PDA

View Full Version : 2009 National Story Posted on SportsAntiques.com

CarltonHendricks
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.sportsantiques.com/09natstorypg1.htm
Please know I have posted my story on the 2009 National Sports Collectors Convention on my website, see link above. The story includes my pre-convention road trip from Cleveland thru upstate New York, over to Adamstown PA, and back to Cleveland for the National. There are 24 pages of written account, plus another 20 or so sub- photo pages. This year I have included thumbnail photos of each featured item instead of links.

Also please note the story includes 64 photos of the net54baseball.com National dinner. Plus, as a special bonus, this year I have featured over 80 photos of the remarkable collection of Bob Mayer, who I visited in New York State during my pre-convention road trip.

I hope you enjoy the story.
Kindly -Carlton

vintagesportscollector
04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Darn you Carlton! :)...couldn't your post wait until after business hours? :) I'm at work now, but took a quick peek at the story and Mayer's collection, and now I can't wait to find some time later tonight to review it in detail. I'm heading into a meeting and this is a complete distraction. Again, looks like an amazing write up by you, and Mayer's collection looks unbelievable!!

GrayGhost
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Awesome. I'll read it tonight at some point as well.

perezfan
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Same... my boss called with "fires to be put out" just as the page was opening up. Huge distraction... how dare he!!!

BrockJacob
04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Funny how you guys say the story pulled you away from work...I was studying for a final exam and got reeled in. Got to have your priorities in order ;)

Thanks so much Carlton for all the time and effort you put into your National story. Really appreciate it.

mayx2
04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Great job Carlton,and condolences on your fathers passing. Lou

FUBAR
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
good read... my only complaint would be, i dont know who is who in the net54 photos, i wish they were labeled....

Leon.... it looks like a great spread you put on. I hope one day to venture down and attend.

perezfan
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Many thanks Carlton... as usual, a great read!

My mouth is still watering over that Bob Mayer collection. 3 Testi Statues residing on one trophy... there are no words to describe the "wow factor" of that one!

Very sorry to hear about your Father, and thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this. It is well worth it and much appreciated!

slidekellyslide
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks a lot Carlton...I always look forward to your National stories.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences.

GrayGhost
04-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Condolences on your dad, and thanks for such a wonderful story. Those are the kind I dream to do too.

Leon
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey Carlton
My condolences on your Dad also.

This was a great write up on the convention. Thanks for sharing. Depending on some things maybe there will be another Net54 dinner in 2011.....They are a lot of fun but this year I am just not into it.

vintagesportflips
04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Great write-up as usual Carlton. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Last year was my first National, and I must have went through it way to fast, because there are things I didn't even see until I saw your photos after the fact. I especially like your desciptions next to thumbnail photos - makes for a very easy and enjoyable read.

mr2686
04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Great story. Still reading it but had to take time out from work to read and comment. The one thing that did strike me as odd was the Walter T. Avery autograph for $4500. This is an important autograph, however, a large, and I mean hugh amount of his signed papers and ledgers was found not too long ago in the attic of a cottage where he once lived, which put enough autographs out on the market to reduce them to the $75 - $150 range. And another thing...I thought hot dogs were their own food group too! :eek: Thanks for the great story.

Lordstan
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Carleton,
My condolences on your father's passing.

Great story. I wish I could get the wife into a trip like that, but no such luck.

Leon,
Now I am really disappointed. The first time in a while, the National is close enough to make it worthwhile for me to go to and there's no Net54 dinner. BOOOOOOOOOOO! I protest.

Mark

Bill Rayburn
04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Carlton--Great job as usual. I have enjoyed reading your reports on The National for the last several years. So I was especially glad to meet you last year in Cleveland. Thanks for the opportunity to work on your Spalding ring bat. Great bat, even a better story. Also, thanks for the kind words on your visit to the "Three Bill's Room". We do enjoy the hobby and our association with fellow collectors such as yourself. I am very sorry to hear about your dad. Hope to see you in Baltimore this year. Keep up the good work.

CarltonHendricks
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
This is just a quick note to say thank you all for your condolences, and kind words on the story. I'm glad people are enjoying it, and I'll post more later when I get time, thanks again. -Carlton

Forever Young
04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Leon,
Now I am really disappointed. The first time in a while, the National is close enough to make it worthwhile for me to go to and there's no Net54 dinner. BOOOOOOOOOOO! I protest.

Mark
---------------------------------

Happy hour????

Jewish-collector
05-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Since there's no Net54 dinner, where in Baltimore are we having dinner ? :D

jbsports33
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
thanks - great job on the story!

Jimmy