PDA

View Full Version : I met the white Frank Thomas yesterday

mintacular
05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Thought I would share this here as I did on the eBay forum (too lazy to rewrite :)) Any experiences/anecdotes about Frank Thomas would be neat to hear. Thanks, Pat...

I met (the white) Frank Thomas yesterday at a card show yesterday and it definately made my day since I only had sales of $100 Anyway, I'm mostly a collector but have done a bit of selling online here and also set up as a "dealer" every couple months for a regular show that I do at a VFW in McKees Rocks, a small town near downtown Pittsburgh.

So yesterday, around the middle of the show (there were about 10 dealers and only 25 other attendees the whole day), I was bored so walked over to the guy who organizes this show and he introduced me to an elderly gentlemen sitting next to him as "Frank Thomas". I thought "Wow", I have a baseball card of you...! We talked for a while and then he mentioned signing a card for me. I went to my table and rummaged through my one box of mid to low grade vintage and 'shabang!' I had a '58 of him. So I went back and got it signed (the only signed card I own).

We continued talking and apparently he is a big-time collector. We went back and forth about what sets we are collecting and he and I both are working on a '52. I asked him which ones he needed and found it neat that he rattled off the 11 names he needed (I think most were high numbers, but not Mays or Mantle...). He took my name and told me he knew of a nice guy in Oregon who he would send my address to so and this Oregon dealer would help fill my set for a reasonable price. Pretty funny, but I guess pre-internet days you had to know people to get sets filled and I think he was trying to help me out...

Anyway, that's my Frank Thomas story, hoping to see him again at another show and ask more about his playing days with Clemente, Maz., etc. I guess he was a pretty good Pirate back in the day, the back of his '58 says he was the leading hr and rbi guy for 5 seasons for the Pirates. Here is a pic of my auto'd card:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/nollpm/Thomas.jpg"]

FUBAR
05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
did you guide him towards this fine forum?

mintacular
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't think he knows what a compooter is. According to him he has 2 near complete '52 sets. I asked condition, "Are your cards nice, worn, etc?" And he said something like they were "mint". :) He asked me to look up the '52 set in my beckett, and the '53 (another set he has complete). I quoted the NM price and what a lower grade would go for. He told me that he had even much more back before his wife threw them away when he moved, and also a fire destroyed part of his collection. He said something about how cards could've put his 4 kids through college.

That said, he said he replaced most of them during the 90s...

Chris Counts
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
That's a great story!

mintacular
05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Glad you liked it...What made it best is to learn that Frank Thomas is a card collector too, not just a ballplayer who was there to sign, etc...

Wite3
05-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Big fan of Frank...here is a similar story from nearly 15 years ago. As many of you know, I am a member of OBC, an online trading club (and arguably the first online vintage trading club). Another member of OBC and I attended a small mall show in Fallbrook, CA. One of the signing guests was Frank Thomas. After meeting and talking with him a bit, he asked if I wanted to have him sign anything. I told him I did not have anything for him to sign. I explained to him that I do not do that but I prefer to shake hands. I explained that he shook hands with Hank Aaron, who shook with Mantle, who shook with Dimaggio, who shook with Ruth, etc. It was like touching history for me (I know it sounds weird but that is how I was brought up). BTW, Frank had one of the biggest hands I have ever seen. After the show we were hanging around the food court and he walked up to us and started chatting. He invited the two of us to coffee while his wife shopped in the mall. We sat down and for the next hour he told us stories of his playing days including the four HRs in a row, All-Star games, and favorite current players (if I recall he liked Chipper Jones and Cal Ripken). He told us the story of the fire and his wife throwing some of them away and we exchanged addresses. Frank became an honorary member of OBC and we helped rebuild much of his collection over the years. There was a short Sports Illustrated article that came out around that time that mentioned his collection, fire, and help with rebuilding. He always included a nice thank you note with whatever was sent to him. He was one of the nicest major leaguers I had ever met. He is a class guy all the way.

Joshua

ALR-bishop
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Two great stories. He had 11 Topps cards...1956 to 1965
56-153
57-140
58-409
59-175 & 490
60-95
61-382
62-7
63-495
64-345
65-123

mintacular
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, I guess my Frank Thomas story isn't over yet...I was sure I wouldn't here back from him since I scribbled my address down on a tiny scrap of paper. But I did, and with lightening-fast speed!

I received a hand-written letter in the mail thanking me for paying $5 he charges for an auto--which he donates to a cancer organization in the area. He also gave me the address of a dealer named David Shore from Oregon (anyone know him?) who could help me fill my '52 set...

(BTW--I think I'm going to send him a couple more cards for my PC to get signed, and would be glad to send yours along with them for the $5 he charges for the charity, please pm if interested...)

Well, here's the additional card he sent me. He also wrote "The Original One" under his signature in my letter which I thought was neat.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/nollpm/FrankThomasBowmanRp.jpg

Jim VB
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Here's my favorite Frank Thomas story.

During the 1962 season, he played for the NY Mets. This was their inaugural season and they were the worst team in MLB history. Several times, early in the season, their centerfielder, Richie Ashburn, and their shortstop, Elio Chacon, collided while chasing pop-ups. After one particularly bad collision, Ashburn talks to a coach. He was told that Chacon spoke no English and did not understand when Ashburn yelled "I've got it!"

Ashburn, being a team leader, calls a players meeting the next day. They hash it out and decide that he will yell "Yo la tengo!" in the future.

The next game, there's another short pop. Ashburn comes charging in yelling "Yo la tengo!" Out of the corner of his eye he's watching Chacon, who immediately slams on the brakes and veers off. Ashburn then proceeds to get flattened by leftfielder Frank Thomas, and the ball drops.

Frank had skipped the team meeting, and spoke no Spanish.

As Thomas is helping Ashburn up he says to him, "What the hell is a yellow tango?"

mintacular
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Funny story JimVB, thanks :)

Rickyy
05-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Here's my favorite Frank Thomas story.

During the 1962 season, he played for the NY Mets. This was their inaugural season and they were the worst team in MLB history. Several times, early in the season, their centerfielder, Richie Ashburn, and their shortstop, Elio Chacon, collided while chasing pop-ups. After one particularly bad collision, Ashburn talks to a coach. He was told that Chacon spoke no English and did not understand when Ashburn yelled "I've got it!"

Ashburn, being a team leader, calls a players meeting the next day. They hash it out and decide that he will yell "Yo la tengo!" in the future.

The next game, there's another short pop. Ashburn comes charging in yelling "Yo la tango!" Out of the corner of his eye he's watching Chacon, who immediately slams on the brakes and veers off. Ashburn then proceeds to get flattened by leftfielder Frank Thomas, and the ball drops.

Frank had skipped the team meeting, and spoke no Spanish.

As Thomas is helping Ashburn up he says to him, "What the hell is a yellow tango?"

:D That's a great story!

05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Hilarious, Jim! :D

doug.goodman
05-06-2010, 04:13 PM
That's the best story ever. Even my wife is laughing.

pclpads
05-14-2010, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=mintacular;804877]Well, I guess my Frank Thomas story isn't over yet...I was sure I wouldn't here back from him since I scribbled my address down on a tiny scrap of paper. But I did, and with lightening-fast speed!

I received a hand-written letter in the mail thanking me for paying $5 he charges for an auto--which he donates to a cancer organization in the area. He also gave me the address of a dealer named David Shore from Oregon (anyone know him?) who could help me fill my '52 set...

Pat - Dave Shore had a card shop in San Diego - "Baseball Cards Plus" - for several years. Sold it about ten years ago and moved to Bend, OR. Once up there he used to regularly run ads in SCD, where he'd sell you cards on approval: i.e., if you don't like it, send it back and don't pay. Quite an archaic concept today. He's a really good guy.