PDA

View Full Version : Question on SGC?

timber63401
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
They have a tier which is $250 max value. Is that book price or our you suppose to take condition in consideration? I have a few Im thinking about sending in that in the condition wouldn't be worth that much but might "book" for more. Thanks.

GoldenAge50s
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Timber---

Put down the value based on the condition of YOUR card that you are submitting. The value is to determine shipping Insurance and replacement and also for the grading tier.

timber63401
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks

glchen
04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a couple of other questions about declared value of the item. What if you bought a card at a substantial discount since it is of dubious authenticity? Would you just put the price that you paid for it? If it were authentic, however, the card would be of considerably greater value. The second question is similar. What if you purchased the card for lesser value for that grade b/c of the grading firm for the card? However, if the card does crossover at that grade, it would be worth considerably more? For example, at the Heritage auction, I saw a T205 Walter Johnson that was graded by GAI at 8.5. If it crossed over at 8.5 for SGC, I think the card would be worth more than it sold for. Thanks.

PWeso81
04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Without trying to hijack the thread...I have some raw T206's (all commons) that I would like to get graded. I have never submitted anything. I was close to sending in a Cobb (green) SGC graded to PSA with hopes that it would be graded the same...or better. Thanks to some of N54's members, I was quickly talked out of it. I guess my question is...When do you submit something for grading and when do you pass? Of course everyone thinks their item is worth more than it actually is by nature. But, when it is grossly undervalued...

How much trust should you put into your opinion?

Thanks

Pat

Abravefan11
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
How much trust should you put into your opinion?

Thanks

Pat

Pat,

If you get it really wrong SGC will correct you I believe.

PWeso81
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Pat,

If you get it really wrong SGC will correct you I believe.

Thanks

Do they provide an explanation as to why they saw different?

IMO, People that do not know a thing or two about vintage cards are not sending them into SGC.

steve B
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure about the explanations, but when I submitted my first 5 cards for grading at the Shriners show I asked about the valuation section. After a brief look, probably less than 30 seconds, the guy there (Sorry guys, I forget who I talked to) said "mid grade t206 commons, put down $100 each." Simple as that.

I thought the cards were really nice ones, and they came back over a pretty wide range of grades40-84 with one not graded because of a miscut. Overall a good learning experience- the 40 had a gouge on the back that was tiny but deep, and I'd totally mised it. They also answered a couple technical questions I had readily and wih sensible answers. Totally different from my experience asking questions at a PSA booth a few years ago.

I don't think I'd send in cards that I didn't think were pretty nice. I feel I can figure out which ones are poor-fair all on my own. But a fragile card, might be better protected by the holder, and some people like having every card in the same holder.

Steve B

Jim VB
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a couple of other questions about declared value of the item. What if you bought a card at a substantial discount since it is of dubious authenticity? Would you just put the price that you paid for it? If it were authentic, however, the card would be of considerably greater value. The second question is similar. What if you purchased the card for lesser value for that grade b/c of the grading firm for the card? However, if the card does crossover at that grade, it would be worth considerably more? For example, at the Heritage auction, I saw a T205 Walter Johnson that was graded by GAI at 8.5. If it crossed over at 8.5 for SGC, I think the card would be worth more than it sold for. Thanks.

You need to put down the value you would expect to get back if the item was lost in transit. Selecting high or low won't impact the grade, but it would change your insurance on the return shipment.

And yes, once it's been graded, if you guessed way too low, you'll propably get a call and the shipping/insurance charge might change.

PWeso81
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the input, Steve.

I guess it all boils down to what you want in the long run. If you are looking to sell...then gamble and see what it grades at. I, for one, will not buy anything ungraded off of the Internet. I also do not intend to sell. But if you truely like the card (or cards)...you should keep as is. You shouldn't need a secondary grading co. to tell you how great your card is. Thanks for helping me answer my own question! That is why I love this forum.

Pup6913
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM

First thing is post a pic of the card here and we can tell you wether it is fake or not most of the time. May save you some hassle. Secondly I bid on that WOJO in Heritage and backed away early on. That card is no where near an 8.5 much less it crossing to SGC or PSA is already a long shot but I am sure a nice PSA or SGC
7 may fit if the card was good. There are alot of surface scratches in the gold border and some other flaws that really stand out when its close. $13xxx was way to much for the card IMO. Congrats to the seller though. Had this been in a SGC slab it would have been the highest graded example and may have sold for $20k+. Who cares about PSA anyways as everything they have seems to be the highest example graded due to lax standards:D

glchen
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Definitely made a lot of sense.

I bid on the WOJO too, and had the high bid in the beginning of the last day. I was already having dreams in my head of crossing it over to SGC, and willing to accept an 8 from SGC. Then the bidding got crazy. :)