PDA

View Full Version : Early Football Question

aelefson
04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi-
I recently acquired the football scanned below and I had a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.
1. Any idea on the approximate age? I was told that it was possibly pre 1920 because there is no airhole to inflate the ball. Is this accurate?
2. Is it possible to tell the shape of the ball in its current state? Or, is there another method to better pin down the year this was made?
3. Has anyone had a ball like this filled? How much did it cost to have the service performed, or did you do it yourself? Is it difficult to do?
4. Any clue as to the manufacturer?
Any additional information regarding this ball would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

vintagesportscollector
04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Alan- I'm not an expert but the lack of an airhole would indicate a pre 1920/30 ball, I believe. Can't help with better dating or the manufacturer. Unless you want to replace with a new air-bladder, I would recommend filling with Poly-Fil foam. Polyfil works great, gives a solid shape and feel for display, and is very easy to use - just stuff the ball. You can also replace the laces with leather laces, and then finish off with some Mink oil for a great patina.

vintagesportflips
04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I think this ball probably dates to right around 1920. I have had several melon balls that I originally purchased in this flat/shrunken state, but even in that state they looked more snub-nosed on the ends. Yours doesn't have that melon look, so think around 1920 is right. As to a manufacturer, impossible to tell by that photo. Sometimes, once they are cleaned up, a makers mark or logo becomes more visible. I have had several balls like this restored (cleaned/stuffed with polyfill or a new bladder/ and laced), and have loved the outcome. The cost is around $75 to $80. If you are interested in having something like this done, send me a message, and I'll get you the email of the person I use

aelefson
04-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the information. I have not decided if I want to fill it yet, but I very much appreciate your responses. kjjavic, I will definitely let you know if I decide to fill it so I can get your person's contact information.
Thanks again,
Alan