PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many big auctions ending at once??

scooter729
04-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Forgive me if there's an obvious answer, but every year there are many major auctions ending in the same short time period.

Over the next couple of weeks, REA, Goodwin, Memory Lane, Heritage and I'm sure others I can't remember off the top of my head are all ending.

What is the logic behind this? Wouldn't these folks want to spread out their auctions so as not to end the same time as all of the others, and therefore you can get more attention focused on your specific auction? I would think prices might not go as high as they otherwise would, if the competition for the auction dollar was not so tough during this small window of time.

jbsports33
04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Scott,

It’s been like that for the past 3 or 4 years, mainly because the competition has grown and the hobby is very active in the spring. This has really put a dent in the shows recently, because we use to have some great shows in the spring. Shows in the fall now seem to be the more active ones for us that we setup at. I remember when both times of the year were very equal. I also think it may have something to do with tax season as well!

Jimmy

Jim VB
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Forgive me if there's an obvious answer, but every year there are many major auctions ending in the same short time period.

Over the next couple of weeks, REA, Goodwin, Memory Lane, Heritage and I'm sure others I can't remember off the top of my head are all ending.

What is the logic behind this? Wouldn't these folks want to spread out their auctions so as not to end the same time as all of the others, and therefore you can get more attention focused on your specific auction? I would think prices might not go as high as they otherwise would, if the competition for the auction dollar was not so tough during this small window of time.

Lichtman gets his tax refund right about now.

Jay Wolt
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
w/ the exception of REA, most auction houses run multiple auctions throughout the year.
And due to the glut of auction houses, they always seem to overlap.
Especially when Mastro had their 4 auctions annually.

FUBAR
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
i think it has to do with the hype of the start of the season along with the fact alot of guys have tax returns, meaning a little extra cash.

if i were doing auctions i would have one now and one in late september when the playoffs are on, Christmas buying is starting.

Simple Marketing.

T206DK
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I doubt there's any coincidence in this. Auctioneers know everyone ( or most people) will be getting a tax refund soon. My bro and I are waiting for the Goodwin auction to end eagerly !

bcbgcbrcb
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
IMHO, the biggest difference between now and the other months of the year is primarily due to REA, which is a once a year event as previously mentioned. If REA was January, we would be saying the same thing about that time of year, etc.

e107collector
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
IMHO, the biggest difference between now and the other months of the year is primarily due to REA, which is a once a year event as previously mentioned. If REA was January, we would be saying the same thing about that time of year, etc.

Follow the leader.

calvindog
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Lichtman gets his tax refund right about now.

I haven't gotten a tax refund probably since 1992. Anytime I overpay for a year (which has happened once or twice in 19 years) it just gets applied to the first quarter of the new year. Ergo, this is the worst time of the year for me to buy cards, specifically Thursday. That being said, I suspect I'll turn the couch cushions over and find a few nickels to buy me some cards. :)

Jim VB
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
You do know I was kidding.

I don't recall a refund since AMT became an issue.