PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Hartland THE CONFRONTATION in the box

whiteymet
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi All:

I am in need of some guidance. I have the opportunity to pick up what I believe to be the rarest Hartland EVER. The Dallas Confrontation IN THE BOX.

As many of you may know Frank Fulop had a few of these which he (badly) hand painted and added a lucite base to. However he never had a box.

The story goes that the Confrontation was made right at the end of the company's history and that the box company came and repossessed the boxes for lack of payment. It is unknown how many of these were actually sent out to collectors who ordered them. I know lots of guys including me who never got theirs!

With the next rarest, Feller, recently selling for $2500 on ebay and the fact that we have seen multiple Fellers on the market over the years and NO Confrontations I am wondering the value of this piece. There can't be more than a handful out there.

The guy who has it has asked me for an offer. Thus my coming to all of you for opinions. I have included a photo for all to see. For those that do not know, the Confrontation is the only one not to come in a green box like the Gehrig, Ford, Clemente, Dean, Cobb, Feller . Rather the box is a grayish brown.

So please take a look and pass along your advice.

Maybe I should also ask, does anyone out there have one??

perezfan
04-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I have been under-bidder twice (in 15 years), and each time, the peice ended up going for roughly $2,800 - $3,000. I have NEVER even seen it, other than those 2 times (the most recent of which was over 10 years ago), but have heard lots about it. I have needed it to complete my set as well, but have resigned to be content with just the Ump portion.

I've kinda given up on ever getting it, and even if it somehow came available, am not sure I could justify the cost. I think Kevin Cloutier might have an authentic one with the correct box, but other than that, I don't even know anyone who owns this. Even at the National, you never see it. I have seen booths where every Hartland imaginable is displayed (including Feller), but never the Confrontation + Box. We've all heard the rumors, but I truly believe less than 15 of these exist.

Perhaps you could offer the seller 2K, and see where it goes from there. He is sure to counter... I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend (and how low he's willing to go). If you end up getting it for $2,500 or less, I suppose you've done well. Hartland made a remake of this, that some people think has value. Of course it doesn't, as it was mass-produced. So to own an authentic original Dallas version would put you in an elite group of collectors. Be sure to let us know how this turns out!

whiteymet
04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Tell me about it!! i Know how rare this peice is. But he tells me if the Feller goes for $2500 and we have seen many of them and we have not seen ANY Confrontations, they must be at least three or four times more valuable than the Feller.

He has already turned down an offer of $5000.

perezfan
04-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Well... it's not only about rarity. Demand and desirability have to come into play at some point. Most collectors would love to have a rare and well executed statue of Bob Feller, but how many really care about a statue of a rather ugly umpire and a generic guy who looks kinda like Sparky Anderson (in his later days with Detroit).

Sure it's ultra rare, but so are lots of things. Steve Balboni's game used jock strap is probably a one-of-a-kind item, but how much would it go for? A bad example I know, but rarity isn't the sole factor that determines price. I would definitely pass at that price, unless you feel you can't live without it.

Bottom line.... it's a generic piece in which production was freakishly halted. I don't think the market for this piece is big enough to warrant anything over $3K. Just my opinion.... I think the seller is being greedy and that it would go for maybe $2,750 in a Lelands or Legendary type auction.

Hope this helps!

Forever Young
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Well... it's not only about rarity. Demand and desirability have to come into play at some point. Most collectors would love to have a rare and well executed statue of Bob Feller, but how many really care about a statue of a rather ugly umpire and a generic guy who looks kinda like Sparky Anderson (in his later days with Detroit).

Sure it's ultra rare, but so are lots of things. Steve Balboni's game used jock strap is probably a one-of-a-kind item, but how much would it go for? A bad example I know, but rarity isn't the sole factor that determines price. I would definitely pass at that price, unless you feel you can't live without it.

Bottom line.... it's a generic piece in which production was freakishly halted. I don't think the market for this piece is big enough to warrant anything over $3K. Just my opinion.... I think the seller is being greedy and that it would go for maybe $2,750 in a Lelands or Legendary type auction.

Hope this helps!

Agreed.
Even with the Steven Balboni part....

collectbaseball
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't collect Hartlands or figurines at all... but for that kind of money you can get a Babe Ruth signed ball. While not as rare, I'd go with the Bambino.

Rob D.
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I have a brown-paper shopping bag in my collection from Fisher's Foods in Cleveland that dates to the 1960s. At the top of each of the larger sides of the bag is a full-bodied Chief Wahoo standing atop the Fisher Foods logo. It's in wonderful condition. I've been collecting Cleveland Indians memorabilia for more than 30 years, and I've never seen another. Because of the nature of the item, I feel comfortable saying that there aren't more than 10 of these in existence -- if that.

It ranks among my favorite pieces of Indians memorabilia, and I think it's fair to say it's rare.

If I listed it on eBay or could find a major auction auction to take it on consignment, I'd be surprised if it sold for more than $30.

rhettyeakley
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow, someone REALLY offered the guy $5000? And he turned it down!?!

The Hartland market is pretty thin, you don't sell to the 1 or 2 guys that give a crap then good luck! I know there are people that care about these statues to a degree but $5000 seems a bit ridiculous and personally I'm not buying that there was ever an actual offer for that amount. It sounds like the seller is throwing out a tired sales pitch.

-Rhett

bigtrain
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Steve Balboni lives just a few miles from me. I have run into him at the grocery store and saw him in the parking lot next to my office a few days ago. If anyone wants me to ask him about game-used jock straps let me know.

Scott Garner
04-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Tom,
Perfect! Hmmm...Ask Steve if he has 10 of them lying around. I may want to corner the Balboni jock strap collectible market...:D