PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Harwell

Kalineman
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
As a longtime collector and former sports editor, I got to know Detroit Tigers announcers Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey during my spring training stays. I wanted to update members of this board that Ernie is looking forward to Opening Day. I just talked to Paul the other day and he said Ernie called him on his birthday last week and wished him well. Ernie is 92 and has cancer. We were hoping he'd be here for the New Year and here he is still here on Opening Day. Ernie is conserving energy and looking forward to the season opener like the rest of us. Thought you fans would enjoy an update.

Robextend
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks so much Nick!! I wish Ernie well, he is a true legend.

dennis
03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
a real living legend,a link with baseballs past. all the best to him!

CardTarget
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
It makes me sad that my first thought when I saw the title of this thread is "Oh No". I'm hoping to hear Ernie on the radio again soon. His voice defined a lot of nights in my childhood.

On the perfect clear night when I was growing up in Virginia I could tilt my antenna just right and pick up WJR out of Detroit... I still try sometimes (even though the Tigers moved off of WJR a few years ago).

Beatles Guy
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I didn't know much about Ernie until I saw the interview last year with Bob Costas. Seems like a classy fellow who represents the Tigers well. Wishing him all the best...

D. Broughman
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
If you love baseball read Tuned To Baseball by Ernie Harwell great book.

AndyG09
03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
A great tidbit on Ernie was that he was traded from the Atlanta Crackers to the Brooklyn Dodgers for major league catcher Cliff Dapper. He is definitely one of the finest gentleman to grace the Earth.

toppcat
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Glad to hear he will make another opening day. Love the sign above!

oldjudge
03-30-2010, 06:35 PM
A wonderful gentleman who was kind enough to grace our Old Judge book by writing the forward. God bless Ernie!

geor952
03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Nick,
Thanks so much for the update. My heart too sank, when I saw the title of the thread. He has given us so many memories along with his wife Lulu. He shared his collection of Tigers memorabilia at a Detroit Public Library a couple of summers ago, what a treat!

Kalineman
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Ernie is the one who introduced me to Ted Williams down in Winter Haven, when the Tigers were there to play the Red Sox in an exhibition game. Walking over to the minor league complex and hearing Williams barking out things at the players... well, by the time Ernie and I walked up, I was more nervous about that meeting then my own wedding. But, thanks to Ernie breaking the ice, the short meeting went well and I had another item crossed off my bucket list.

tbob
03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I caught the Costas interview and it was a truly great piece about an incredibly strong, kind and loving person. I was touched when Costas asked him a question about this year's World Series and he said he wouldn't be there to see it. Very sad. I hope he gets to watch it and continues his longevity as an incredible person.

jmk59
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
I think I'd consider giving up an Opening Day of my own if it would get him another one. Very cool that he will see this one. Harwell, along with Kaline and Kell, ARE Michigan baseball for the last half-century.

Joann

Joe_G.
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone who knows Ernie & Lulu love them. I won't repeat my previous stories but will simply again wish him a high quality of life for the rest of his days with us. God Bless Ernie!

A true baseball legend with such an enthusiasm for the game of old and new. Here is Ernie in 1959 sharing his amazing collection.

Hot Springs Bathers
04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Joe I was searching for that photo to post. I know Ernie was a huge collector and advertised in many magazines for books and guides through the 1950s & 60s. I believe his collection was donated to the Detroit Public Library. I may be wrong but I think he also had a nice card collection with many dealings with sports writer/dealer Wirt Gammon of Chattanooga.

Joe_G.
04-02-2010, 09:28 AM
He did have a great card collection that was largely donated to the Detroit Public Library. Shortly after I wrote the Tomlinson Studio article for Old Cardboard (fall 2007), Ernie contacted me asking if we could meet. He is such a fan of baseball history. Long story short, my wife and I met with Ernie and Lulu for dinner and I took some of my favorite pieces including some Tomlinson cabinets (since afterall, that is what prompted him to contact me). After a wonderful dinner of conversation, I began sharing some items with him. Part way through, he looked up at me, and with a big smile and glimmer in his eye asked if I had any Old Judges. Unfortunately, I didn't take any of them with me on that trip. I then explained how I had already studied his collection in great detail at the Detroit Public Library where he has his collection of 98 Old Judges including an exceedingly rare copy of Flynn (one of three documented examples). He recalled with great detail the items he had collected in his youth and donated to the library some 40-50 years earlier.

As we neared completion of the Old Judge book, Ernie was asked if he would be willing to write a Foreword and boy did he. It is beautiful from the first word to last, a true writing talent. My favorite part reads as follows:

"I collected these in my youth and derived great enjoyment from them. In this book, they remind me of those collecting days and how much enjoyment they afforded me. Reading this book, I felt young again."

Hot Springs Bathers
04-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Joe that post made my day! It is how I feel at times when collecting. Thanks for sharing it! I love Ernie, I purchased his CD collection and really enjoy listening to his voice. When speaking to groups on baseball history I often read his classic poem. As a matter of I fact I did so while speaking to a sports journalism class at Ouachita Baptist University yesterday. By the way your book is on my coffee table, I'll re-read his intro tonight. Thanks, Mike Dugan

ethicsprof
04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm with Bob M.
The Costas interview was very,very moving.

best,
barry