PDA

View Full Version : Ticket guys. 1913 stub. Good?

Ladder7
04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Pardon the poor picture...

Judging from the size behind glass and in a toploader, 1x2" approx.

Couldn't locate another example, nor am I versed in these. Legit? tia, Steve
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/oche16/Ephemera/1913soxtix.jpg

GrayGhost
04-07-2010, 06:55 AM
That was mine at one time. I think those are out of a season ticket book, or such as complimentary. I hope its good, or it will indirectly make me look bad..haha.

Ladder7
04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Complimentary season tickets :D... What would that cost today?

Rob D.
04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Steve,

I have a few similar examples from Cleveland from the same era. These types are on very thin stock and usually come from a season-ticket booklet of "coupons," each stamped with the game number. Though yours is a "complimentary" version, I suspect it's close to the same thing. I consider mine "tickets" but realize that probably in the truest sense it's pushing the envelope a bit, because they don't look like the "normal" tickets of the era. But they're certainly legit in that they provided access to the stadium.

Hope this helps.

Ladder7
04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Then it's a tickette!

Thanks for the ops guys. Unsure if I want it or be happy with it now. Though BoSox items are tough to find -affordably.

drc
04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I won some Federal League tickets about the same size in a Mastro Auction years back, so to the shrimply size isn't a problem.

Scott Garner
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Absolutely a real 1913 Boston Red Sox ticket, as stated earlier, out of a complimentary season ticket booklet. Yes, it is made out of paper instead of cardboard, but this is typical of season tickets from this era throught the 1970's for many baseball teams. One point of note is that these complimentary tickets actually offer more absolute information than their cardboard couterparts which typically do not have a date for many teams during this era. As they say, it is what it is.....

101SOX19
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Nice Pick-up!

It is from the same book as pictured below, which was owned by Mrs. Neal Ball. I purchased mine a few years ago off of ebay and the seller gave me copies of the booklet front and inside cover.

Neal Ball is famous for pulling off the 1st unassisted triple play of the 20th Century.

Ladder7
04-07-2010, 09:15 PM
That explains the "complimentary"

Great news. I better hang onto it -for a while.
Thanks for the replies, Steve

Always tastes better with a "W". Also, Carrigan's first day as Skip.

Copy of the sports page, presumably from the Globe, with a rundown of this game reads,

BOSTON, July 25 -A victory for Boston over Chicago, 7 to 5; signalized the first appearance of Manager Carrigan here as the leader of the World's Champions. The game was a slugging match, each team having to resort to relief pitchers and pinch hitters. Boston drove Cicotte from the bar in the fifth inning with a volley of singles, and Russell, the next Chicago pitcher, made a wild pitch in this same inning, giving the locals a lead which the visitors could not overcome. Two singles and a stolen base in the eighth inning off Benz, secured Boston another run. Catcher Schalk was put off the field, for disputing a decision of Umpire O'Loughlin, who made his first appearance here this season. Can almost hear the Rooters obnoxious jeers:)

(Oh, Prince Hal went 2 for 3)

Scott Garner
04-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Nice Pick-up!

It is from the same book as pictured below, which was owned by Mrs. Neal Ball. I purchased mine a few years ago off of ebay and the seller gave me copies of the booklet front and inside cover.

Neal Ball is famous for pulling off the 1st unassisted triple play of the 20th Century.

NICE 101SOX19!! This is some real useful info to know about the connection to Neal Ball and who owned the origional ticket book. Upon inspection, I purchased a ticket that originated from this book as well, but I had no clue about the lineage. My ticket is for the doubleheader played on 7/7/13 at Fenway. In the 1st game Chief Bender got the win against the Sox 7-4. In the 2nd game Smokey Joe Wood got the win with the Red Sox prevailing 8-3 over Philadelphia. Thanks!!

Ladder7
04-08-2010, 10:19 AM
The unassisted triple-play;

"... [Neal] Ball took a ball on the fly, twenty feet
rear and right off second base, thus putting
out the batter. He hastily touched
second base, thus putting out the runner
trying to come back from third. He
then dived into Jake Stahl, as he came
running from first."

Scott Garner
04-18-2010, 05:01 PM
NICE 101SOX19!! This is some real useful info to know about the connection to Neal Ball and who owned the origional ticket book. Upon inspection, I purchased a ticket that originated from this book as well, but I had no clue about the lineage. My ticket is for the doubleheader played on 7/7/13 at Fenway. In the 1st game Chief Bender got the win against the Sox 7-4. In the 2nd game Smokey Joe Wood got the win with the Red Sox prevailing 8-3 over Philadelphia. Thanks!!

Here is my ticket from 7/7/13 at Fenway out of the complimentary season ticket book of Mrs. Neal Ball. Steve (Ladder7) asked that I post a photo. Here you go Steve!

Ladder7
04-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Very nice. Anyone else? Thanks Scott.