PDA

View Full Version : A "1921" Holsum Bread anomaly

Bob Lemke
04-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been contacted by a reader who sent scans of an uncataloged card from the set we list as 1921 Holsum Bread.

The card is Sherry Magee, with the Boston Braves. Magee, who left the majors in 1919, doesn't appear in either of the sets which we attribute as being the progenitors of the Holsums -- E121 or W575-1 -- much less as a Boston Brave, for whom he last played in 1917.

I know a couple of regulars on the forum are deeply involved in the study of this "family" of cards. What do you make of this?

fkw
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Its a fake 100%.

The front is like the *Oodles Chocolates/Kendig fakes. (* Edited to correct name)

The front font (serif) is like a E135 but without a card number.
E121 style cards like Holsum should have a sans-serif style.

Back is all wrong, it should be very dark and bold. To me it looks like a stamp on back.

Leon
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Its a fake 100%.

The front is like the Opie Dildock/Kendig fakes.

The front font (serif) is like a E135 but without a card number.
E121 style cards like Holsum should have a sans-serif style.

Back is all wrong, it should be very dark and bold. To me it looks like a stamp on back.

When I saw that back I knew it wasn't like another I had ever seen. I too think it's a fake. At the bottom of this scan is how one should look......regards

fkw
04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I have not seen one of these fakes with a Holsum back til now, but they are seen with Henry Johnson, Kendig Chocolates, and *Oodles Chocolates ads on back (all stamped, not printed).

I first saw them about 2001 or so and got burnt on a Kendig, I believe Leon had an *Oodles Chocolates too and learned the same way. (*edited to correct name)

In person they are obviously fake, the stock is not right, the picture is low quality and the cards often have a slight gloss like shellac and sometimes yellowish tone.

Here is one of a few posts on them
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=475942&highlight=Kendig#post475942

Leon
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I have not seen one of these fakes with a Holsum back til now, but they are seen with Henry Johnson, Kendig Chocolates, and Opie Dildock ads on back (all stamped, not printed).

I first saw them about 2001 or so and got burnt on a Kendig, I believe Leon had an Opie Dildock too and learned the same way.

In person they are obviously fake, the stock is not right, the picture is low quality and the cards often have a slight gloss like shellac and sometimes yellowish tone.

Here is one of a few posts on them
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=475942&highlight=Kendig#post475942

The fake that I had bought, from a good ebay seller, was an e121-like "Oodles Chocolate" backed card, not an Oppie Dildock (e94 type). When I received the card it had the same exact characteristics as you mention above, Frank. It had the low quality picture, the yellow'ish brown and sort of rough cardstock, and the back was stamped instead of printed. I sent it to SGC to get another opinion and they confirmed it was counterfeit. I then returned it to the seller for a refund. He sent it to PSA and they put it in a 7 holder. If I remember correctly he threatened them with a lawsuit and I am not sure how the matter eventually got worked out. He and I have since done a few other deals, his name is Matt and I think he went by "ironman" on ebay, or something like that. I think he was some kind of weightlifter because he reminded me of Scott B.....as someone I wouldn't really want to mess with :).

Bob Lemke
04-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Makes sense. I didn't notice the serif typeface or I might have figured it out. I knew the back looked weak, but the scans that I received were not real good.

fkw
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
"Oodles Chocolate" Thanks Leon, No wonder I couldnt find it in a search :)

I need to bring my reference books with me when Im online. My memory is sometimes off.

timn1
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I know you can take Scott B. anytime.................... :)