PDA

View Full Version : REA: 4 Planks & 5 Magies

T206Collector
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Can these two t206 "rarities" really be that "rare" if a single auction house can have 4 Planks and 5 Magies running in the same auction? Or is it more a function of (a) price point; and (b) if you're going to sell one you're holding out until REA?

Also, if you're consigning a Plank and a Magie, wouldn't you rather hold out for an auction where you're not competing with 3 or 4 other sellers? Or is REA and/or those cards immune from typical supply/demand market forces?

Mrc32
04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
If you own one of those cards you are clearly an advanced collector and know that REA is the Rolls Royce of auctions. Therefore if you own one, you would want to sell it in their annual auction.

It is possible the economic downturn has impacted the holders of those cards and they are forced to sell now no matter what.

I wonder what REA's policy is about telling other consignors that there are duplicate items in the auction.

teetwoohsix
04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a feeling you're right about holding out to auction them off with REA.They seem to have an excellent reputation,and have the buyers who pay top $$ for items participating in their auctions.

Bicem
04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
not rare.

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I wonder what REA's policy is about telling other consignors that there are duplicate items in the auction.

With my consignments (basketball, not baseball), he couldn't be specific, but gave me a pretty good idea of what he had, at that time, that I'd be competing against. But that's no guarantee, because he may have received consignments anytime after I sent my stuff in.

sgbernard
04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I'd be interested to see if anyone has an opinion on this, but I might guess that, say, three Planks would bring a better price on each card than just one as buyers bid up to their limit on one card and then move on to the next best condition example that they can afford. I often notice on ebay that if a lot of five rare cards comes at once, they can sell for more than a single example from the same set.

JP
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Rob told me exactly what other Planks were going to be in the auction when he made his pitch. He also gave me a preview of the writeup and asked me for my input on changes. I, of course, deferred to his wisdom. He truly is a standup guy in a hobby that has less and less each passing year.

Side note on Magies: as the pop report proves, they aren't THAT rare. Almost the same numbers graded as o'hara and demmitt.

barrysloate
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
JP- you bailed out on that Plank in like the blink of an eye. I thought you really loved it.

Rob D.
04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
March 4, 2010: "I have no intention of moving this card. ... Plank is sticking with me unless a once in a lifetime opportunity arises."

Apparently the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity presented itself within weeks. Congratulations!

(To be clear: First and foremost, you can do whatever you want with your cards. And I'm actually thrilled you're flipping it in REA, because I had April 1 in the pool.)

Wesley
04-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Good luck with your card in REA. With four Plank cards in REA and one in Heritage at the same time, I would be extremely nervous about the consignment. Hopefully you get a decent result.

JP
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Wesley, not really a concern. Lifson made me an offer I couldn't refuse with my consignments...

Rob, you don't have to be a jerk in every post you make directed towards me. I realize you may think it is fun, and makes you look so witty, but it isn't really something I'm a big fan of. As I said.... http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=795653#post795653 and this REA auction happens to present about 100 once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. My original goal, as I've stated several times in the past, was a VG 3 Plank, and I've got an opportunity to get one in both REA and Heritage. I never intended to win, or thought my bid would win, the AUTH Plank (also said by me many times in the past) and so I'm looking to upgrade.

Wesley
04-02-2010, 07:17 PM
What is an offer you could not refuse, if you at liberty to say? Hidden reserve? I don't think REA offers guarantees, do they?

In any event, best of luck on your consignments.

Rob D.
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
No worries, JP. I was 100 percent serious when I said it's totally up to you regarding what you do with your cards. And I was serious when I said I did have April 1 in a pool on when your Plank would become available.

Plus, on the bright side, you'll likely be receiving an e-mail of commiseration from Frank before the night's over.

JP
04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Wesley, sorry, no comment on details of the agreement. But I can say that the deal I have is good enough to get all of my future business.

And Rob, I was 100 percent serious that you didn't have to be a jerk in every post. Quoting someone's past statements and quoting a contradictory followup can only be meant to make me look foolish. Congratulations, I'm a fool. Can you just finish me off once and for all, or can I expect indefinite playground bully behavior from you?

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Quoting someone's past statements and quoting a contradictory followup can only be meant to make me look foolish. Congratulations, I'm a fool. Can you just finish me off once and for all, or can I expect indefinite playground bully behavior from you?

JP,

You have to admit, you've been all over the map on this Plank, (and maybe a few other things.) First you were keeping it. Then you were having it "unrestored." Then you were flipping it. Then you were keeping it again. And finally, you consigned it within a week or so of getting it.

Your life with this card is like the life span of a fruit fly, 3... 4 weeks, tops.

Many of us make impulse purchases and then debate what to do. Most of us don't have that stream of consciousness discussion ON THE BOARD! We just have it to ourselves.

That's all Rob's commenting on.

JP
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Jim,

Your recollection is flawed. Those OPTIONS were discussed openly as I was looking for opinions, and I asked the group for feedback on all of those options. Never were those "decisions" made of what to do with the card. Figured it was worth brainstorming on the board as collective knowledge is unparalleled.

I knew you'd come out of the woodwork on this one...you and Rob are the Randolph and Mortimer of this group. Always there to attack and lend your opinion as fact.

tbob
04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd be interested to see if anyone has an opinion on this, but I might guess that, say, three Planks would bring a better price on each card than just one as buyers bid up to their limit on one card and then move on to the next best condition example that they can afford. I often notice on ebay that if a lot of five rare cards comes at once, they can sell for more than a single example from the same set.

Seth- you are right on. That's what is happening with the 3 Demmitts on REA.

JP
04-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I see 4 Demmitts. I'm lead bidder on one and can't see them going too much higher from here.

calvindog
04-02-2010, 09:57 PM
This thread is hilarious, I can't believe I hadn't read it before now.

And JP, don't mind Rob, he's just commenting on the phenomena which has seemed to exist here for years in which every time some poster proudly posts his "once in a lifetime dream card which will never leave my collection" it ends up on the BST within hours.

If my memory serves me correctly it actually began with a Magie error PSA 1 with a huge amount of paper loss on the back. The buyer proudly displayed his dream card in its own special thread and after getting kudos for about 20 posts then put it on ebay with a BIN for 3x the purchase price -- without posting a scan of the badly damaged back.

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Jim,

Your recollection is flawed. Those OPTIONS were discussed openly as I was looking for opinions, and I asked the group for feedback on all of those options. Never were those "decisions" made of what to do with the card. Figured it was worth brainstorming on the board as collective knowledge is unparalleled.

I knew you'd come out of the woodwork on this one...you and Rob are the Randolph and Mortimer of this group. Always there to attack and lend your opinion as fact.

Really? Looking for opinions? You repeatedly STATED what you intended to do with the card, and then would change your mind 15 minutes later. Just laugh at it. We all are.

(And as far as Rob and I, when he's an asshat, I tell him. I don't have to tell him tonight.)

From the same thread, a month ago:

03/02/10: Post #1 - That being said, my question is about alterations and restoration. I feel like I got a hell of a deal buying this card at $18K. Does anyone think it is possible to hire out a restorer for a few grand to return this card to its previous "Very Good" condition? A PSA 3 Plank is worth around $75K, so any restoration that could guarantee a straight grade of any sort from PSA seems like it would be worthwhile. I was going to inquire to Joe Orlando if he could recommend somebody that could guarantee a complete restoration... (RESTORING IT!)

03/03/10: Post #8 - If I can't restore it back to anything than what it already is "Authentic" then I think I'll keep it in it's beautiful PSA 8 appearance. May be the best looking Plank there is....all siliconed up! (KEEPING IT)

03/03/10: Post #12 - I have complete faith in Legendary until I am shown otherwise, and maybe this card can be flipped on the near future for a nice profit, but I'll probably talk myself out of that! (FLIPPING IT... MAYBE!)

03/03/10: Post #17 - I appreciate the feedback, everyone. I will be leaving my "new and improved" Plank in its current condition. It was also remain in my possession unless I am offered something irresistible -- a mid to high grade Demmitt or a high grade Cobb. If you've got either, hit me up! (TRADING IT!)

03/03/10: Post #20 - But the point is moot - the card seems to be irreversibly altered, and so I will just enjoy its enhanced facade and take it for what it's worth. (KEEPING IT!)

03/03/10: Post #25 - Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman
I do have a very nice mint Cobb that I'd trade for it--of course, it is a 1976 Topps All Time All Star. Any interest?
Deal.

EDIT: No deal! (TRADING IT TO ADAM! NO. NOT REALLY!)

03/03/10: Post #31 - Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954
In our May 2009 sale, a T206 Plank SGC Authentic sold for $27,500 before juice.
Deal! Who is "our" referring to? Pardon my ignorance. (CONSIGNING IT TO H&S!)

03/03/10: Post #46 - Thank you, much appreciated! My ultimate goal is to trade it for other high-end T-206s even before I get it in hand. (TRADING IT!)

03/04/10: Post #50 - Apparently the joke I made was misconstrued, or completely missed. I have no intention of moving this card. (KEEPING IT!)

03/07/10: Post #65 - I've decided to leave it alone. If the right offer comes along, so be it, but until then, I'm holding. (DEFINITELY KEEPING IT! MAYBE! UNLESS I TRADE IT!))

JP
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
You just proved my point, thank you. I ask about restoration possibilities and you mark that is a decision made? You obviously don't pay attention very well. Then you have joke posts and posts by others as decisions made by me??? You do shoddy detective work. You telling Rob he's an asshat is some serious pot calling kettle action. I just have to come to grips that you and he are perfect examples of everything this is wrong with this hobby today. Your "asshat"ness turns off a lot more people than you may think. Of course, you're oblivious to it all...

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
you just proved my point, thank you. I ask about restoration possibilities and you mark that is a decision made? You obviously don't pay attention very well. Then you have joke posts and posts by others as decisions made by me??? You do shoddy detective work. You telling rob he's an asshat is some serious pot calling kettle action. I just have to come to grips that you and he are perfect examples of everything this is wrong with this hobby today. Your "asshat"ness turns off a lot more people than you may think. Of course, you're oblivious to it all...

lol!

Bicem
04-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Wesley, sorry, no comment on details of the agreement. But I can say that the deal I have is good enough to get all of my future business.

then why bring it up at all?

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Why are YOU siding with Rob D. ?????

Are you Randolph or Mortimer?

calvindog
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I just have to come to grips that you and he are perfect examples of everything this is wrong with this hobby today.

JP, there is an auction house under criminal investigation for ripping off hobbyists for millions of dollars, there are card doctors trimming thousands of cards a year, there is a psychotic, apparently neo-Nazi collector named Scott Elkins who lives in a trailer and gets off on violating roosters, and you think that Rob and Jim are the "perfect example of everything that is wrong with this hobby?" Dude, really?

JP
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM

I didn't.

Wesley was concerned for me, and so I told him he didn't need to be becase I got a consignment deal I was happy with. The details are irrelevant. I also in doing so was addressing Barry's question of why I let it go so quickly.

I think it'll go well above what I bought it for, so I don't even think I needed a good consignment deal to have a result I'd be happy with.

Jay Wolt
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
At least he had a nice movie reference

http://blogs.creditcards.com/dukes.jpg

JP
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
JP, there is an auction house under criminal investigation for ripping off hobbyists for millions of dollars, there are card doctors trimming thousands of cards a year, there is a psychotic, apparently neo-Nazi collector named Scott Elkins who lives in a trailer and gets off on violating roosters, and you think that Rob and Jim are the "perfect example of everything that is wrong with this hobby?" Dude, really?

Yes, I do. Your examples I feel are perfect for what is wrong within the business of buying and selling cards.

Rob and Jim are examples of what is wrong with the hobby. Disrespectful, belittling others. Fraternity mentality that yields "that guy" who shows up at his high school reunions and doesn't realize everyone else has grown up. You won't see me throwing the first stone against anyone...

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 11:09 PM

None of those guys questioned JP when he came on the board in February, working the BST for T206's for his sons and then turned around and flipped them on Ebay two weeks later.

None of them asked questions when another board member bought a card on Ebay for @$250, sold it to JP on the BST for @160, and then promptly bought it back from JP on Ebay a week later for @185. (numbers are estimates.)

None of them commented when he demanded that a thread be deleted/locked because it asked questions about one of his completed ebay auctions.

None of them laughed pubicly when JP bought a card in early March, flapped in the wind for 3-4 days, changing his mind multiple times, then flipped it in REA in April.

Yes. I am everything that is wrong with this hobby. I hang my head in shame! :rolleyes:

Bicem
04-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Rob and Jim are examples of what is wrong with the hobby.

hmmm... I can't argue with that.

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Hell. Even I didn't argue with that!

Jim VB
04-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Disrespectful, belittling others.

Just out of curiousity, during your long duration on the board, who have I ever been disrespectful or belittling to, besides Dorskind and you?

(And don't count me calling Rob an asshat. I only do that when it's true.)

Anthony S.
04-02-2010, 11:27 PM
None of those guys questioned JP when he came on the board in February, working the BST for T206's for his sons and then turned around and flipped them on Ebay two weeks later.

To be fair, Jim, maybe he sells the cards to his sons on Ebay.

JP
04-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Jim, you're an a**hole. No two ways about it....you've already been warned by Leon once about talking about my kids (my son is 4 years old) so I'm hoping you just blew your second chance.

A lot of people sold me cards on BST. I also purchased cards in private deals that were higher grades or dupes of the ones I bought on BST, and so I sold them on eBay. Who cares?

None of them asked questions when another board member bought a card on Ebay for @$250, sold it to JP on the BST for @160, and then promptly bought it back from JP on Ebay a week later for @185. (numbers are estimates.)

Beaten this horse dead enough times, jerk? I buy and sell hundreds and hundreds of cards on eBay every year, and thousands more off of eBay. Who cares if someone buys back a card they sold to me? I have no control over that, so stop trying to make me out to be a bad guy. I have perfect buying and selling feedback, and no one has yet to make an accusation. Either grow a pair and make an accusation or shut the f*ck up.

None of them commented when he demanded that a thread be deleted/locked because it asked questions about one of his completed ebay auctions.

Now you're just recycling your "zingers". That is the same thread as your previous paragraph.

None of them laughed pubicly when JP bought a card in early March, flapped in the wind for 3-4 days, changing his mind multiple times, then flipped it in REA in April.

Again, can you not read? I bought a card that was second to a card I really wanted and never expected to win, tossed around the idea of reversing restoration to get the card out of it I really wanted, was convinced by others it was not possible, and now am consigning it in hopes of getting what was my original intended purchase.

Yes. I am everything that is wrong with this hobby. I hang my head in shame! :rolleyes:

Not only do I think you are what's wrong with this hobby, I think you're also a perfect example of what is wrong with a lot of humanity. You're a piece of sh*t. Next time try to speak to others with a bit of respect and understanding instead of drawing false conclusions and trying to badger others into submission.

You're on my ignore list for now. I'm guessing you've made the roster with other people as well in the past.

I strongly suggest you never mention my kids again. Banishment will be the least of your concerns. This is my last post on the subject.

(Here's where you can make one of your smartass remarks like "how will you be able to read when I talk about your kids when I'm on your ignore list?" Others will let me know if you do, and that will be enough.)

calvindog
04-03-2010, 12:12 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrllCZw8jiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrllCZw8jiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JP
04-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Calvindog, it would be foolish for a mailman to assume that all dogs just bark and don't bite, would it not? ;)

Chicago206
04-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Notice there are just a scant 2 Drum backed T206's in the auction? What does that say about Drum backs?

GrayGhost
04-03-2010, 05:29 AM
After sifting through the petty fighting on here, it says one thing, the Drum backs must be rare.

I mean, Ive scanned some of this auction, and tho I love looking at great memorablia, there is enough, and what a selection for the card guys. I look forward to following the auction.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 06:25 AM
I won't stoop to the name calling you find so endearing. Nor will I escalate this further. Suffice it to say you've been on the board for 2 months. You've had several "incidents" that show your true nature. That speaks for itself.

No one would have any idea about your family, had you not told us. No one would know you were the seller of those T206's at a loss, had you not "outed" yourself and demanded the thread locked. No one would know you were the buyer/seller of the Plank had you not posted it. We only know what you want us to know, and that's more than enough to make many laugh.

And please... PLEASE... add calvindog into your "axis of evil" group. We can sell tickets and popcorn.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Ha! Rob is what's wrong with the hobby. I have been promoted to what's wrong with humanity!

Rob D.
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn't.

Wesley was concerned for me, and so I told him he didn't need to be becase I got a consignment deal I was happy with. The details are irrelevant. I also in doing so was addressing Barry's question of why I let it go so quickly.

I think it'll go well above what I bought it for, so I don't even think I needed a good consignment deal to have a result I'd be happy with.

Just for the sake of accuracy, in another REA thread, 10:05 p.m. April 1, from JP:

That Plank is mine....I didn't plan on flipping it so quickly, but I can't resist Rob Lifson's charm. Our arrangement is too good to pass up!

So save "The details are irrelevant" plea. You were practically begging for someone to ask just what the arrangement is that's "too good to pass up."

Sorry to let the facts get in the way of yet another story.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Asshat!

calvindog
04-03-2010, 08:30 AM
In fairness to JP, Rob is pretty well-known in the auction industry for cutting consignment rates to 5% or less for 18K items.

And Jim, I do have to agree with JP on this one, you are a blight on humanity. I will be discussing it at length on my next radio show entitled Which is Worse: Iranian Nukes or Jim VB's sarcasm? Close call.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
And Jim, I do have to agree with JP on this one, you are a blight on humanity. I will be discussing it at length on my next radio show entitled Which is Worse: Iranian Nukes or Jim VB's sarcasm? Close call.

You need me to call in?

Edited to add: Following the Michigan Militia show and the coverage of James O'Keefe, you can't lose.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 08:45 AM

JP may well be correct on this. If he is, it will be very telling about the state of the auction industry. It a card sells in Legendary for one price and, 60 days later, the exact card sells in REA for an increased price, what does that tell future consignors? Given those facts, why would anyone EVER consign to Legendary again, unless you didn't want to wait for the once a year auction?

calvindog
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
JP may well be correct on this. If he is, it will be very telling about the state of the auction industry. It a card sells in Legendary for one price and, 60 days later, the exact card sells in REA for an increased price, what does that tell future consignors? Given those facts, why would anyone EVER consign to Legendary again, unless you didn't want to wait for the once a year auction?

Well, Legendary can "guarantee" great service and record "prices!" (Well, apparently not so much anymore.)

By the way, whatever happened to Jim Clarke? I don't see him on the boards anymore.

OldSchoolBaseball
04-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I speak for many other serious collectors when I say I hope the Plank sells for $10k - that'll be a great flip! The eventual owner of the card will always know it's no better than a scan from a book.

Personally, an altered card with added color and corners just doesn't seem right and I would not trade Hunky "F&cking" Shaw for that phony "made-to-order" card.

Chicago206
04-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I speak for many other serious collectors when I say I hope the Plank sells for $10k - that'll be a great flip! The eventual owner of the card will always know it's no better than a scan from a book.

Personally, an altered card with added color and corners just doesn't seem right and I would not trade Hunky "F&cking" Shaw for that phony "made-to-order" card.

I completely concur....and im not even a "serious" collector. Altered cards are no better than fake, man-made fantasy pieces.

steve B
04-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Oh, hey! I've got a Shaw! I'll gladly trade it for any genuine plank, modified, trimmed, anything.

Sorry if this comes across as another sarcastic post. I just had to, in case there's any actual takers...

Steve B

uniship
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
i predict that restored plank sells for $45k. an excellent flip is my guess. congrats to the flipper if it plays out like i think it will.

04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
My wife has "The Young and the Restless"; I have Net 54!

calvindog
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM
i predict that restored plank sells for $45k. an excellent flip is my guess. congrats to the flipper if it plays out like i think it will.

In 2007 a fantastic Plank PSA 1 sold for $21,150.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/138.html

It would boggle the mind to think that a restored one -- not simply a trimmed one but a restored one -- would sell for even that much.

barrysloate
04-03-2010, 10:45 AM
It's already pretty high with multiple bids, and is doing better than some of REA's graded ones.

uniship
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Calvindog - i hear you but i just have a feeling this one's going for a lot more than 21k. I think there is a group of collectors that just like high-end looking cards over completely legitimate examples. i am not one of those collectors - i like the rare, beat-up unaltered stuff.

45k including the BP is still my guess. total guess on my part - but i think we'll witness a textbook homerun flip here.

Rob D.
04-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Asshat!

Hope to meet a lot of you guys at the National. Look for me on the floor:

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Calvindog - i hear you but i just have a feeling this one's going for a lot more than 21k. I think there is a group of collectors that just like high-end looking cards over completely legitimate examples. i am not one of those collectors - i like the rare, beat-up unaltered stuff.

45k including the BP is still my guess. total guess on my part - but i think we'll witness a textbook homerun flip here.

I honestly hope you are right. I would hate to see anyone, even JP, take a bath on a flip like that. But my question is, if there are people out there willing to spend $45,000 on that card, where were they in March when Legendary auctioned it? Can REA's reputation be worth double what that card sold for in March?

I assume he will break even. I'll be happy if he makes a few bucks. Keep in mind, this is an internet only item. It will not be in the catalog when that drops.

barrysloate
04-03-2010, 11:51 AM
If in fact this card sells for significantly more than it did in Legendary, the end result will be everyone will be scouring the next Legendary Auction for bargains. And of course at that point any possible chance for a bargain will be gone. The market has a way of finding its balance.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
If in fact this card sells for significantly more than it did in Legendary, the end result will be everyone will be scouring the next Legendary Auction for bargains. And of course at that point any possible chance for a bargain will be gone. The market has a way of finding its balance.

Excellent thought. I hadn't looked at it that way.

The converse is, however, Legendary will struggle, even moreso, for consignments.

calvindog
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM

More and more people are simply not participating in Legendary. Grand jury investigation, lawsuits, consignors not being paid, barking dogs into phone receivers -- and add in all of their generally disgusting behavior and there you have it.

JP
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
With mine (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=14790) having twice the starting bid of the stained SGC 30 Plank (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=13374) ($5000 vs. $2500), and an OPEN estimate instead of $10-20K like the SGC 30 Plank, I think mine will exceed the price of that Plank. I can't see ANY SGC 30 Plank selling for less than $30-35K, so I've got a gut feeling my "flip" is going to well exceed my original purchase price. Chalk it up to wishful thinking if you'd like, but the card IS in far better condition than any other restored Plank -- looks like a PSA 9. It has only had its corners added to and a paint touchup....it has NOT been trimmed.

And as I've said from day one, I think Legendary/Mastro's issues and rep caused this card to sell for MUCH less than it should have.

barrysloate
04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Jeff and JP- despite Legendary's rep and disastrous PR, there are no shortage of bargain hunters out there. I don't care how much people dislike bidding with them, if there are key lots selling at 50% of retail there will be somebody looking to buy them. I realize in this instance JP's Plank may do much better this time around, but the word will get out and everybody will be scouring for future bargains. And at that point there won't be bargains anymore. It's very hard to find affordable inventory these days and I can assure you I and others will be paying attention when Legendary's next catalog comes out.

JP
04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
In 2007 a fantastic Plank PSA 1 sold for $21,150.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/138.html

In 2009, a PSA 1 sold at REA for $38,188.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/212.html

JP
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Jeff and JP- despite Legendary's rep and disastrous PR, there are no shortage of bargain hunters out there. I don't care how much people dislike bidding with them, if there are key lots selling at 50% of retail there will be somebody looking to buy them. I realize in this instance JP's Plank may do much better this time around, but the word will get out and everybody will be scouring for future bargains. And at that point there won't be bargains anymore. It's very hard to find affordable inventory these days and I can assure you I and others will be paying attention when Legendary's next catalog comes out.

I couldn't agree more. Do you think it will take long before Legendary's prices come all the way back to comparable with the other major houses?

I still can't believe that no one has caught on to Coach's Corner's :(:(:(unbelievable:(:(:( low prices!!!

barrysloate
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
JP- as I said earlier markets have a way of seeking their own level. If something is underpriced there is no shortage of people willing to buy it.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 12:55 PM
JP- as I said earlier markets have a way of seeking their own level. If something is underpriced there is no shortage of people willing to buy it.

Very true, Barry. I think Legendary's problems will come from a drop in good consignments. If you had a Plank to move, why go to Legendary and have it auction for $21,000 if REA gets substantially more?

Whatever they do get consigned, there will always be buyers for.

Jim VB
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I still can't believe that no one has caught on to Coach's Corner's :(:(:(unbelievable:(:(:( low prices!!!

I don't know that there is a reliable price tracking mechanism for fake memorabilia.

JP
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM

I hope you got that the Coach's reference was deep sarcasm...unless you were referencing Legendary. Coach's fake items should always stay low...until the corporate heads are sent to prison. I, too, would like a real Babe Ruth bath for $11,000.

barrysloate
04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I wasn't referring to CC. They don't count.

fkw
04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Doyle is rare.

Wagner, Plank, Magie are not so rare.

wonkaticket
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Re-built or not the fact is the Plank is a great looking card.

And if a collector want's a 150 series Plank which will always have a better image he hasn't had much choice in un-altered copies.

The last 4 out of 5 150's for sale I know of have all been altered.

PSA 7 Copeland Plank "Harris Collection" known trimmed card.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/websize/Plank%20PSA%207_1.jpg

AUTH Wagner-Mate Plank REA "Trimmed"
(One of only a few P150 cards, the only one that isn't in poor cond or missing colors...the others were part of the Halper collection, it's also connected to hobby's most valuable card)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/Item_12350_1.jpg

AUTH FrankenPlank SGC Huggins Scott Rebuilt background and corners and color added. (Has sold several times in both raw, PSA and SGC for around 15-24k)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/websize/12192_t206_plank_sgc.jpg

AUTH PLank in REA now Re-built Corners

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/websize/Item_14790_1.jpg

Just are not that many 150's floating around 350's come up way more. That could be because they are tougher or that folks keep the better looking and sell the fuzzy 350's....

As far as what it will fetch I guess we will find out..as a bidder I wouldn't pay twice as much as the market set less than 60 days ago. No matter what auction house was re-listing it.

Cheers,

John

chiprop
04-03-2010, 06:08 PM
All t206 cards are super common and in my opinion, a horrible investment! A rare card is one rarely seen, and the Plank aint one of 'em.

Potomac Yank
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
We have The Big ONE!

JP
04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
We have The Big ONE!

The "Big One" is an obvious reference to the elusive Joe Jackson proof, no?

uniship
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
is the big one cobb/cobb?

wonkaticket
04-03-2010, 08:01 PM
D-day...(Doyle) Not many folks are there but big Joe is! :)

JP
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
D-day...(Doyle) Not many folks are there but big Joe is! :)

I find the Doyle variation as interesting as Nodgrass....which would be not at all.

wonkaticket
04-03-2010, 08:13 PM
JP really??? :confused:

You put the Doyle NY. Natl. in the same league as a missing S Nodgrass plate error card???

That makes no sense as a fellow T206 collector...the Doyle is the king of T206 cards in terms of toughness...no other T206 comes close.

Wagner, Plank & Magie are just a question of cash...but even with cash you would have a hard time getting any Doyle let alone a nice example.

sgbernard
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Wonka, I'm there with you: I stopped collecting T206s a long time ago and will never afford a Doyle, but it's a difference between a plate error (nodgrass) and a full error run in adding the Nat'l. It's apples and oranges.

Also, the story about Larry Fritsch, a hobby pioneer, putting ads in SCD trying to buy up all examples quietly is legendary and only adds to the card's interest. It's the big one rarity-wise, a truly great card.

wonkaticket
04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Seth agree 100% as T206 collector you can always use the out on the Cobb/Cobb back and dispute if it's a T206 or not.

But with Doyle theres no getting around that card on a checklist... :(

Potomac Yank
04-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Flippers follow the Market, and really believe that their portfolio is a collection.

Collectors know their tobacco cards. :)

JP
04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
JP really??? :confused:

Yup, really. I find a broken printing plate as interesting as a quick correction by the tobacco companies to correct Doyle's team designation.

Doyle and Snodgrass will never be as interesting as the unsolvable mysteries surrounding Plank and Honus being printed and then pulled...

barrysloate
04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
In a manner of speaking the Doyle, Nat'l was pulled too. They stopped making them.

JP
04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
In a manner of speaking the Doyle, Nat'l was pulled too. They stopped making them.

I heard they were made but not distributed to the public, then they dumped them in the ocean with 1952 Topps...

But seriously, yes, they were pulled, but it isn't a complete mystery as to why. The anti-tobacco, license for likeness use, etc. mystery will live on forever.

Potomac Yank
04-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Flippers follow the Market. :)

barrysloate
04-04-2010, 04:08 PM
JP- are you not a fan of the Magie error either? That's a valid T206 variation, and a rare one.

JP
04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I think I like it just as much because I've heard some interesting theories about why it was changed and other misspellings weren't, one of them being that Sherry was one of the few ballplayers at the time that could actually read...

Potomac Yank
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
You're proving our point. :)

JP
04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
You're proving our point. :)

What point? I'm entitled to whatever opinion I'd like as to what I find interesting and what I don't. You aren't a sophisticate or better educated just because you happen to have a differing opinion. Am I not supposed to find the Magie error interesting?

slidekellyslide
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I think I like it just as much because I've heard some interesting theories about why it was changed and other misspellings weren't, one of them being that Sherry was one of the few ballplayers at the time that could actually read...

Got a cite for that?

JP
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Got a cite for that?

Yup, heard (read) it on these very forums. Search for it if you'd like to find it, but it's here somewhere...

Potomac Yank
04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
And don't hold your breath about the Magee/Magie reading site ... let JP talk. :)

JP
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
And don't hold your breath about the Magee/Magie reading site ... let JP talk. :)

Nice attitude, especially since 4 minutes prior I already told him where I read it...

slidekellyslide
04-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, I don't recall anyone on this site saying that and I imagine trying to find that in the archives won't be easy. I'll take your word that you heard it here, but right now I'll call BS on the story. I doubt there was a single ballplayer illiterate or not that did not know how to at the very least correctly spell his own name. Joe Jackson was illiterate, but contrary to popular belief he could write his name.

JP
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. NO WHERE do I state that the story is factual. I just said I heard an interesting story, and it WAS on these forums. I honestly know NOTHING about the state of literacy at the time, so I cant speak to that point. When I'm not on my iPhone I'll try searching for it. Know any search function tricks?

Potomac Yank
04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Asked to back up his BS, and he produces a nebulous nada, and prays that you take it as a fact.

Will someone please break it gently to JP that Christy Matthewson was not the only ball player from that period to go to college.

Lad, you couldn't cut it where I come from. :)

Jim VB
04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Kudos to Dan B, for using "cite" and "site" in back to back posts and getting them correct! You rarely see that on the internet!

Now who's making fun of the Cornhuskers?!!!!

barrysloate
04-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Dan's posts are a sight for sore eyes...not to be confused with an ophthalmologist's page which is a site for sore eyes.

JP
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Potomac, try not to be jerk. I already told you that it was mentioned in these forums, and I'm not educated enough on the subject to give my own opinion. Look for the post yourself and then you can berate whoever the author was...

Touch'EmAll
04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Given the number of these 2 items in the REA auction -how relatively rare are they?

I pulled out from submitting a Cobb T206 Green because I learned there were already a couple of them in the auction. Seemed to be too many to get a great price.

I have a 1925 Ruth Postcard PSA 5 - Maybe the single highest grade of this item ever (or second highest). It is more "rare" than these Plank T206's. But the market price will only fetch , maybe $3k. - for a 1920's Ruth card for crying out loud.

And how much for a not-one-of-a-kind Plank?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jeesh, go figure. Only thing I can come up with is this hobby is driven primarily by Demand, demand, demand. Not supply.

slidekellyslide
04-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Kudos to Dan B, for using "cite" and "site" in back to back posts and getting them correct! You rarely see that on the internet!

Now who's making fun of the Cornhuskers?!!!!

Jim, I am a graduate of Nowledge U.

M's_Fan
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Jeesh, go figure. Only thing I can come up with is this hobby is driven primarily by Demand, demand, demand. Not supply.

Well, its actually both supply and demand. The T206 is probably the most popular pre-war set, and lots of folks want to complete theirs, so naturally the demand far outpaces supply. Many cards are rarer, but not nearly as sought after. If a 1000 Planks were suddenly found in the attic of some old tobacco co. employee, the "demand" could never absorb this supply and the prices would plummet.

T206Collector
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
The T206 is probably the most popular pre-war set, and lots of folks want to complete theirs, so naturally the demand far outpaces supply.

That's exactly the issue. The primary driver of price on Plank and Magie are the folks who are looking to complete their T206 sets -- or get as near to completion as possible. The advent of ebay fostered the illusion that a T206 set can be put together relatively easily on a modest budget, if you're willing to be patient. Indeed, most of the cards can be found on ebay within a few weeks, if you have the capital.

But you just about never see a Plank or Magie on ebay. It does happen, but it is rare. So a lot of folks over the past decade got pretty far along with their sets -- minus Wagner, Plank, Magie and, of course, Doyle. And there is a crush for them. I would suspect that Plank is somewhat scarcer than Magie, just given the different price points.

OldSchoolBaseball
05-02-2010, 08:12 AM
It looks like the altered Plank went for $16k after just recently selling for $20k. REA should not have over-packed the auction with a bunch of Planks and Magies. Maybe a semi annual action would have helped.

Tough loss for the consigner...

ChiefBenderForever
05-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Sometimes the flip flops.

botn
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't know JP but I don't see how anyone can buy a card like that in a major auction a few months earlier only to consign it to another major auction and expect to do well. Sorry it turned out that way for JP.

fkw
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Uh, OK.......

IMO
Besides "Doyle", and "Broadleaf 460"..... "Rare" and "T206" should never be used in the same sentence.

Rob D.
05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
It looks like the altered Plank went for $16k after just recently selling for $20k. REA should not have over-packed the auction with a bunch of Planks and Magies. Maybe a semi annual action would have helped.

Tough loss for the consigner...

The restored Plank that sold in Legendary was in REA's auction? Really?

chiprop
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Uh, OK.......

IMO
Besides "Doyle", and "Broadleaf 460"..... "Rare" and "T206" should never be used in the same sentence.

Frank- 100% agreed! Prediction... Prices may start to come down accross the board for the t206 set. There are just too many of them.

jmk59
05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know JP but I don't see how anyone can buy a card like that in a major auction a few months earlier only to consign it to another major auction and expect to do well. Sorry it turned out that way for JP.

I agree with this completely. Whenever you win any auction, you have to keep in mind that you were willing to pay more for that item than anyone else. So unless there are certain circumstances - lot break-up potential, etc - you should probably assume that no one will be willing to pay more for the same thing in the immediate future.

It could happen, but I wouldn't assume so. But it is unfortunate for JP. Shoot.

Joann

teetwoohsix
05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think the T206's prices will come down too much,but wouldn't mind if they did-I still have a long way to go :D

It is true,lots of other cards that seem way rarer than T206's.

Sincerely,Clayton

chaddurbin
05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
congrats to wonka for finally adding a plank and perhaps to jp for adding his grail of a numerical plank.