PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to remove residue from a slab?

Buythatcard
04-14-2010, 05:00 AM
I am sure that I am not the only one who comes across a graded card that has residue on it's slab from a price sticker. I have always removed the residue with a clean cloth but many times it just spreads the residue evenly along the rubbed area. I've tried window cleaner in the past but that didn't help.
Has anyone found an easy way to take off this residue withour burning a hole thru the slab?

bbcard1
04-14-2010, 05:06 AM
The best stuff period is Bestine, but it is pretty toxic if you have kids around and are careless...not horrible, but along the lines of a pretty bad insecticide...you can usually get it at art stores.

There is a product called Goo Gone that you can get at dollar stores which usually does ok. Staying determined is the key.

Robextend
04-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Goo-Gone has always worked pretty well for me.

quinnsryche
04-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Goo Gone works like a charm for me everytime. It will even cleanup light scratches sometimes.

timzcardz
04-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Goo-Gone has always worked pretty well for me.

A little vegetable oil will do the trick too, and you probably already have some in the house.

Buythatcard
04-14-2010, 06:29 AM
I knew that I would get good advice from fellow members. It sounds like Goo-Gone is worth the try. Now, I just have to find a place that sells it.

Jim VB
04-14-2010, 06:42 AM
I knew that I would get good advice from fellow members. It sounds like Goo-Gone is worth the try. Now, I just have to find a place that sells it.

You can find it almost anywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, WalMart, any craft or hobby store.

Just be careful what you buy. There are two products which look and sound similar, but are very different. Goo-Gone is a citrus oil based product and works great. Goof-Off is a petroleum based product that does the same type of thing, but it's bad on the plastic slabs and you have to use it outdoors or in your garage or you wipe out the entire household. Skip that one!

Leon
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Go into your garage and get some WD-40. Use it....It works extremely well. I have a can of it right next to me all of the time. It really makes the ole plastic look good and removes that sticker goo perfectly. Try it and then come back and let us know. I use it all of the time and it works great. The other stuff probably works too...but I already had WD-40. ;)

Chicago206
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
My wife's finger nail polish remover, and a q-tip (which will probably be within 12 inches of where you find the remover) works very well.:D

nebboy
04-14-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a bottle of
ACRYLIC ANTISTATIC CLEANER
that is made for this and other cleaning Acrylic purposes.

Warning- Never use any products containing ammonia (such as window cleaners), alcohol, or solvent cleaners to clean acrylic.

T206DK
04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
citric acid may work well, and probably won't damage the plastic

Ladder7
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Didn't know about goof-off/goo-gone being totaally different. Thanks Jim.

Not sure acetone is a good choice. I'd go with peanut butter (not chunky), for that old ballpark aroma!

Chicago206
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Didn't know about goof-off/goo-gone being totaally different. Thanks Jim.

Not sure acetone is a good choice. I'd go with peanut butter (not chunky), for that old ballpark aroma!

Time/distance/shielding. You know what im talking about! A small flame will cook your finger like a hotdog if its there long enough. But everyone here has done the "finger through the candle flame" trick. Go outside the house naked in 55 degree weather and you will die of hypothermia if your out long enough. But walk outside for 10 seconds in -20 F temps and nothing happens. Pour a cup of acetone onto a slab and come back in 2 hours and you are likely to have a big bummer. But swab it with a q-tip for 10 seconds and blow dry, and nothing happens.

tbob
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Goo-gone is the safest and best I've found but you have to deal with that lemony smell for a while :(

FUBAR
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I use both goo-gone and wd-40, both work well. Let it soak for a little then it should rub right off.

ValKehl
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
AVON Skin-So-Soft bath oil spray removes sticky residue. Another option to those mentioned earlier in this thread, and that I wasn't aware of.
Val

Zach Wheat
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Rubbing alcohol also works well. It is inexpensive and evaporates quickly with no residue or armoa. Can be found at any drug store....

jb217676
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't use any chemicals. I make a loop from a piece of Scotch tape (sticky side on the outside) then press it onto the glue residue left on the holder, then removing it quickly. After doing this a few times, the residue should be completely pulled off the holder.

Kawika
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Take these three items, some WD-40, a vice grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/WaltKowalski.jpg

Ladder7
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
One underrated flic David

Jason Carota
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Scrapper's Solution works wonders. My wife uses the stuff for her scrap-booking projects. Works almost instantaneously on slabs.

frohme
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Like a previous poster that suggested vegetable oil, here's another suggestion.

Peanut butter (I prefer creamy :D)...

our moms used it to get bubble gum out of our hair as kids, and it works like a champ for what you want.

Certainly non-toxic, easy to clean up, no unpleasant odors (unless you're a PB hater), and the best part is that is you don't have to worry about liquid running anywhere - it is totally controllable. A tiny (seriously!) dab of PB will take the residue right off, no issues - at least all those I've run into.

I now see that Steve (Ladder7) suggested the same thing.

Buythatcard
04-15-2010, 05:07 AM
The peanut butter idea sounds interesting but I am afraid that I might take a bite out of the slab. What would I do if I bit the Wagner T206?