PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Van Patrick Indians postcards

Rob D.
04-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I've collected this set for more than 10 years, and before today it had been at least three years since I added a new one to my collection. For those unfamiliar with the issue, these postcards were the first of the post World War II team issues. They're referred to as "Van Patricks" because the cards apparently were sent to fans who mailed a request to Indians broadcaster Van Patrick (see scans below).

Anyway, because I was able to pick up a small group of these today, I dug out the group I previously had and took a closer look. Here's what dawned on me: Of the 35 or so that I have, only three are postally used. Because it's always been accepted that these were only mailed to fans -- as opposed to being available for sale at the ballpark -- I would think the ratio of unused to used would be less than 12-1. Granted, my collection is a small sample size, but over the years I'd say at least 90 percent of these that I've seen (which haven't been many) have been postally unused. I glanced through the roughly 200 other Indians PCs I have from 1948-56, and the ratio of postally unused to used is closer to 5-2.

I suppose the Van Patricks could have been mailed to fans in envelopes, and maybe that's the simple answer. But the fact that there are ones that are postally used makes me wonder. (Because of the design of the backs of the cards, you'd assume that a fan wouldn't mail the card after receiving it, because there's no place to write a message.)

I don't know whether anyone on the board collects these, but I'd be interested in hearing any opinions.

Thanks, Rob

sflayank
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
If you would like to sell your doubles id be very interested
I have to believe the postally unused ones were simply leftovers that never got sent out...from his estate or found in his office after he retired..or just given to friends or fans at the ballpark...something like that
sflayank@aol.com

paul
04-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I'd also be interested in any doubles, especially Lopez and Lemon.

Paul

tedzan
04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I collect the 1947-1950's Stadium issued picture packs (6" x 8 1/2" pix) of Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Red Sox, Yankees.
The 1947 Indians pictures include Larry Doby, but not Satchell Paige. The 1948 issue has both these players.
Does the 1947 Van Patricks issue portray either Doby or Paige ?
Also, is Joe Gordon in it ?

Thanks,

TED Z

Rob D.
04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
I collect the 1947-1950's Stadium issued picture packs (6" x 8 1/2" pix) of Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Red Sox, Yankees.
The 1947 Indians pictures include Larry Doby, but not Satchell Paige. The 1948 issue has both these players.
Does the 1947 Van Patricks issue portray either Doby or Paige ?
Also, is Joe Gordon in it ?

Thanks,

TED Z

Ted,

The checklist I have, which was provided by Dan Even years ago, does not include Paige or Doby but does include Joe Gordon.

tedzan
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info. These postcards must have been issued during the Spring/Summer of '47.....nice stuff.

Do you have an extra of Joe Gordon ?

TED Z

Rob D.
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I sent you an e-mail, Ted.

Rob D.
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. These postcards must have been issued during the Spring/Summer of '47.....nice stuff.

TED Z

To be more specific, I think the photos were taken in spring training of 1947 (judging by the backgrounds on many of the shots). However, based on the fact that listeners to Indians broadcasts had to write in to request a postcard -- and the fact I have a couple postmarked July 1947 -- I think they were issued throughout the season.

tedzan
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I just checked my mail, I didn't receive your email.

TED Z