PDA

View Full Version : T206 Backs Discussion, Part 215,256,559

usernamealreadytaken
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Can someone detail, for the hardest 10 or 15 backs, why each is so rare?
(Ex. Late release in the T206 print run, less popular product, etc.)

jp1216
04-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Scot Reader's PDF file is a must. Seems to explain everything.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/InsideT206-Centennial-edition.pdf

tedzan
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
If I understand your post correctly, I think I can provide a reasonable explanation for the scarcity of the above 6 backs.

BROAD LEAF and DRUM are Factory #25 (Richmond, VA) cards that were printed at the end of 1910. My research shows
that Red HINDU was also printed during this period. The significance of this is twofold. The American Tobacco Co. was
forced to divest by 1911; and, their Tobacco brands were being transferred from Factory #25 to several new Factories
at the start of 1911. Therefore, the BL and DRUM cards were either short-printed, or a large stock of these cards were
never issued. Many of the Red HINDU's, were printed simultaneously with the BL 460 cards....and therefore, were short
printed (or discarded).

Late in the T206 press runs, in the Spring of 1911, the LENOX and UZIT cards were printed. We have American Litho.
records that indicate this. Furthermore, these records indicate that the LENOX & UZIT T206's were being paired with
T80's (Military men) in the cigarette packs of these two brands. This signifies that at the end of the T206 runs, LENOX
and UZIT T206 cards were short-printed.

Finally, in the Spring of 1911 the AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 cards were printed (in the same press runs as the UZIT cards);
and therefore, the AB 460 cards were also short-printed.

Hope my story is clear enough to follow. If not, I'll try again.

Regards,
TED Z

usernamealreadytaken
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
So from what I have gathered, the basic explanation for any of the backs is when, and how long, they were printed in the T206 run? So, other factors, such as popularity of brand, how many cards in a pack, etc., are inconsequential?

tedzan
04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
PIEDMONT tobacco products were the "flagship" brand of the American Tobacco Company
and were widely distributed in the South and other areas. SWEET CAPORAL were 2nd and
were distributed primarily in the North. SOVEREIGN were 3rd and have been found in the
North and the South.
The other 12 (or 13) brands were not as widely distributed as the above "Big 3". One can
make the case that the scarcer T206 cards were associated with brands that were not as
popular as the Big 3.....or, very limited in their distribution. For example, the rare DRUM
cards appear to have been exclusively distributed in the St. Louis area.

TED Z