PDA

View Full Version : Carl Hubbell signed 3x5 index card

chimpanzee72
03-26-2010, 05:47 PM
I have a 3x5 index card signed by "King" Carl Hubbell. I looked up the book value on Tuff Stuff and it only lists at $25. I would have thought it would be worth a lot more than that. He signed it in his later years and you can tell as the writing is sort of "shaky" as if he was having difficulty holding the pen. Nevertheless, it's still an enjoyable part of my collection because I obtained it by writing a letter to him.

I also have one of Judy Johnson a HOFer from the Negroe League. He wrote back to me and said "Dear Matt, thank you for remembering me". I thought that was kind of cool that I could brighten an old ball player's day by sending an autograph request.

J.McMurry
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I believe Carl lived until 1988 and he did do the card show circuit, as well as TTM ,which accounts for the low market value. He had a stroke sometime in the early/mid 80's(?) which accounts for his "shakey" signature in later life. There may be a slight premium for his pre-stroke sig. but I'm not certain.

RichardSimon
03-26-2010, 06:18 PM
The pre stroke signature is a little easier to sell, but prices are pretty much the same for both.
He was a great pitcher and a prolific signer, thus the low value for his autograph.

chimpanzee72
03-26-2010, 06:45 PM
OK, I didn't realize he did that much signing.