PDA

View Full Version : 1920's Team Ball Find

azbob
04-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Help. I found this baseball in a box of old stuff going through my mother’s estate. A local AZ dealer suggested Net54 as a good place to start my info hunt (I'm new to all of this). It’s in pretty rough shape (see photos) but I can read “George H. Sisler, worlds hitting record” fairly clearly and there are multiple other signatures and many scuffed too badly to read. There also appears to be a date but I can’t make it out clearly. I’m assuming it’s a team ball from the early 20’s and I do know that my grandfather was a baseball enthusiast and pitched in the III League during that time.

I’m trying to figure out what team this is, what it might be worth, how to “authenticate” it, and how to keep it from getting any more “worn out”. Also, are there such things as conservators that might bring this thing back to a better condition? I’m not a collector or trader by any means and don’t really know if I have a rare find here or not. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

slidekellyslide
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
St Louis Browns early 1920s baseball...I see Urban Shocker's signature and Josh Billings. Edited to add that Billings last year was 1923 and the ball was probably signed between 1921 and 1923...as 1920 was the year that Sisler set a batting record with 257 hits.

slidekellyslide
04-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I'd just add that Urban Shocker died in 1928 and his signature is valuable...the ball is rough and I don't collect autographs so can't tell you who should authenticate it for you...I'm guessing most would say James Spence. Not sure what a conservator could do for you, but restoration is generally frowned up in regards to autographed baseballs.

collectbaseball
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
1922 I'd guess -- Sisler won the MVP award that year and set the record for longest hitting streak, which explains the "worlds hitting record" part of it. Really cool find!

slidekellyslide
04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I hadn't even thought about his hitting streak...that makes more sense than a commemoration of his 257 hits in 1920.

rhettyeakley
04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I can at least partially read the following names...

George Sisler
Urban Shocker
Josh Billings
Billy Bayne
Earl Smith
Hank Severeid
Jim Austin
Pat Collins
Walter Gerber

barrysloate
04-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Urban Shocker is a very tough signature and that ball should be pretty valuable despite its condition. And like others said, you can't have it restored. That would render it nearly worthless. And it won't get any worse if you don't handle it too much. Very nice find!

azbob
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks to all for the valuable input. Looks like I've got some homework to do on this one and it's probably worth spending some time at. Still have boxes of old photos to get through and I'll cross fingers that I might find some accompanying materials for this ball.