PDA

View Full Version : Jersery Restoration

prichmond
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
What is the general opinion on restored jersery's? I am looking at a couple of items in the gray fannel auction. It states that the name plates have been repaired. In one case the restoration was doen by the team and the other it doesn't say. Is this as taboo as card retoration or is thw world ok with it if it is clearly stated?

Thanks

pete

canjond
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Might want to also ask your question on the Game Used board... www.gameuseduniverse.com

drc
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
In the old days of NFL, jerseys were often worn a long time, so team repairs (ala stitched up tear) to a Bart Starr jersey would be considered acceptable and even standard. Also, jerseys were often taiored by the team for the player-- sleeves taken in, bottom lengthened, etc. That's all acceptable.

When numbers and name plates are switched-- ala giving a jersey to a new player, or sending it down or minor leaguers-- that will change the value, even if it was all legitimate and done by the team.

If a jersey had the name plate restored in modern times by the collector or dealer, that would be like baseball alteration alteration territory.

perezfan
04-01-2010, 04:29 PM
It's a personal preference, but I definitely prefer them to be all-original. If it was a collector's doing, a restored name plate or number usually takes about 30 - 40% off the value of the jersey. If it was team-issued, then it's perhaps 20 - 30 % less valuable.

If the concept of restoration bothers you at all, I would hold out for one that's completely original. The restoration will always nag at you, and you may dwell on that more than the jersey itself. If restoration doesn't bother you, then you have a nice opportunity to acquire a game-used item at a discounted price... perhaps at a third less than you would pay otherwise.