PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Gift Hand Slap

quinnsryche
04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Anybody get a email today from Paypal about using the "gift" option for purchases? I got a reprimand for accepting "gift" payments for cards some of you have purchased. They said May 6th would be the last date this would be acceptable. If I continued to use this option I would have my privileges revoked. Just curious if anyone else got their hand slapped.

rhettyeakley
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I have never used paypal "gift" for anything I ever purchased on ebay--I didn't know you even could do this, but have on occasion used it for BST stuff and I'm not sure how they would be able to prove it wasn't a "gift" if it couldn't be tied to an ebay auction. I didn't get my hand (or anything else) slapped by them...yet!
-Rhett

forazzurri2axz
04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
got one the other day--included the explanation that it's for friends and family!!! Do you think that they would buy the argument that everyone who buys from me is my friend???

cheers

WarHoundR69
04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I've used the PP Gift option in the past for purchases & sales in the 4 figure range - but not recently. Looks like PP is going to close this loophole or at least place more restrictions on it.

JP
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I wonder if it will be the senders or receivers who are cracked down on...so far it sounds like just receivers?

Jason Carota
04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Seems like the only hand that should be slapped is the PayPal exec's who didn't think this would happen.

Abravefan11
04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Seems like the only hand that should be slapped is the PayPal exec's who didn't think this would happen.

Shame on them for having faith in people to do the right thing.

FUBAR
04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
im not sure if you guys can do this is the USA, or even if i can do it cross border, but i just use online banking and email payment for things... only costs me $1.50 no matter what i send.

I just enter a valid email address and then the money gets sent to your email, you must have online banking to receive it and then you deposit it into your own account. works fast and easy.

FrankWakefield
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I thought what PP was doing was providing a channel for someone to send money to a kid at school, ie a family member; or to a friend. They did not intend it as a way for a buyer and seller to dodge the fees. I use Paypal. I don't think I've ever sent anything as a gift dodging the fees, because I've not sent a gift of money to a friend or family member through Paypal. What's the right thing to do here, click gift knowing it isn't a gift to a friend or family member so that Paypal is cheated out of their fee? I doubt it.

Leon
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I always require e-checks which are only $5......for any amount. I also send them that way. Paypal then gets something and I am not skirting the system.

Chicago206
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I always require e-checks which are only $5......for any amount. I also send them that way. Paypal then gets something and I am not skirting the system.

I always wondered why Paypal charges just a $5 flat rate on an e-check transaction (which takes longer), yet charges a 2.9% on direct balance transfers. Did I answer my own question there? Is it the "float" on the e-check that they are benefiting from?