PDA

View Full Version : T207 Red Cross Backs

canjond
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I was reading the description of 1 of the 5 known Red Cross backed T207s in the REA auction and I noted that Rob made reference to the cards being distributed in Louisiana despite the factory designation of NJ on the reverses. I was curious as to how it was determined that these cards were distributed in Louisiana.

I'll begin with a disclaimer - I have no proof to the contrary. However, I actually find it sort of odd that the cards would be distributed in Louisiana. First, of the known cards, I believe all depict Chicago subjects. Second, I believe that 4 of the 5 known cards all originated in a single find in the early 1980's in the Louisiana area. Is this the reason for the Louisiana distribution theories? Couldn't it be equally as conceivable these cards were issued elsewhere, and the find ended up coming from Louisiana after the cards were relocated to Louisiana by a previous owner?

Thoughts, opinion, more info? Leon - also a perfect opportunity to post your card... again! :)

http://baseballandtobacco.com/images/redcross.gif

tedzan
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I posed this same question on another thread a few months back regarding T215's......

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=121045&highlight=t215-1&page=6

And, the response was that Lew Lipset identified the Red Cross cards as a Louisiana issue. My understanding
is that this is based on a large find of these cards originating from the Bayou country.

I tend to agree with your thinking that perhaps some large collection from the northeast ended up in Louisiana
due to a move.

TED Z

canjond
04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Ted - now that you point out that thread, I remember it. One other thing I forgot to mention above is that P. Lorillard Co, produced of Red Cross tobacco, was based in Newark, NJ.

Leon
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Always happy to oblige with a relevent scan. (and even not so relevent sometimes). It seems like Lew based the T215 on a bayou find, which is certainly one basis for where they came from. Another might be that T213 & T214 and T216 show a factory in LA (Louisiana) on the backs. It makes sense that if we go in numerical order T215 would be there too. I am also not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt (yet) of where they were produced/distributed, especially since they say NJ on them.

http://luckeycards.com/pt207redcross.jpg

Bridwell
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi Jon,

Great looking pack! Any idea of it's age? Is there a factory number on it?

Ron R

Potomac Yank
04-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Hello Jon,

We know that the S. F. Hess & Co. N321 cards were from Rochester, New York, and sold on the west coast.

We know that the Contentnea T209 type 1's didn't come with a factory #, so they were hand stamped on.

Do we know where the Mono T217 packs come from ... no factory information to be found.

Thank you.

Joe

Potomac Yank
04-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Jon, I was kind of hoping that you, or any other pack collector would have any information on the Mono packing?

Would you know anyone that has a Mono pack, that might possibly have factory information?

Thank you.
Joe

canjond
04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Joe,

I do have a Mono pack pictured on my website. However, here it is for reference. As a disclaimer, however, the pack does not belong to me. It does belong to a board member who keeps a very low profile. I will reach out to him later tonight and see if he can provide any additional details.

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/images/mono.gif

canjond
04-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Joe - I forgot to mention that there is also one pictured in Lew's publications (albeit in black and white).

Potomac Yank
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Joe - I forgot to mention that there is also one pictured in Lew's publications (albeit in black and white).

I've checked Lew's black and white image, and like your colored image, it doesn't give us the information that we seek.

It's funny, Mark Macrae, and I were discussing the Mono question just a couple of nights ago ... It seems like we've hit a stone wall.
Any info, or thoughts from the back aficionados are greatly welcomed. :)

Thank you.

rman444
04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
That Red Cross pack is outstanding!