View Full Version : Baseball Card Exchange

dmurphy3mvp
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
***edited out....

inappropriate- promotional

thanks (leon)

Chicago206
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
BBCE is an excellent source for unopened product, and is just a 30 min drive from me to boot! But this post has such a cheesy "infomercial" feel about it.

Peter_Spaeth
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
What ever became of Mark Murphy, the "Baseball Card Kid"?

vintagetoppsguy
05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I trust Steve Hart 100%, but I have a problem with his wax trays. I purchased a 1975 Topps wax tray from him on eBay a couple of years ago and kept it unopened for nearly a year. Last year I decided to bust it open and it had either been resealed or repackaged. The cards inside were all VG/EX at best, many with creasing. There were also a couple of cards with gum/wax stains in the middle of the pack. I don't know how these are authenticated since the corner folds or roller marks can't be seen because of the cardboard packaging.

There was also a recent thread on the PSA boards about Steve selling some bogus 1980 Topps basketball wax trays a few years ago.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=770238&highlight_key=y&keyword1=wax%20tray

Let me be clear. I don't think Steve intentionally sold bogus wax trays to me or anybody else. IMO he is the most trusted source for unopened wax. However, I also believe that he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to wax trays and there is no way to authenticate them for the reasons that I stated above.

Leon
05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I have emailed back and forth with the original poster, Reed, and he understands a little bit more now. I hope he participates on the board and becomes a valued member. As for new cards and wax boxes......I have nothing against them at all, and it's baseball cards, so they are OK in my book. I have also heard very good things about BBCE so am not commenting on any of their goings ons, good or bad......I wish them the best of lucK!! We need more young collectors in the hobby, no one can deny that.

Chicago206
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Well done Leon, well done!

Matt
05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Well done Leon, well done!

Chicago - you may not appreciate it, but someone has to keep order on the forum; otherwise it can spin out of control. Of the many forums I have been on, this has some of the smallest moderator "interference" that I can recall.

Chicago206
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Chicago - you may not appreciate it, but someone has to keep order on the forum; otherwise it can spin out of control. Of the many forums I have been on, this has some of the smallest moderator "interference" that I can recall.

Im baffled at your response. I compliment Leon for flushing out the spam and then you tell me that I may not appreciate it? Please expound for me. I missed it.

Leon
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Hey Matt
I believe you mistook Chicago's comment. I took it as a compliment.

Chicago- thanks....and of course Matt is correct too. I/we try not to get too involved but there of course has to be some order. I am sure your comment was meant in a positive manner and I took it as such. This is a case where it's hard to tell from behind a keyboard, sometimes, what is sarcasm and what isn't. Take care all

Jim VB
05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Im baffled at your response. I compliment Leon for flushing out the spam and then you tell me that I may not appreciate it? Please expound for me. I missed it.

Chicago,

Please give Matt a mulligan on this one. He's so used to Rob D and I, and our sarcasm, that I think he assumed your "Well done!" was also sarcastic.

Matt
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Is it too late or did I already ruin the hobby? Actually, as Jim explains it, this is just evidence that he and Rob already ruined the hobby. Apparently, I can't even read straight anymore.

Chicago206
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Mulligan granted. You may continue bashing me when its warranted.:D

Matt
05-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Mulligan granted. You may continue bashing me when its warranted.:D

I think that was my maiden voyage in bashing you :)

HRBAKER
05-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Matt,
The proper penance is to forward me one, possibly two M101-6s. :D

Frank A
05-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I have had nothing but excellent dealings with Steve. He's OK in my book.

Jim VB
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Is it too late or did I already ruin the hobby? Actually, as Jim explains it, this is just evidence that he and Rob already ruined the hobby. Apparently, I can't even read straight anymore.

ROB has ruined the hobby.

I have ruined all of humanity.

Get it straight, will ya.

JP
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Gosh, Matt, EVEN I knew that, and I'm the inventor of the catch phrase. Though I'd like to say I think Jim is ruining the hobby AND humanity AND my hairline, while Rob is merely tagging along on Jim's coattails for the ride. A sidekick, if you will...

Jim VB
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Gosh, Matt, EVEN I knew that, and I'm the inventor of the catch phrase. Though I'd like to say I think Jim is ruining the hobby AND humanity AND my hairline, while Rob is merely tagging along on Jim's coattails for the ride. A sidekick, if you will...

Henchman! Not sidekick!

Sidekicks are on the side of good. Henchmen are evil.

Rob D.
05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Henchman! Not sidekick!

Sidekicks are on the side of good. Henchmen are evil.

JP's Demmit thread needs a bump on the B/S/T. It's fallen to the third spot in the tobacco section and apparently he's run out of people to thank. Want me to do it, boss?

calvindog
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Sorry, but having just read Rob's post and then peeked at JP's BST thread, I just let out a decent sized laugh. Now who says baseball cards aren't funny?

JP
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
"Henchman" seems to be a lesser status than "sidekick". Sidekick is like the vice president to the superhero president. Henchman is just one of many, nothing to distinguish him from the other thick necks. Rob deserves a real title, like assistant to the regional manager of evil.

Rob, bump it like it's hot!!

JP
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Jeff, no peeking!

p.s. Bump.

calvindog
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/03/28/19546969.aspx

Kawika
05-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Damn his lawyer is good with the bullshit. Quote, unquote.

calvindog
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Word.

Jim VB
05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/03/28/19546969.aspx

THAT is what I'm talking about.