PDA

View Full Version : Should I crack CSA slab or let SGC cross over?

cnykirk
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I have a csa card, that I'd like to have SGC grade.. Wondering if its best to send it in in the CSA slab for cross-over, or if I should crack it out and send it raw... ?

I've cracked 2 before and sent t o PSA with good rresults.. actually graded the exact same. While that would be great, I don't expect it.. Though the card is pretty sweet.. I'll never understand why anyone would grade a card with CSA.. Other than the obvious reasons like to slip a trimmed card by,.. But this one measures up and isnt trimmed and upon inspection I don't think it's altered.

Anyway, anyone with advice, I'd appreciate it.

JasonL
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
rather than crossover.
My thinking on this topic is that the card is what the card is, and it should thus grade accordingly....so why tempt anyone (no matter great a grader) with any first impression such as another company's slab?...
just my 3 cents....
good luck with it.

Exhibitman
04-01-2010, 10:08 AM
FWIW, I cracked a few CSA slabs and sent them in several years ago. The 1954 #250 Williams came back exactly the same grade from PSA. The 1953 Bowman Spahn did not grade with SGC for alterations, which I agreed with when it was shown to me. I would not send it in a CSA slab. I think it would prejudice the grader. Besides, it isn't like a CSA slab has any actual resale value to it. It isn't a crooked outfit like PRO but it isn't a first tier grader either.

cnykirk
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I cracked it.. ;)

I did it twice before and got the same exact grade before.. so I was happy.. And the grade was accurate.. This card fit so perfectly into the csa slab I decided before buying it that it wasn't likely trimmed.. and upon holding it up to other cards it measures fine.. I have heard they've graded a fair amount of trimmed pre-war stuff.... but the post war stuff is easier to tell because it fits snugly into their standard holder/gasket..

Zach Wheat
04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I bought a pre-was CSA graded card as a likely "Trimmed" card; it will be a great deal if the card is not trimmed. Havne't had it regracded yet.