PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Cobb T206

perezfan
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Please see attached Ty Cobb T206... I purchased this at the infancy of my collecting "career", and have had it for nearly 20 years. I bought it at a local show, well before the days of home computers and ebay...

The 3 corners with the stains bug me, and if I were to do it now, I would have held out for a better example. That said.. is this card a candidate for soaking? I assume the stains are from mounting corners in an album many years ago. Would soaking the card get rid of (or lessen) these stained areas? I am leary of doing it myself (especially to a Cobb) and would rather experiment first with a beat-up/worthless common.

The other alternative I was wondering about is Dick Towle. I read a few articles about him and his company (Gone With the Stain). But they apparently have no Website, and the email I was given for him failed to elicit any response. Does anyone know if Dick Towle would be a viable alternative for this card, and whether or not he is still doing this type of work?

I want to add that I am not looking to have this card graded, and simply am looking to approve its current appearance. I know there's a philosophical divide among Net54 members, so am hoping to avoid a moral right/wrong debate. I just want feedback on how to remove these stains most easily/safely/effectively.

Any input and opinions are very much appreciated.... thanks!

Rob D.
04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Mark,

I don't know how you e-mailed Dick, but he's listed on this page of the Net54 directory, with a link to send an e-mail. Maybe sending him one this way would generate a response (if that's not how you previously did it).

http://www.net54baseball.com/memberlist.php?&pp=30&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=D&page=3

JP
04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Are the stains glue residue? Looks as though this was album mounted...

perezfan
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks Rob.... I'll try that!

Not sure if it is glue rsidue or not. I don't think so, because glue residue would more likely be on the reverse. The browned areas are not "raised" and appear to be residue from those old fashioned mounting corners that were used to mount photos in the "old days"...

Browncow75
04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I know him quite well, and I think he could help you. I sent you a PM with his current email. Tell him Brandon Brown sent you! Good luck!

Peter_Spaeth
04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Good to know of another great guy. :D

perezfan
04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Well. it actually took 6 posts to go there (better than I anticipated, and admittedly pretty funny, Peter ;) )

Browncow75
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
We are all great guys 'til you get to know us! :eek:

FUBAR
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
i can vouch for myself, i am pretty darn good.......

3-2-count
04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi Mark. Not that it matters, but I personally like the card just the way it is.
Classic Cobby......

M's_Fan
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi Mark. Not that it matters, but I personally like the card just the way it is.
Classic Cobby......

+1

Nice Cobb! A few stains but they are off in the corners, it presents quite nicely. If I were you I'd leave it as is, or sell it and upgrade.

perezfan
04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Maybe you guys are right...

I used the photos that highlighted the stains the most. In person, they are not nearly as pronounced as the pictures portray. Maybe I will just leave it alone.

That said, I do think it's one of the prettiest cards ever, and would someday like to have a clean example of one. If I sold this one, would it be best to have it graded first? And if so, what grade would it most likely get?

I'm not a "grading fan" per se, so if it only got a grade of "AUT" it might be better just to sell it like it is, raw... is that right?

scottglevy
04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I would guess it would get a '2'.

However, if you are interested in selling it ... I'd love it for my raw set, Just shoot me a line.

Regards,
Scott

T206Collector
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
....a clean card, I suspect you could get an SGC 40/VG/3.

Leon
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
My guess on the grading would be a 20-30. I don't think it will reach a 40 with those tape marks. I do think it will grade though as the tape isn't holding it together and it certainly wasn't done for a nefarious reason. Unless you work a deal out with Scott L, or someone experienced on the board, I would get it graded. You will make back your $10-$12 grading fee and then some. Just my half cent of an opinion. regards

jbbama
04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
The bottom line is that is a beautiful card, you cant go wrong with any of the mentioned ideas.

Pup6913
04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Good to know of another great guy. :D

If that comment was directed where I think it was I agree.

As far as the Cobby I think it is a great card and should have a SGC slab around it to highlite the beauty of it. The black will make it POP nicely and I am sure after 20 yrs another 20 in a SGC slab with be just as pleasurable.