcards/large/DMcD828_3.jpg

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Both are liberal pussies with a Merkle thing going. Ever seen KO and DMcD in the same room together? Didn't think so. Coincidence? I think not.

AHA! I knew Olbermann posted to this chatroom.

brianp-beme
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I can occasionally be counted on for non-T206 input, somewhat akin to Rhett, but a minor-league version of him. And I pretty much limit myself to being helpful and informative, and let the masses duke it out amongst themselves. And I offer a lower condition collector perspective...and feel I let the mediocre have their voice (because they are a rather meek bunch prone to be eaten by the sharks). And sometimes my version of humor.

Brian

Jim VB
05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
AHA! I knew Olbermann posted to this chatroom.

Actually, he does. Just not very often.

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=4156

Abravefan11
05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I bring a desire to learn as much as I can and help when I can. Maybe if I'm lucky one day I'll "reinvent the wheel."

wondo
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I am the official NET54 thread killer. :D

Seriously, I occasionally help with some obscure sports fact or identification.

celoknob
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I contribute almost nothing to this board but at least I don't make it worse with this kind of trash. The good information on this site is often negated by having to read this sort of thing. Very unpleasant.

Anthony S.
05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Celoknob,

David was referring to himself and being self-deprecating.

ChrisStufflestreet
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
As for me, I have absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Just ask my wife.

thekingofclout
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
What I try and bring to the board are creativity, enthusiasm, and most of all, passion.

Best, Jimmy

sgbernard
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I got nothing. But I almost have 100 posts!

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually, he does. Just not very often.

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=4156

Hmmm...interesting. Looking at the few times he posted it was all during a time when my wife started having difficulties in her pregnancy...I was posting a bit during that time, but not reading hardly anything.

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I contribute almost nothing to this board but at least I don't make it worse with this kind of trash. The good information on this site is often negated by having to read this sort of thing. Very unpleasant.

Celo, he was referring to himself in a joking manner.

Jason Carota
05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Separated at birth?

He's aged well over the years:

http://www.mikewheatcards.com/cards/435198.jpg

slidekellyslide
05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
HA! That's so close that David should use that as his avatar. :)

jbsports33
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I feel because I am a dealer and a collector that keeping an eye on things in the hobby is always a positive so I can contribute more when others have questions. The site is a great resource and I like being apart of it when have the time.

Jimmy

Kawika
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey, how do you like my new avatar?
Where's Wonka? I want my own T206.

Kawika
05-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Celoknob, I was referring to myself and being self-deprecating in a joking manner.

Anthony S.
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I think once Wonka provides that Titus card with a pair of eyeglasses, it'll be a helluva avatar.

steve B
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I like to think I bring a little. Never had much of a budget, but I spent more time at a dealer than I probably should have from roughly 77-83 so I got to see a fair bit of stuff even if I didn't end up owning it. Considered becoming a dealer so I took time to learn about the basics of the business end. Worked in printing, a photo lab and more recently doing industrial repairs, so I've got a good foundation in how stuff gets made. And I collect other stuff too.

I try to have sensible theories and usually share them, but if they look like they're wrong, I'm ready to think again and move on rather than argue. Unless I'm really positive I'm right, which is uncommon, there's loads of gray area out there.

Haven't gone with my odd sense of humor yet. I'm sort of new, and I'm not comfortable joking around just yet. Eventually though.........

I'd like to think I'm viewed positively, but you never really know.

Steve B

E93
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
My posts rarely need to be edited by Barry.
JimB

calvindog
05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Celoknob, I was referring to myself and being self-deprecating in a joking manner.

David, even when you make fun of yourself you can't win around here!

rc4157
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
David - The resemblance to Titus is almost scary, nice eye Jason.

RC

calvindog
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh and to respond to this thread, I keep track of all the bidding parties that some of the idiots on the board have.

Browncow75
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I dont know how much tangible benefit I bring to the board, if any, however, I think I owe everyone else a thank you for the information they provide. I have learned SO much about different areas of the vintage card hobby. Its even helped me help others outside the forum, so people who dont even visit the forum have benefitted from the knowledge that is shared here. Ive even begun to branch out to other series besides T206s :eek:
In all seriousness, despite my rocky experiences with the BST section, I have enjoyed this board far more than I ever thought possible. Keep up the good work guys, and those of you who are determined to drive the board in a negative direction...PLEASE STOP IT!! lol

Brandon

Kawika
05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
This forum is the best in its class. Thanks to its moderators and board members (most of them) it is second to none.

And as such, as members, each of us has a responsibility to bring positive value to this board. Whether it is grizzled knowledge, wisdom, or insightful curiosity, I think members should take it upon themselves to assist in keeping this board best in class.

What do you do to make this board a better place? Do you feel that you are a positive influence on this board?---One final question, do you believe that your colleagues feel that you are a positive influence on this site?

OK. I've had a couple cups of coffee and am awake now. The questions Darren posed are timely and cut to the bone. I am sorry to have helped veer this thread from its original intent with smart-aleck posts - THAT'S (kinda) HOW I ROLL - but I do feel that his questions are worthy of a serious reply. I don't think I am alone in thinking that this Board has sorta gone to hell in a bucket as of late and a little self-evaluation on each of our parts is a good start to putting things right again.
When I first joined Net54 six or seven years back I didn't know very much at all about vintage cards. If the mission of the Board is to educate people about vintage baseball cards in order to promote the Hobby I have definitely been on the receiving end of that. I read everything on this Board and a lot of other related material as well - I'm retired and have nothing better to do - and am better able now to kick in with any knowledge I have accrued plus I love this stuff and I hope my enthusiasm shows. I'm along enough in years to have seen some of the real old-timers play (just consider me a slightly younger Joe P.); perhaps that perspective is valuable here. As well I consider myself the walletbone of the Hobby: a lot of Kawikabux are residing in pockets other than my own; that makes the Board a better place for some folks anyway. I suppose my occasional weisenheimer comments might be irksome to some and worsen my Luckey Shit-to-Equity metric, but if I can get Lichtman to laugh it is all worth it.
Do I believe that others feel I am a positive influence on this site? Howard doesn't but I hope the rest of you do.

oriolesbb6
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi, as a new member I don't know anyone nor can I say I've brought anything to it? I have completed a few purchases from members and enjoy the banter in the postings. I have learned quite a bit in my short time and look forward to getting to know some of you. What I can offer is the current estate auction market at the local level in NJ, NW PA & southern NY...

danc
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I won't say what I bring, but I will say what separates this Board from others is cleanliness and maturity. I like to think that I contribute every so often, but for the most, I enjoy the education I get from many of the good posters. Leon does a great job in weeding away the nonsense that other boards seem to thrive on (I get like an ice cream headache when I visit the CU Board with flashing avatars, huge banners and some of the idiots o'er there). The idiot quotient here is limited, which is good, and most didn't make the transition for some reason to the new board. Where's that pro golfer guy anyways? You know the one I speak of?

DanC

calvindog
05-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I suppose my occasional weisenheimer comments might be irksome to some and worsen my Luckey Shit-to-Equity metric, but if I can get Lichtman to laugh it is all worth it.

David, you're one of 3-4 guys on the board who regularly make me laugh (intentionally, that is).

Jason Carota
05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey, how do you like my new avatar?
Where's Wonka? I want my own T206.

Very nice!

To answer the original question, I believe I bring "insightful curiosity" (as the OP stated.) I've been in the pre-war game for a little over four years, so I have much to learn.

wonkaticket
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I think once Wonka provides that Titus card with a pair of eyeglasses, it'll be a helluva avatar.

Consider it done. Give me till after dinner...

GoldenAge50s
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I came here a few yrs ago to LEARN about PreWar cards and absorb all that is made available about them. I visit EVERY site of the Forum just about EVERY day.

I post when I feel I can contribute or when a POSITIVE remark is in order.

ullmandds
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
As a casual type collector over the past 25 years...such boards as this...along with the internet have increased my vintage stuff/card knowledge exponentially...and I thank you!

I give an occasional...usually obvious observation...give occasional dental advice or make dental observations...I sometimes share my cards...I introduced the board to the T100 silhouette honest long cut card...sorry I should have left it hidden! I played a role in discovering the single quotation variation on e94 backs...I think...maybe it wasn't me? I used to sell my cards on bst too cheaply...now they're usually too expensive...and I spend a lot of cash on cards!

wonkaticket
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
No Joe Jackson spoof..wrong font etc...but for an avatar it should do the job...

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/Mcdonald%20t206.jpg

Anthony S.
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Great stuff. I never knew David had a crease.

cfc1909
05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
that is classic John-David should love it and I am sure it will be his avatar soon...:D

Kawika
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow!! My very own Wonka FrankenMcDonald. Magnificent eye appeal, if I do say so myself, and very interesting crease migration from front to back - never saw that before. Thank you, John. I am humbled.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/websize/T206%20McDonald%20CB.jpg

Leon
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
No Joe Jackson spoof..wrong font etc...but for an avatar it should do the job...

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/Mcdonald%20t206.jpg

This is a great card!!

Abravefan11
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Congratulations David! That certainly transcends you into a new level of Net54.

ethicsprof
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
an inability to scan, no avatar,
but an incredible love for the Monster and my types
and a deeply sincere gratitude to my colleagues and friends on this top drawer board.

best,
barry

carrigansghost
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Maine history(when I get home) and early Red Sox stuff. Hey Steve we should form a class A softball team, hell we can get Rob.

Rawn

Jantz
05-04-2010, 10:53 PM

I feel that only other board members could answer these questions about me.

I know that I try to be helpful where I can and thats because so many other board members have helped me along the way.

Cool card David! Now you, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Ted Z. and Trae all have your very own T206. All Hall of Famers in my book.

Jantz

FUBAR
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the Kawika should have a Cobb back.......

I played A division beer ball a few years back... can i join the cyber softball team? (FUBAR is actually the team i played for, that is where the name comes from)

Wite3
05-05-2010, 12:08 AM
What do I bring to the board?

I bring appreciation. I appreciate the ones that came before me. The ones who laid the foundation and framework for the hobby I enjoy. I appreciate the dealers and collectors that helped me when I was young and created a wonder and obsession within my soul that never seems to be fully quenched. I appreciate those who currently support and help me to increase not only my collection but my knowledge and appreciation for the cards I dearly love. I appreciate the younger collectors who are willing to take my knowledge and help me with my research. I appreciate the ones who will come after me, who will keep this hobby alive and well for generations to come.

Joshua

irishdenny
05-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Being a lifetime lurking learner, It can be really hard to answer this question. However, wit some thought, if it wasn't fir me learning, you teacher's wouldn't have anyone to teach :)

And fir this i'm eternally gratful!

So, wit that said, in the past 6-8 + years, i've learned quite a bit about the product, the history & theories of how many items came to be.

This is my passion, i've learned more than something new every day! My personality has the tendency to drive me to ask alot of questions. i've found that reading thru the treads, most of them get answered.

i love to research. i guess what i'm trying to say is that this thread has provoked me to be more a part of, then just sitting back and learning.

So, i'm commited to be a better Net54'er!

Dankz fir da inspiration!!! ::)))

Rich Klein
05-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Based on my collecting days back in the day

And a little bit of understanding of certain aspects of this market; based on my long-term at Beckett in addition to an interest in research

Rich

cfc1909
05-05-2010, 05:28 AM
This is what David brings to the board-A Titus with a Carolina Brights back directly from the Wonka collection-if that makes sense...:eek:

sbfinley
05-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I have brought almost nothing, but I have learned an unmeasurable amount from this board.

3 years ago I purchased a t206 on ebay. Actually this one.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/sbfinley/DelahantyBVG35.jpg

It could have been that I was growing up, or getting engaged, but I had to find something that didn't involve going to the bar with my friends.

Now I am 68 deep into the monster, started a type collection, still go to the bar with my friends (occasionally), and just interviewed a wonderful man who explained the origin of Tommy Bridges' curve ball.

And yeah, my wife took the effort to make sure I won the Bridges Wheaties Cutout on ebay today. Thanks for everything 54.

Brian Weisner
05-05-2010, 06:05 AM
I've been collecting David McDonald cards with as many tough backs as possible:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/hogan6g/Scan0005.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/hogan6g/Scan0023-5.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/hogan6g/Scan0025-5.jpg

Be well Brian

PS Only the American Beauty of David has a crease....

PS 2 Hi John, I could use that Carolina Brights for my collection... trade you a Murphy/Batting for it...

tbob
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Some knowledge of caramel cards and my two passions, the T207 and M116 sets. I've learned a great deal from my years on this board, everything from spotting altered and fake cards to education on sets I knew very little about previously like the pre-1900 cards.
I like to think that I also bring friendship and have greatly appreciated all the many collectors I have known, both those I met in person and those I know only from cyberspace but have formed friendships with. I also have learned to appreciate constructive criticism and on the flip side, have learned to tune out the smart-asses who are few in number. :rolleyes:

JP
05-05-2010, 09:41 AM
To the table I bring....place settings. And witty repartee....plus a healthy dose of annoyance. My dream is to some day contribute half the amount that I get from these boards...

martyogelvie
05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
nuffin...

but I do read all the posts... for better or worse! :eek:

wonkaticket
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
PS 2 Hi John, I could use that Carolina Brights for my collection... trade you a Murphy/Batting for it...

Nahhh can't do it McDonald was a way better player..I think he might make the HOF this year. :)

toppcat
05-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I guess I bring a desire for knowledge, especially about T206, ATC and ALC. Also a penchant for Topps oddball stuff on the other side and a whole bunch of research material, which I'm always happy to dig into if someone has a request.

I try not to bring a negative attitude and stay out of trainwreck threads since I have enough stress at work. I consider the hobby just that, a hobby and try to keep it fun.

Jewish-collector
05-05-2010, 07:24 PM
To be honest with you, I don't bring a hell of a lot to the board. But, sometimes you just gotta say WTF. :D

JMANOS
05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Did u know that is the only T206 card that a player has a mustache....that's all I got.

wrapperguy
05-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess I bring knowledge of wrappers, but no one ever seems to ask about them.
Since joining the Board, your passion for caramel cards has led me to begin collecting them in earnest. Your knowledge of other vintage cards has started me on the journey into collecting other sets, like the M101-2, and variations in sets like R315, R314, etc. In other words, you guys have cost me a lot of money!
The BST has been outstanding and have done several deals there. More to come I hope. Also hope the knowledge shared and humor continue. My only regret is that I did not know about this Board earlier.

slidekellyslide
05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Jeff, even though I don't collect wrappers I found your article on them in Old Cardboard fascinating. I've only had a few...the common Gehrig Goudey and some 60's Topps.

Lordstan
05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Well,
I'd like to think I bring enthusiasm and fun. I have some knowledge, which I share when I can.
I love the spirit of camaraderie here. Even with the jousting and occasional thin skinnedness of some, the amount of information provided, without any strings, vastly outweighs any negatives.
I thank you all for the way you have all shared with me.

I think David's card is sooo cool. Does anyone have an autographed copy?
Perhaps we should create a Net54 member card set. Acc designation I-N54(internet-net54).

Mark

thekingofclout
05-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Now that I think about it, the best that I've been able to bring to this board, is my dear friend...Graig Kreindler!

www.graigkreindler.com