PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Identifying a Card: Stan Musial

Drew6
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I picked up this card at the Philly Show earlier this month, but don't know anything about it other than McCurdy's was a department store in NY and based on the photo used, looks like it is from the 1960's. I want to get it holdered, but SGC had never seen it before and requested that I try and find out more information about it. Has anyone seen this card before? It is not in the big book. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Drew

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/8/3/4/4/4/webimg/360192645_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/8/3/4/4/4/webimg/360192558_o.jpg

fkw
03-29-2010, 04:38 PM
never seen it before....

The front Looks similar to the one Musial used for his restaurant in the 1960's, but that one is postcard size and has a caption at bottom of front.

McCurdy's

Rochester based company
Card has to be later that 1962 .......

the Midtown store opened in 1962 from what I just read.

PS the Greece store opened in 1953, and other store was downtown

toppcat
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
A perpetual calendar should solve this mystery.;)

fkw
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Dave good point :)

It is 1964 by the dates of the Saturdays on back.

Drew6
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys, it looks like we are off to a good start. Drew

Leon
03-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I can't help a whole lot but it does look like the same pose. Sometimes that can help in identifying a date..

http://luckeycards.com/phuncstanmusialrestuarant.jpg

Jim VB
03-31-2010, 07:31 AM
McCurdy's was the #2 department store in the Rochester NY area (Sibley, Lindey & Curr was usually considered #1.) McCurdy's opened the Midtown Plaza location, as noted by Frank, in 1962. That Plaza was a big deal in the retail world back then. It was the first, downtown, indoor, mall in the USA. Malls themselves were only 6 years old. At that time retail sales were mostly done in downtown stores, or strip centers. The word "mall" wasn't really used. Hence, "indoor shopping centers."

That string of Saturday dates matches up with a 1964 calendar, so that would be my guess.

Drew6
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Thank you to Frank, Dave, Leon, & Jim, everyone for the information up to this point. I'm hoping that getting the date 1964 and the information on McCurdy's it self will help me to get this slabbed. By the way, do you think it is possible for this card to make it into the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards?

Drew

ALR-bishop
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
If you look at the Armour Coin thread in this forum, it was started by Bob Lemke. He is the decision maker on pre 1980 SCD listings. You can e mail or message him about this thread

Bob Lemke
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
I'd have to be convinced that the item is a genuine, circa 1964, issue. I don't know if it's the scan or the card itself, but that photo looks to be rescreened, which is not a good sign.

Why would a Rochester, N.Y. department store issue such a piece after Musial's retirement?

Drew6
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

As I stated in my original post, I picked it up at the Philly Show and was looking for additional information to get SGC to holder it for me. I bought the card from Mike Mosier of Columbia City Collectibles Co. who tends to sell lots of very odd ball and hard to find misc. items. I'm not sure what rescreened means, but would be happy to send it to you look at for me if you'd like. I would love to know more about it and if it is in fact from 1964 (hopefully). If it is not genuine, hopefully, I can get my money back. I'm not sure why a NY Store would use a Musial Photo, in fact it was only from Brian at SGC that I learned that McCurdy's was in NY. Any information you can provide would be great. Thank you, Drew