PDA

View Full Version : Boston Show April 30 - May 2

spacktrack
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make a post to clear up some confusion about the Shriner's Card Show in Wilmington, MA scheduled for April 30-May 2. Recently we've had some inquiries about whether or not the show is still on since one of the leaders of the GBSCC passed away. The show is in fact still happening on the same date and at the same place.

Complete information can be found at this site (http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/rich-altman-boston-show.php).

Hopefully many of you that visit the Shriner's show will still be able to attend. SGC will be in attendance accepting submissions as we have in the past.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
SGC

carrigansghost
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Damn! I booked a flight home this weekend because there was no info on their site last month. Had I know, I would have delayed for a week. Have a great time and will be disappointed in not meeting those that attend.

Rawn

jbsports33
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
We will be setup at the show, hope to see some of the members there and thank you Brain for making a post about the show.

Thanks Jimmy

J&B Sports Auctions

soxinseven
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I will be there and am looking forward to the Net 54 member meet up on Saturday. That's too bad Rawn, we've missed you at the last few shows, maybe next time.

collectbaseball
04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Is there typically a good selection of pre-war cards there? (And are they priced like eBay buy-it-nows?). I'm not at all far and have never been, and I think I have a couple things I've been wanting to get to SGC... might be worth it just for that.

soxinseven
04-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Dan,
It is worth making the trip. Some dealers have high prices but there are plenty of dealers there to work with. You will see a big selection of pre-war at this show. I have made many hobby contacts and friends at this show, hope to see you there!
Steve

steve B
04-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Just to make things a bit clearer. This show has no connection to GBSCC other than being in the same place as the November show and on the weekend the club had intended to do a spring show. I don't have any details beyond that about the show, since that's all we were told at the meeting a couple months ago.

The club is doing just fine, and the November show will be on as usual.

Steve B

Potomac Yank
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Dan,
It is worth making the trip. Some dealers have high prices but there are plenty of dealers there to work with. You will see a big selection of pre-war at this show. I have made many hobby contacts and friends at this show, hope to see you there!
Steve

How else is someone new to cards, going to learn about cards?

You have to check the show out yourself.

You get to see the cards ... feel the cards, and if you're really into cards ... smell the cards.

You get to meet, and talk to the dealers.

You meet other cardoholics, and possibly trade, or exchange ideas.

You don't get any of the above from eBay, or an auction house.

Both collectors and dealers ... bring back the Real Deal ... encourage the local shows.

jbsports33
04-22-2010, 06:50 AM
We will have a good selection of prewar and the show should be better than the last spring show. Many of the same autograph quests that attended in November are coming and there should be a good selection of dealers.

Jimmy

greenmonster66
04-22-2010, 08:11 AM
WOW Rich Altman is now running this show! I use to go to Rich's store in Florida for autograph signings he held right in store. He is a class act and a very nice guy!

dani0100
04-22-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm confused. I had seen mention of the "Rich Altman's Boston Show" previously and then I checked out the website at http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/rich-altman-boston-show.php. However, that website describes only an in-person autograph event. There is no mention whatsoever about a card show -- no mention of how many tables, vendor info, admission info, etc.

I then looked at Beckett's show calendar to see if there was any mention of a card show during the relevant time frame, and there was nothing.

Is there really a card and memorabilia show going on here, or is this just an autograph event? If the former, then is there actually any information on the card show itself anywhere? I'm pretty sure that this is just an autograph event.

aelefson
04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi-
That weekend is confusing because there are two majorish shows running that weekend in MA. There will be one in Quincy that is being run by the main GBSCC club that normally runs the Wilmington show. Then, there is this show in Wilmington. I believe there is some sort of feud between the club members and dealers who normally buy tables at the November show, which is why there are two shows this weekend (and creating all of the confusion). From what I understand, a good number of the quality vintage dealers will be in Wilmington, while a smaller number of vintage dealers are siding with the club members who are hosting the show in Quincy. I plan on attending both (Quincy early and Wilmington by lunch time so I can meet fellow Net54ers). If you can only go to one, I would recommend the Wilmington show but I know at least one dealer who will have plenty of raw prewar stuff at Quincy. There will be many more of this type of dealer at Wilmington (including Jimmy who posted above).
In terms of the meetup, how about 1:00 at the snackbar at the Wilmington show? I will also be at the Quincy show that morning if anyone wants to meet there. I look forward to meeting up with old friends and making new ones! Rawn, we will definitely be on the lookout for Carrigan items!
Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

jbsports33
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Well I think Alan did get most of the facts right, the November show will still be organized by the GBSCC and this show in Quincy is very small only about 10 tables with a good number of autograph quests. That show would be considered more of an autograph event and I do not believe it was setup by the GBSCC, yes some of the dealers form Nov will be there.

Jimmy

pgellis
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Is there a website or any info about the show in Quincy?

jbsports33
04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.sureshotpromotions.com/events.aspx

pgellis
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Jimmy.

scooter729
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm in for Saturday at 1 PM to meet up for a few if folks are interested, like Alan said...

Potomac Yank
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
You guys are doing a good job with what could've been an impossible totally knotted fishing line. :)

In my experience of going to all kinds of shows, all over the country ... whether it's a big, or small show ... it's what the collector, and dealer makes of it.

Believe it, or not, I've lucked out with some of the off the wall stuff, at a couple of small shows.

Anyway you cut it ... If you don't go .... you'll never know. :)

Joe Pelaez

jrhatchjr
04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Not to hijack this thread but just to let folks know: it was Greater Boston Sports Collectors Club President Bill Carvalho who passed away in February. Mr. Carvalho was a very nice gentleman and long time hobby figure. His dedication to the GBSCC, it's monthly meetings and the annual convention ("Shriner's show") made it possible for thousands of folks to enjoy the hobby as it used to be. Many years ago, Mr. Carvalho also ran a first rate hobby shop called Bill's Place in Reading, MA. Long time hobbyists in the Merrimack Valley / North Shore may remember it. I certainly do...and I will always remember Mr. Carvalho. If there's a hobby Hall of Fame, there's no doubt he belongs.

GoldenAge50s
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that info. I had a hunch it might have been Bill who passed. I knew him way back in the early '80's from attending card shows in the Providence-Boston area and setting up myself in the late '80s at various NE shows.

He was always very pleasant & helpful when I was a card show rookie and always had time to talk & assist whenever I would prevail.

He will be missed for sure.

jbsports33
04-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I did not want to say too much about that for privacy reasons, but yes Bill contributed a lot to the hobby and will be missed

Jimmy

wolterse
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I look forward to seeing the crew at 1PM/snack bar

aelefson
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I will definitely be there!
Alan

bigfish
04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
This show will be a good one. Will be there Fri-Sun. Looking forward to buying, selling, and trading. Check out Dave Schrader's booth. There will be lots of nice stuff there.

scooter729
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Erich and Alan,

Looks like I'm out for Saturday - a Bruins ticket just came my way! So I'll be heading to the show on Sunday instead. Have fun on Saturday!

Scott

collectbaseball
04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
90% sure I'll be there tomorrow. I'll look out for you folks at 1.... can't wait! I wish I knew if any of my REA bids will hold up before spending any money, though :(

wolterse
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll be getting to the show around 10AM on Sat. Unfortunately, I now have to leave early so won't be able to make it to the lunch gathering at 1PM.

Steve/Alan - Hope I see you both in the morning before I gotta run!!

Jimmy, look forward to stopping by your table to say hi.

Erich

jbsports33
05-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Just wanted to thank all the members for coming by my table and Brain from SGC, still had a decent show even with all the mix-up with two shows running on the same weekend and low attendance

Thanks Jimmy