PDA

View Full Version : Informal T206 Poll

quinnsryche
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
With all the hulla-balloo of late on this board about T206s, I thought this might be an interesting question for T206 collectors only.
Which do you collect:
Fronts or backs?
Don't reply both, it's one or the other.
I know collectors like the combination of both, but I'm more interested in do you collect T206s for the beauty of the artwork and representation of the players on the front or the diversity and scarcity of the advertising on the reverse.
Also, why?
I myself collect the fronts for the players and artwork on the front and couldn't care less about the back. I wanted to get into the whole "back thing" and just realised I was missing the joys of the fronts. I sometimes wish the backs were blank so all the infighting would stop (it really wouldn't though, would it?)
So, which one is it????

cfc1909
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
why can't it be both-just because you said....:confused:

I have built my set (still need about 10 fronts) making sure I get at least 10 examples of each back ad. I have several examples of the fronts that I like the most and the same goes for the backs.

Also I have moved to other vintage sets because there are too many collectors that focus on 206s. I will always pick up 206s but there is so much more out there.

Potomac Yank
04-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I have two sets.

One is missing one card from the known check list, and the other is missing eight cards from that list.
Plus a back set.

Now what was your question again?

Try the search engine ... you might get some answers to your questions.

B O'Brien
04-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I am a mix. I like HOFers, but don't buy them with common backs.
I tried the common back thing for a while (set building), but I couldn't do it. The set is just to big, and every time something tough would come up I would sell the commons to buy it.
I think I could do higher grades without caring about the back (high grade stuff is really pretty), but can't afford it.
I guess I am a back collector, but I like the guys on front to be famous!

Bob

asoriano
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Both.

teetwoohsix
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it will be hard for people to answer with one or the other.Both has to be an option too.
I primarily am a front collector,but try to add a wide variety of backs into the mix also,so I can end up with a very enjoyable mixture of front/back combo's.
When I look for a new card,my first focus is always who is on the front.When I decide on a player,I check around to see what front/back combos are available(within my price range).If there are,say,a Nap Lajoie w/bat Piedmont and another Nap Lajoie w/bat Polar Bear,within a few $$ of each other,I'd be more inclined to go for the Polar Bear.
I love the ultra rare backs-just can't afford them right now ;)

Regards,Clayton

quinnsryche
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I didn't offer both as an option because I knew 99% of answers would be "both". I kind of wanted people to have to make a choice. Just curious, didn't want to make anybody uncomfortable.

tennisguy
04-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Fronts for me!

JP
04-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Definitely both for me, as well. The backs tell us about the history of cards, the fronts are about the history of the sport. Best set ever...

E93
04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Both for me as well.
JimB

ChiefBenderForever
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Chief Bender with different backs so I guess both lol !!

Steve D
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I collect based on the fronts, without regard for the backs. I do however, have a goal of obtaining at least one of each different back (brand/series...I don't worry about factory numbers).

Steve

steve B
04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I collect mostly by the fronts, but with an eye for the mid range backs. I can't afford the realy tough ones.

I really like the fronts of T206, they not only represent the history of the game, but indirectly the history of the country as well. If you want to have some fun, line up a batch of cards from an old Judge to something from this year. Just pick one card from each decade. Then think about how the cards design represents that decade and our attitudes towards things at that time.

I've done this for a few of my friends that have asked about why I collect, and it's always been a real eye opener. Not enough to get them started, but enough that they understand

Steve B

majordanby
04-18-2010, 04:23 PM
at the moment, fronts. but in the future, i plan on looking more into backs. My goal right now is to get the set done, then focus on sub collections, like different backs.

FUBAR
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
When i start my collection, it will be backs (commons) first. Hof'er fronts second. I cant have HOF'er with rare backs cause then which side do you display?

t206wagner
04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I collect them by the fronts. I don't really care what the back is. If I get something with a harder to find back, that is just a bonus.

frankb22
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Like many I have two objectives. The 524 fronts and then another
group with one of each of the tobacco brands on the reverse and a
HOFer on the front. Paying the premiums for some of the tougher backs
to have a common player on front is not something I'm interested in.
I like both groups a great deal but if forced to pick I'd go with the fronts.

T206Collector
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I have been collecting T206s for almost 15 years and I think back collecting is really stupid. I mean, I could see trying to get a little variety -- but laying down anything over a few dollars for a "rare" back still gets me. I mean, people really opt to pay $2,000 for a common player with a "rare" back, when they could just as easily get a really nice green Cobb. Makes no sense to me -- never has, never will.

I think people who collect backs are tobacciana collectors. I collect baseball cards.

Hot Springs Bathers
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
The first time around I just collected the fronts. This time if I pick up a duplicate front with a different back I keep it. Same for T205. Down the road I would consider paying for a missing back but not right now.

I do think backs are a viable collectible. My biggest pet peeve ever in the hobby goes back over 30 years now. Why in the world is a rookie card any more valuable than a second year card or a tenth year card? Never has made any sense to me, it always appeared to be a reason for everyone to go out and buy the new price guide each month.

Danny Smith
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Fronts primarily. Cruising along with the set but will pick up a cool back here or there.

teetwoohsix
04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
The funny thing to me is,the kids (and adults) who loved and collected these cards back in the 1909-1911 era probably could've cared less what was on the back of the card.........it was all about who was on the front of the card!!

Clayton

cfc1909
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
in the 80s and 90s very little attention was paid to the backs. Just in the last 10 to 15 years the backs have become an issue.

Chicago206
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Since I had heard of just 3 players from the 206 set prior to collecting them, its all about the backs for me. Although I initially started out as a front collector because of the amazingly beautiful and vivid colors on the cards. Since im more into rarity, the back varieties satisfy that itch in me.

Fred
04-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I collect T206s by the fronts. If it came to a Cobb I'd take it with any back if the price was right. Backs are really intriguing and add a cool twist to T206collecting but I never caught that bug. If I had a choice between a Cobb with a Piedmont back or a Joe Blow with a Uzit back, I'd take the Cobb.

Potomac Yank
04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I have been collecting T206s for almost 15 years and I think back collecting is really stupid. I mean, I could see trying to get a little variety -- but laying down anything over a few dollars for a "rare" back still gets me. I mean, people really opt to pay $2,000 for a common player with a "rare" back, when they could just as easily get a really nice green Cobb. Makes no sense to me -- never has, never will.

I think people who collect backs are tobacciana collectors. I collect baseball cards.

The above statement makes that Chicago guy sound like a Rhodes Scholar.

teetwoohsix
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jim-truth is,I didn't even know these cards existed in the 80's & 90's :D,,,,,,,,,but I've read the posts where the veteran collectors wished those days were still around :)

Fred,I'm with you everything you said...........

Chicago206,my worry with you diving in to T206 with only these extreme rare backs is that you will never be able to appreciate the more common backed T206's.I mean,how will a Sovereign 350 ever compare to a Drum in your eyes?:D I by no means want to encourage you to collect any other way than you want to,but could you ever see yourself buying T206's with EPDG backs,or Tolstoi backs?Are you going to try to collect the T206 set-or just T206's with the rarest backs?Whatever you choose,I wish you the best in your goals-just trying to understand,that's all.

Sincerely,Clayton

T206Collector
04-18-2010, 08:05 PM
The above statement makes that Chicago guy sound like a Rhodes Scholar.

Go f-ck yourself. Sincerely.

Chicago206
04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I think what we are learning here in this thread is that probably the coolest thing about 206 is that there are so many different ways to collect! Some people cant fathom why I would spend over 2 grand on a common player with a rare back. I cant fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play, and that 99.9% of America hasnt even heard of! But I can respect everyone's individual reasons for collecting what they enjoy. In the end, isnt that what its all about anyway?

bigtrain
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I collect the players on the front because I am interested in the history of the sport and the men who played it. I collect baseball books for the same reason. To me rare backs and condition rarities, although interesting, are more about the history of the tobacco company or the history of the marketing of the cards, rather than the sport itself.

ethicsprof
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
both.

for quite awhile now.

all the best,

barry

ullmandds
04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I definitely collect for both...but I have been very interested n the backs for over 20 years. The fronts are easy...you can find almost any t206 front for sale at any given time. Definitely not so for the backs. A rare back merely enhances the overall appeal of a card...in my opinion. Anybody can find a red t206 cobb...but try finding a coupon type I or any of the tougher backs...makes collecting much more interesting! And to neglect the tobacco companies involved in the distribution of our beloved t cards would be to ignore a valuable link to their history and to a point in time in america.

Potomac Yank
04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Go f-ck yourself. Sincerely.

Spoken like an autograph collector with an LOA that you can take to the bank.

sox1903wschamp
04-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Fronts but I respect the back collectors and enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations of the back collectors and if I happen to get the same player with a different back, I keep them.

vintagetoppsguy
04-19-2010, 05:16 AM
I cant fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play, and that 99.9% of America hasnt even heard of!

You collect rare backs of all the different brands of tobacco. So, you're telling me that you had heard of all those before you started collecting?

T206Collector
04-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Spoken like an autograph collector with an LOA that you can take to the bank.

Oh snap! What a comeback!

You're an idiot.

quinnsryche
04-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Since I had heard of just 3 players from the 206 set prior to collecting them, .

That is impossible. My 10 year old son knows more players than that. I usually like to avoid jumping on the bashing bandwagon, but that statement is either a absolute lie or the single most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. You would have to have been born on the other side of the world to have only heard of 3 players from the t206 set. Wagner, Cobb, Mathewson, McGraw, Baker, Plank, Tinker, Evers, Chance, Waddell, Young, Marquard, Lajoie, Walsh, Beckley, Griffith, Wallace, Collins, Bender, Chesbro, Huggins, Brown, Jennings, Keeler and that's just Hall of Famers! So you decide to collect the most popular baseball set in existance with some of the most famous and expensive cards known to the hobby because of the BACKS!
C'mon now, really, you are going to stick to that story?

Chicago206
04-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Wagner, Cobb, Young. True story.

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 05:50 AM
That is impossible. My 10 year old son knows more players than that...

Ease up or he'll demand this thread be locked or deleted. He has long demonstrated delusions of adequacy.

Chicago206
04-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Ease up or he'll demand this thread be locked or deleted. He has long demonstrated delusions of adequacy.

Never quite able to move on. Always looking for the jab. Yeah, you're a helluva guy.

T206Collector
04-19-2010, 06:24 AM

Apparently he is. As if we already weren't confused as to why he's still here.

But this Chicago206 guy still makes Joe P look like Joe the Plumber.

Rob D.
04-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Fronts, but only if Lajoie is pictured.

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Yeah, you're a helluva guy.

I've already admited that, to you, I'm not. I don't like you or your style. Since we last talked (about calming down and enjoying the hobby a little), you've started one thread about where you should spend your $4,000, and one about a challenge to board members to sell you a certain back (up to 10 of them) for $500 each.

In this thread, you offered that you know nothing about the game of baseball, have heard of few, if any, of the stars and seem to be proud of that fact.

That all adds up to something very different than collecting. As I said before, it's just you fooling around with your money (and doing it poorly at that.)

It's as if you want to make this board confrontational, so you post things not related to the baseball aspect of the hobby, not even related to the card collecting aspect, but solely related to the financial angle. That's what I will never like.

A person's love of the hobby will never be related to what they earn or what they have. It is related to what they know or what they want to learn. You possess neither the knowledge nor the desire to gain knowledge. What you possess is $4,000 - $5,000. Big deal.

As I've said to you before, good luck to you in your pursuits, but if you continue to post here and be confrontational and controversial, then, yeah , I will continue to take the occasional jab.

(Please note - In this thread, T206 Collector and Potomac Joe are "at it", a little. I won't take sides or jab at either. Both are long time collectors with a different slant on the hobby, and that's OK.)

nebboy
04-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Fronts

frohme
04-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Both - but Pirates, Pirates, and all Pirates.

T206Collector
04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Please note - In this thread, T206 Collector and Potomac Joe are "at it", a little. I won't take sides or jab at either. Both are long time collectors with a different slant on the hobby, and that's OK.

You should definitely take my side. :)

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 07:24 AM
You should definitely take my side. :)

LOL! Joe said the same thing!

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Fronts, but only if Lajoie is pictured.

That sounds like a stupid way to collect. How much did you pay and what are they worth today?

iggyman
04-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Here is how it went for me...

Phase 1: Front only and could've care less if it had a back!

Phase 2: As the T206 collection grew, backs were now being noticed. But I wouldn't pay a premium for one.

Phase 3: Started nearing the end of the quest and SHA BAM!!! Yeah baby, T206 "backs" rock! I would easily pay a premium for a back. Actually, I was prepared to give-up electricity for a few months if it meant purchasing a rare back.

Phase 4 (current mode): T206 backs are okay, if that is your thing. But, I'm interested in the aesthetic beauty of the front and the artiste splendor behind the artwork.

Lovely Day...

brianp-beme
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Fronts

Brian

AndyG09
04-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Fronts. An occasional moderately tough back here and there is always nice though.

Best,

Andy

vintagetoppsguy
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I cant fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play...

You collect cards with advertising backs of cigarrettes that you have never smoked. So what? Just because we've never seen a player like Christy Mathewson pitch a game, doesn't mean that we can't read about him and collect his cards.

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I've posted a few times in this thread and been remiss in answering the original question.

Fronts. Period.

The backs are nice. They are historical. And I do understand why someone would want an example of every back, but they are secondary to the fronts.

The cards were always printed for the player on the front, with the understanding that the back was an ancillary, advertising piece. When these were issued, you could control what back you got based on what brand you purchased/used. So there was no collecting challenge, back then, to securing a back set. There was always a challenge to getting all the players.

quinnsryche
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
The backs are nice. They are historical. And I do understand why someone would want an example of every back, but they are secondary to the fronts.

The cards were always printed for the player on the front, with the understanding that the back was an ancillary, advertising piece. When these were issued, you could control what back you got based on what brand you purchased/used. So there was no collecting challenge, back then, to securing a back set. There was always a challenge to getting all the players.
Everyone has their own opinion, but this one is well stated and my feelings exactly. Thanks everyone for your replies. These are exactly the kind of honest, spirited responses I was hoping to hear.
Thank you!

Chicago206
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
You collect cards with advertising backs of cigarrettes that you have never smoked. So what? Just because we've never seen a player like Christy Mathewson pitch a game, doesn't mean that we can't read about him and collect his cards.

Which is exactly why I stated that I respect everyone's reasons! But you decided to take just a snipet of the entire statement for whatever reason. Here is the statement in its entirety:

"I think what we are learning here in this thread is that probably the coolest thing about 206 is that there are so many different ways to collect! Some people cant fathom why I would spend over 2 grand on a common player with a rare back. I cant fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play, and that 99.9% of America hasnt even heard of! But I can respect everyone's individual reasons for collecting what they enjoy. In the end, isnt that what its all about anyway?"

vintagetoppsguy
04-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Phil,

Perhaps I should have worded it in the form of a question. So here goes. Why is it hard for you to fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play, when you yourself collect advertisements of different brands of cigarettes that you've never heard of (or smoked)?

DJ

Chicago206
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Phil,

Perhaps I should have worded it in the form of a question. So here goes. Why is it hard for you to fathom why anyone collects pictures of players that nobody here has ever seen play, when you yourself collect advertisements of different brands of cigarettes that you've never heard of (or smoked)?

DJ

Do you always fully understand why people do the things they do, or like the things they like? Do other people always understand the things you do, or the things you like? I cannot understand why anyone still collects beanie babies. I cannot understand why anyone collects modern, mass produced cards. I cannot understand why people collect pictures of men who they have never seen play before. And im sure that some people cannot understand why someone would want to collect advertisements of defunt cigarette companies. We arent here to defend our likes/dislikes. We have a common thread in that we all enjoy collecting the things that make us smile.

T206Collector
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I cannot understand why people collect pictures of men who they have never seen play before.

At this point, it is getting comical. If you cannot understand this, then you really are in the wrong forum. The only reason the backs are desirable is because they contain "pictures of men who they have never seen play before" on the fronts. If you don't care about the front, then you might as well be collecting generals, or actresses, or fish tobacco cards. They're a lot cheaper and have a lot of "rare" backs, too.

Section103
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
No matter the subject at hand, Im always more interested in the fronts than the backs.

calvindog
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
At this point, it is getting comical. If you cannot understand this, then you really are in the wrong forum. The only reason the backs are desirable is because they contain "pictures of men who they have never seen play before" on the fronts. If you don't care about the front, then you might as well be collecting generals, or actresses, or fish tobacco cards. They're a lot cheaper and have a lot of "rare" backs, too.

Why was Joe Jackson's nickname "Shoeless?" Was it because he played baseball without shoes?

Rob D.
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I just had a thought that Chicago206 might be the latest version of the T206 Joe Jackson proof/spoof of a few years ago.

Leon, Wonka, Barry, et al, come clean. This has been a late April Fool's joke at the expense of the board, hasn't it? Chicago206 is no more real than that Jackson proof, is he?

Well played, guys. Well played.

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Why was Joe Jackson's nickname "Shoeless?" Was it because he played baseball without shoes?

You're the second "lawyer" I've heard ask that question! ( I think the other guy was a real lawyer, but I was very unsure!)

I thought you guys were trained to never ask questions you didn't already know the answer to.

Kawika
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
It's the Axis of Evil!
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/PepBoys.jpg

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
It's the Axis of Evil!

Sorry if we irritate the shit out of you.

barrysloate
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I've yet to comment on any of Chicago206's threads, but I am amazed that every day on this board he has become the center of attention, and is always involved in some kind of controversy. To come onto a chatboard populated by avid vintage card collectors and make the statement that there is no reason why people should collect cards of dead people has probably insulted more than a few board members. And it seems that more than half the threads these days are about T206 backs, asking the same questions again and again.

I don't get it.

Rob D.
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry if we irritate the shit out of you.

I previously thought only folks from Butt Wipe, Ohio (or Buttwipe as it often is erroneously referred to), irritated the crap out of David.

Jim VB
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I've yet to comment on any of Chicago206's threads, but I am amazed that every day on this board he has become the center of attention, and is always involved in some kind of controversy. To come onto a chatboard populated by avid vintage card collectors and make the statement that there is no reason why people should collect cards of dead people has probably insulted more than a few board members. And it seems that more than half the threads these days are about T206 backs, asking the same questions again and again.

I don't get it.

The funny thing is, none of us, except Barry, who came up from the minors with Cy Young, has ever seen any of these guys play.

(IT'S A JOKE! Barry is, maybe, 3 years older than I am!)

barrysloate
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Three years indeed (1952).

tonyo
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I collect the fronts, currently low grade hall of famer action poses.

I can see myself being interested in collecting backs as it is part of the allure of the set for me. But that will be in about the 23rd mile of the marathon I'm sure. I'm pretty sure that I'll spend big bucks on a Cobb, Johnson or Young, before I spend big bucks on a rare back. I'll probably even move to the HOF portraits before even thinking about collecting different backs. I liked the idea of the person who posted that their T206 set contained at least 10 of each back. That sounds up my alley. Sometime in my lifetime I hope.