PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Yankee ball

wrapperguy
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
A friend of mine goes to an estate auction in South Bend, IN this past weekend and calls me all excited because he found a Roger Maris autographed ball and wants to bid on it later in the day. I know what you are thinking as I was also. He is not a baseball guy and called me for my expertise. He says it is a team ball and saw Mantle and Ed Ford also on the ball. He said he can read the signatures just fine and they are not faded. Not really knowing what to say sight unseen, I tell him to pay no more than $200, figuring that is safe. He gets it for $110. He just ran it over for me to look at, and it is STAMPED! Turns out it is a 1963 Yankee stamped ball. He is correct that it is in nice shape. What value would you place on this item?
Thanks for the help!

canjond
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
a friend of mine goes to an estate auction in south bend, in this past weekend and calls me all excited because he found a roger maris autographed ball and wants to bid on it later in the day. I know what you are thinking as i was also. He is not a baseball guy and called me for my expertise. He says it is a team ball and saw mantle and ed ford also on the ball. He said he can read the signatures just fine and they are not faded. Not really knowing what to say sight unseen, i tell him to pay no more than $200, figuring that is safe. He gets it for $110. He just ran it over for me to look at, and it is stamped! Turns out it is a 1963 yankee stamped ball. He is correct that it is in nice shape. What value would you place on this item?
Thanks for the help!

+/- $50

GrayGhost
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
That value is about right.

I feel bad for your friend, but I honestly can't understand how you can't tell, if you look close, even if not a collector.

I had a friend once w a 1961 Yankee ball, a veteran collector. He was gonna sell them ball at GBSCC to Al Rosen, and showed it to me. He wanted like 1500.00. I looked at it, and it was an OBVIOUS stamp..Saved him the humiliation.

On the other side, I had a Jimmie Foxx Bread for life blotter thingy, and Jim Spence said it was so close to real, before he realized it was a facsimile, so maybe it is tough at times.

wrapperguy
04-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Appreciate the input. He is a 75 year old who got lucky around 12 years ago when he found a huge collection of caramel cards. Sold them in a Mastro auction and made a bundle, so he can take the $60 hit.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry--wrong thread.