PDA

View Full Version : Let's see the best deals you've ever made...

thekingofclout
04-29-2010, 06:59 AM
This thread was inspired by SethY's popular thread on the Card side.

Two of my TYPE I Conlon's to kick it off. I paid $550 for the Matty and the Gehrig cost me just under a thousand. Both of these came off of ebay about four or five years ago and my snipes were set for about $5,000 each. At this time, both are the only known examples to have survived...

GrayGhost
04-29-2010, 07:38 AM
One I still have..excuse the blurry picture..C. 1962 star/hof ball w Stengel, Traynor, G Sisler, McKechnie, Musial, Spahn, Alston, and many others 50.00.

one I wish I still had, no pic. Sherry Magee Large Leather, yeah, it wasnt mint, but it was 25.00. Those things go in VG (which this was) for prob 6-700 for commons today.

yanks12025
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Ive had acouple good deals. One being an early Larry Berra game used bat, paid $45 sold for $1500. Then I bought a mantle bat(game ready) paid $100(guy listed it wrong and sold it for alot more. And I did all this before I turned 19.

hcv123
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
1) Bought a magazine collection that had a "shmoo balloon" in it - almost thew it out - decided to try it on ebay (the first item I ever listed) started it at 25 cents it sold for $25
2) Bought what turned out to be a rare pepsi sign from a garbage man - $25 - had to think about it and almost passed. Sold on ebay years later for $2500
3) At a baseball card show bought a Charlies Angels doll display for ~$25 sold later for $1500
4) Same show and dealer as the doll display - bought 3 non sport full boxes for about $20 each sold between $500 and $1000 each.

theantiquetiger
04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I bought a 1972 Super Bowl program for 50 cents, sold it for $250.

I paid $6 each for these posters, cost me $17 each to frame, I could sell them for around $100 each (sold one already, but plan on holding to the rest for now):

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/theantiquetiger/LSU/framed70sposters.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/theantiquetiger/LSU/1979scheduleposter.jpg

perezfan
04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I am unfortunately more often the guy who buys high and sells low... but I have stolen a few in my time as well...

1. Willie Mays Original Hartland Statue (Mint) for $2 at a Thrift Shop (I begged them to check the back room to see if there were any more... no such luck!)

2. Rare Tony Perez 1968 Topps Experimental 3D Card for $15 in Ex/MT Condition

3. Brooklyn Dodgers 1950s Clown/Bum Pennant (NRMT) for $3 at a local Card Shop

4. 1954 NY Giants Champions Scroll Pennant (NRMT) for $3 (at the same store!)

The funny part is that both of those pennants are worth over $200... he also had a very common Pirates Pennant, which normally goes for about $30. He wanted $50 for that one, because he thought it "looked so cool". He was surprised I passed on it, but was happy to get the $6 total, for the Bums and Giants :confused:

slidekellyslide
04-29-2010, 12:52 PM
-Tris Speaker game bat $50 at an estate auction
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/Vintage%20Baseball%20Memorabilia/speakermodel005.jpg
-3 Cameo Pepsin pins at antique show for $250 (two of the three were gorgeous and probably the best examples I've ever seen)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/Vintage%20Baseball%20Memorabilia/cameo1.jpg
-Kennesaw Landis signed letter - along with a bunch of other signed baseball letters on ebay for $45
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/xItems%20that%20have%20been%20sold/june25-1.jpg
-Kennesaw Landis signed certificate on ebay for $5
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/xItems%20that%20have%20been%20sold/kml1.jpg
-Dogs Head cigarette pack $50 at antique show
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/xItems%20that%20have%20been%20sold/cigpacks001.jpg
-Walter Hagen Lucky Strike Display $75 at antique show
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/xItems%20that%20have%20been%20sold/antiq007.jpg

And a whole lot of other deals I can't remember.

scooter729
04-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I shared this a while ago when I thought I was going to have to sell it, but glad now I didn't! I got this probably 10-15 years ago directly from a former Red Sox scout who had it signed himself at the 1955 HOF induction, for about $500. A couple of other sigs not in the picture include Lefty Grove and Ted Lyons...

perezfan
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
What a killer... one of the cleanest balls EVER (and a real steal!)

Why not add Pete Rose to that panel underneath the Dazzy Vance? There's plenty of room for a bold sharpie signature if you desire!

JK... we recently saw an equally nice ball, with a sharpie Pete Rose added much later. Talk about ruining a great piece! That Vance auto, btw, is among the nicest I've ever seen. Awesome to have it occupying its own panel. Great post!

Scott Garner
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I shared this a while ago when I thought I was going to have to sell it, but glad now I didn't! I got this probably 10-15 years ago directly from a former Red Sox scout who had it signed himself at the 1955 HOF induction, for about $500. A couple of other sigs not in the picture include Lefty Grove and Ted Lyons...

Scott,
I agree that this is an absolutely KILLER ball. What a find & what a deal! Don't sell this one....

scooter729
04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys - if possible, the pictures do NOT do the ball justice at all. The sigs are much bolder than they appear, and the ball is much whiter too!

The scout I obtained it from had THREE identical balls like this. They had been tucked away and didn't see the light for 40+ years when I got them. Wish I knew enough to get all three of them from him; no idea what happened to the other two, but there are two others just like this floating around somewhere! (Of course, mine was the boldest and brightest of the three, but the other two weren't far behind at all.)

sbfinley
04-30-2010, 02:36 AM
That ball is sick. Nuff said.

thekingofclout
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I closed this iconic TYPE I photo of the Captain for $500 and the classic TYPE I of Maris breaking the Bambino's record. $250. Both via ebay four or five years ago.

thekingofclout
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Show us the best deals you've made.

These two TYPE I Cobby's set me back $350 for the both of them. The second being a Louis Van Oeyen original.

GrayGhost
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Question Jimmy. Is the image the only consideration for you? The chipping and mount (if applicable) might bother me some.

D. Broughman
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Picked this 1889 Trophyball up at my local auction for $175.00:D

GrayGhost
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow.. thats freaking AWESOME, that ball. CONGRATULATIONS.

D. Broughman
07-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow.. thats freaking AWESOME, that ball. CONGRATULATIONS.

Thanks here is a picture of the team.

mcgwirecom
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Bought this Babe Ruth bat on Ebay for $500. Thought it was a store model. Sold it to a bat dealer for $8000. I really don't think it was his but the dealer didn't mind. Saw it on Ebay bot long ago looking to get $25,000 but no bids.

JohnH19
07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
A couple of very desirable board games from the 1960's that usually sell in the $500-$600 range:

-Challenge the Yankees. $135 on an eBay Buy It Now listing where the seller grossly understated the condition of the game. He described it pretty much as a beater but it's probably one of the nicer copies to be listed in the last few years. The box lid with the gorgeous artist's depiction of old Yankee Stadium is usually in rough shape but mine is in excellent condition as are the game components and the terrific player photo cards.

-Bamco's Hank Bauer Be A Manager game. Coincidentally also $135 in a bid style auction. My copy is the 1967 AL edition, again in excellent condition. This is one of the rarest of modern day baseball games and always goes high. For some reason this one stayed within my price range and I was lucky enought to snipe it for a very low price.

Two other bargains that come to mind are 1960 and 61 season complete APBA Baseball games both in gem mint condition. I paid $82 on eBay for the 1960 season game and $45 on an small obscure auction site for the 1961 game. The listings made no mention that either game was in unused condition so I had no idea until I opened up the packages. Needless to say, my jaw dropped when I saw what I had and it was all I could do not to drool all over the 40 year old (at the time) pearly white player cards.

thekingofclout
07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Question Jimmy. Is the image the only consideration for you? The chipping and mount (if applicable) might bother me some.

Good question Scott.

If it was a Carl Horner Cabinet, then yes, it would bother me and I would have passed on it. However, this Cobb image is in terrific condition and lightly pasted to an album page with two small family photos pasted on the back side.

A conservator should have no problem whatsoever removing the photos from the paper. If it is a problem, I'd simply have it matted once I decided to frame it.

Best, Jimmy

Yankeefan51
07-19-2010, 04:42 PM
We have worked long and hard to build and world class baseball memorabilia collection. Back in1981 we acquired the Highest graded Four Base Hits and Highest Grade just So for $750 total

Whilst many of the key items that we acquired back in the late 1970's are now dream deals, it is our more recent "deals (steals) that make us proud.
Ouur best deals came when we worked with someone who had nothing to do with the hobby and we vigorously pursued them

1) 1930s ST; Louis Stars cabinet with twoHall of Famers- bought on the spot at a LA bowling alley for $100 cash- recently turned down 8500

2) 1912 Boston Garter Color card bought from a school teacher- non collector
after developing an 18 month acquisition plan $1200

3) E 107 common PSA 6 - bought in a local card shop that sold "new cards for $5.00

4) Ultra rare 1923 Negro League World Series program- in a trade for an item we had valued at $1200-

5) 2 "raw PSA Ramlys- traded with a young collector back in the early 90's
We traded three T-206's then worth $100 maximum- card value today close
to $10,000

Whilst the web and publicity have made it far more difficult to buy world class, high grade material at below market prices- we never stop trying.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Gary Dunaier
07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I collect celebrity signed checks, and this one was waaay out of my normal price range (which is "el cheapo" :eek: ) but it fell into the category of "gotta have it"... if memory serves me right it was a "Buy It Now or Best Offer," I made a "Best Offer," and it was accepted.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/4232830364_d86f1cabb0_b.jpg

It's a Casey Stengel check written October 12, 1961, two days after the expansion draft in which the players who would comprise the inaugural 1962 Mets were selected... note the reference in Casey's very own hand to "N.Y. Expenses N.Y. Mets," six months before the Mets would play their very first game. Unfortunately the "N.Y. Mets" part is affected by bank cancellation holes, but it's still a pretty neat item.

Not sure I want to say exactly how I paid for this but it's my understanding that, given the price of Casey Stengel checks in general and the historical nature of this one in particular, I got a great deal.

David Atkatz
07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
it is our more recent "deals (steals) that make us proud.
Ouur best deals came when we worked with someone who had nothing to do with the hobby and we vigorously pursued them

Yesiree... there's nothing compares to fleecing someone who didn't realize what he had.

Whilst the web and publicity have made it far more difficult to buy world class, high grade material at below market prices- we never stop trying.

No... I wouldn't imagine that you would.

Jim VB
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Yesiree... there's nothing compares to fleecing someone who didn't realize what he had.

No... I wouldn't imagine that you would.

+1

The high flying financial genius is crowing about screwing a school teacher. Nice. Very nice.

jerseygary
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
How did he fleece a school teacher? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that he (them?) didn't twist an arm or threaten his family in order to buy what he wanted. What was to stop the teacher from shopping the thing around? I think I recall a thread on this some time ago, offered a vacation deal or something, right? I also think I remember that there was some other buyer trying to get the piece for a long time and Bruce swooped in and got it instead. That's terrible, but the seller should have been aware that the thing was worth something special if 2 collectors are hovering around trying to get the thing. It wouldn't be a great deal if you don't get it for under the market value, otherwise it is just a purchase.

And come on, I might just be an infrequent poster here but I get tired of people jumping all over Bruce for doing just what he does. Lets see some more great deals!

Oldtix
07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I've had some wonderful finds over the years...a Frank Baker decal minibat for $10; a 1919 Cincinnati World Series program for $200; a set of Polo Grounds cards in the original box for $60; a 1947 Babe Ruth Day ticket for $1...but I made my best deal ever when I was eight years old.

My older cousin had a huge set of HO model trains that I coveted. Seeing the opportunity to sell them to finance his newfound pursuit of the female of the species, he allowed my uncle (his dad) to put the hard sell on me and my dad. He wanted $10 for the entire layout...a significant sum to someone whose weekly allowance was 25 cents. Try as we might, they wouldn't budge on the price. So finally, in an inspired moment, I asked him to throw in his 1956-63 baseball and football card sets. Best $10 I ever spent!

David Atkatz
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
How did he fleece a school teacher? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that he (them?) didn't twist an arm or threaten his family in order to buy what he wanted. What was to stop the teacher from shopping the thing around? I think I recall a thread on this some time ago, offered a vacation deal or something, right? I also think I remember that there was some other buyer trying to get the piece for a long time and Bruce swooped in and got it instead. That's terrible, but the seller should have been aware that the thing was worth something special if 2 collectors are hovering around trying to get the thing.

You don't remember correctly. There were not two collectors. (Unless Bruce counts as two.)

Yankeefan51
07-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Two points

For the Boston Garter card we were competing with one of the country's most knowledge pre WWI type collectors. This gentleman has one of the very best collections in the country...and very few people know he is.He was the one who met the "teacher first" but gave up
By the way, the high school teacher bought the card for a dollar

Two, we wonder if David and JimVB were at a flee market and saw a genuine
1923 Yankee Stadium Opening Day program for say $100. Would Skidmore's esteemed Associate Physics professor say- sir this is worth $10,000 at auction- let me have it, and I'll turn it over to ROB LIFSON and ensure that you receive every nickel you are entitled to?

And if the Saint from Texas found some near mint T 206 Southern league players at a garage sale taking place because some 85 year old man
passed away, we are quite sure he would say let me get these graded, and then I will come back to you and pay you 90% of SMR

They must smoke some funny stuff at Skidmore and down Texas way, if they
think we did anything wrong.

Sounds like it is time for David and JimVB to get off their "high horses"
They have been kicked in the head once too often.

PS- Is it true that the two of you will have large signs at the National
that say bring me your cards and memorabilia first, so we can tell you how to obtain top retail value?

Need we say more?

Bruce Dorskind
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

mjkm90
07-20-2010, 03:54 AM
-Eddie Collins Goldsmith glove $45 (found is icecream shop)
-Walter Johnson glove $45 (same as above)
-35" Jimmie Foxx Hanna Batrite with flying bat logo $3 (in a barrel of handles at an antique show)
-Near set of Browns and Wolverines Scrapps $200 (antique shop)
-Rocky Colovito gamer $15 (antique show)
-Two different Cubs Tobacco Tins and a 1930 Cubs figural paperweight $150 (ebay)

GrayGhost
07-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Sherry Magee large Leather (L-1?, I don't know the designation). Antique paper show. 25.00. Wish I had it today, did resell it for 300 a long time ago.

Exhibitman
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Much as it pains me to say so :) , Bruce is right. This thread brags about deals, so why give him crap over having made great deals?

My favorite deal of all time was made when I was 12. I was trading cards with another kid and had him throw in a strange looking card to close the deal for a 1968 Clemente. It was a 1958 Bell Brand Gino Cimoli, which is one of the difficult short prints, and was worth more than all of the other cards combined. And yes, I knew it was a rarity when I asked for it as a throw-in.

Best recent deal: paid $30 for a W530 (Pinkerton score card) of Hughey Jennings, ex condition.

Jim VB
07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
...so why give him crap over having made great deals?

1. Because it's Bruce.

2. Because of the phrasing he uses. If he simply said "I once picked up a Boston Garter for $1200...", that would be acceptable. But, instead, he says, "1912 Boston Garter Color card bought from a school teacher- non collector
after developing an 18 month acquisition plan $1200."

No one else on this board would crow about it in such a manner.

3. Because it's Bruce.

4. Because in every one of his "America's Toughest Want List" posts, he promises to pay top dollar.

5. Did I mention, because it's Bruce.

Bobsbats
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Bought a M101-6 Heilmann for 75.00 about 15 years ago at the Fort Washington show...and a M101-1 Lajoie on Ebay for 150.00 about 8-10 years ago.....both are gone now, but we ( my dad and I ) made a nice profit for other stuff.

Yankeefan51
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Dear JIm VB

You continue to amaze us.

But when your time comes, your tombstone is sure to read:

...Because it was Bruce

And we trust that someone special will regularly place poison
Cactus next to the stone.

Funny the Old Cardboard profile forgot to mention
the finer aspects of your sociopathic personality.

We will be at the NATIONAL.We would love to have a contest with you.
We can have a question and answer contest on rare high grade
cards- say at $1000 a question - cash on the line.

And when you are humiliated and broke- we'll be delighted to hear you
say "Because it was Bruce."

Are you getting that tired old horse and buggy ready for the drive up to
Baltimore? There are some wonderful trailer camps where you can stay
along the way.

Time to give up- we're sick of all that hot, poison air

Because It Is Bruce

Jim VB
07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Funny the Old Cardboard profile forgot to mention
the finer aspects of your sociopathic personality.

LOL!

Wasn't it just a month or so ago that you claimed not to know what Old Cardboard was? Now you're a subscriber?

Yankeefan51
07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in
Honky Town

We have been a subscriber to Old Card Board since its inception.
a charter advertising and a contributer.

Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin?

By the way to whom does "ruining humanity since 1955 refer to.
It was certainly not the year we were born- were you born that year?

Happy Trails

Bruce Dorskind

Al C.risafulli
07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Its a shame, this could have been a good thread.

Ive always been a card guy, but have been getting more into the memorabilia end of things lately. I've gotten a couple of nice deals on eBay over the last year.

First, I found a broadside from the Newark Peppers, advertising their games. Its a great piece, especially considering that i collect items related to baseball in new jersey. REA sold one a few years ago for something like 2K; I believe I got mine for $300.

Next, I got a very large tin sign advertising jacob ruppert beer - it's something like 3 1/2 feet long or so. It was in a weird category on bay, and i got it for a little over $100.

Lastly, in the most recent REA auction,i won the scorebook from the 1867 Bernards Base Ball Club of Basking Ridge, NJ. To me, this is a true treasure - given the year of the first game in Hoboken, this has got to be one of the oldest surviving relics documenting baseball in NJ, over the years it has made the rounds and wound up being displayed at various events throughout the state, and during that time it picked up a few autographs, notably Jimmie Foxx. I think this is. A museum quality item, but apparently im the only one who thinks so, since i won it for the opening bid.

I also have some very cool correspondence related to casey stengel, but vie posted that stuff so many times over on the card side that I will spare you all.

That's my contribution.

Al

Kawika
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in Honky Town.
We have been a subscribers to Old Card Board Cardboard since its inception,
a charter advertising advertiser and a contributer contributor.
Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin?
By the way, to whom does "ruining humanity since 1955" refer to?
It was certainly not the year we were born- were you born that year?

Happy Trails

Bruce Dorskind

Hoo Boy! The Carpet Bomber is criticizing Jim's English. Surreal stuff. Go get 'em, Bruce!

Jim VB
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM
We have been a subscriber to Old Card Board since its inception.
a charter advertising and a contributer.

From the March thread "The Net 54 100", posts #193 and #194, you claim to have NEVER heard of Old Cardboard.

G'night Brucie!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122077&highlight=net54+100&page=3

Adam

When our time comes, we are more than certain that there will be a group of people that care by our side

Whilst we have never heard of the magazines you reference, we wonder if your obsession with masturbation emanates from the fact that you can't satisfy your wife or that she is sick and tired of you.

Your vile commentary is shameful at best. We will be in Baltimore. If you want to confront us, so be it. You will pay the price, big time

GKreindler
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,

These might not fall into the category of 'best deals ever made', but I think it could count for me. Because of the kind of work I do, obviously photographs of players are always appreciated. But since I try to be as historically accurate as possible, putting them in proper context is even more important.

So, when I learned about the Harry M. Stevens ballpark panoramic photographs years ago, I nearly flipped - I knew it would be imperative to get as many of them as possible.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, Lelands auctioned them off sometime in 1996. The original purpose of these photographs was to demonstrate to advertisers the state of their scoreboard ads for a given year. Now, the image clarity of these photos is astonishing, as they were produced straight from good ol' glass plate negatives. The dates depicted ranged from 1934 to 1956 I believe, and many of the MLB ballparks were depicted, including: Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway, and Braves Field.

I've managed to get my hands on many of them over the years through eBay, most of which were of Yankee Stadium. I've put most of them right back on the site, as I only needed scans of them for my reference, and never had a need for originals. I do still have a few left, however.

Anywho, here are two examples:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/1-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/2-1.jpg

I definitely paid a lot for them, but they've been absolutely invaluable for my artwork!

Graig

Yankeefan51
07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Jim VB

It certainly takes a twisted mine to twist the facts, even when they are right in front of your eyes.

The magazines that we "never heard of" are referenced in the paragraph below.

This is our final response . Once again you and the Nutty Professor attempted to take over a post by attacking us for addressing the issue as we see fit.

In the future- we will send our correspondence directly to David and you,
and copy Leon. We do not want waste the Board's time addressing your deeply troubled minds.

The original post to which we responded:

or perhaps just the latest issue of "Big 'Uns", or "Stud" or whatever else squeezes your lemon), odds are that no one would know, care or find out until the rotting smell offended your neighbors.

Our apologies to other Board Members- clearly there is no stopping JimVB's
rants- perhaps we should start a fund so he can obtain the proper medical
treatment

All the best

Bruce Dorskind

David Atkatz
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Much as it pains me to say so :) , Bruce is right. This thread brags about deals, so why give him crap over having made great deals?

Why?

Because it's one thing to have put a lowball bid in on eBay, and then wake up the next morning to find you've won the piece for a really great price.

It's quite another to buy something at 1/10 market value from someone who's not aware of what he's got, and then announce on the forum how proud you are for having taken the fool.

And, oh yeah, because it's Bruce. :D

FUBAR
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
would you guys stop bickering and hijacking the thread... i want to read about "best deals," not read you guys pissing and moaning over and over!

Make you own thread... BRUCE(and friends) VS JIM (and friends).. the battle continues... and have at it

that would be THE BEST DEAL YET!

Sorry for being a bit of a dick here but the same crap gets old!

Forever Young
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Now I feel bad...
Graig...do you want your dum dum back???

BrockJacob
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I cant remember exactly how much I paid for this but know it wasn't much. Home Run Derby memorabilia from the TV show days seems virtually nonexistent so I was thrilled to pick this for cheap.

perezfan
07-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Brock is being very modest, to say the least. He is "The King" of finding hidden gems, and was the first person I thought of when I read the title of the thread.

I could list at least a dozen (that I'm aware of) on par or even better than the Home Run Derby Cap. Most of Brock's acquisitions leave us scratching our heads and saying "How on earth did we miss that one?"

thekingofclout
07-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Brock is being very modest, to say the least. He is "The King" of finding hidden gems, and was the first person I thought of when I read the title of the thread.

I could list at least a dozen (that I'm aware of) on par or even better than the Home Run Derby Cap. Most of Brock's acquisitions leave us scratching our heads and saying "How on earth did we miss that one?"

I completely concur with Mark. I'm just thankful TYPE I photos aren't at the top of his list! ;)