PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this card

Buythatcard
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I recently purchased this card at the Philly show but I have no idea which set it's from. I know if I display it on the NEt54 board, someone will be able to identify it. It's a card of Hazen Kiki Cuyler.

Leon
03-26-2010, 06:52 PM
What size is it and is the stock really thin?

Buythatcard
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
It measures 3 3/4 x 2 1/4

Paper is thin.

Leon
03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
It looks sort of like R315 but there is no team name, it has cursive letters....and is a bit bigger. I am going to guess that since it's on paper like stock, maybe a bit thicker, that it is a cutout from an advertisement. That's a first guess.....

leftygrove10
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I've never seen that before.... The sides and top look like they were cut with scissors rather than being cut at the factory... That would be evidence of Leon's theory that it was cut from an advertisement..

Buythatcard
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
The edges definitley don't feel like they were cut out.

This might be a tough one to figure out.

Thanks for your help Leon.

tlwise12
03-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Howard,

Hi Im Travis! Anyways this isnt a toughie at all. I was at the Sun Times show last weekend and purchased one and the collector actually told me it was a cutout from a premium and it actually is. I found them in the standard catalog. They are 1930s Blue Ribbon Malt premium poster cut outs! They have Cubs and White Sox...I bought this Woody English from the set and only paid $6. They are soooo rare and soo cheap.

If you dont mind me asking how much was the Wilson?

Travis

Buythatcard
03-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks Travis,

Actually its Cuyler not Wilson. I bought this along with several other cards from a dealer that I have dealt with before. I don't know what I actually paid for this card but it was atleast $35 or more. I never saw this card type before and I trusted him. You guys are right, it must be a cut out. I have also checked with a friend of mine who is a card dealer and he agreed that it was from the 30's Blue Ribbon poster cut out.

Thanks for all your help.

rhettyeakley
03-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Travis is correct, they are cut from the Blue Ribbon Malt posters. The posters are actually surprisingly not too tough to find, but are usually fairly beat up when you do find them (probably due to the awkward size).

I have honestly never really understood why the SCD book lists these cards as singles as they weren't intended to be cut up. Also the pictures on the poster aren't even all the same size--some are narrow some are wide, etc.

-Rhett

fkw
03-27-2010, 08:02 PM
The kids often made cards out of them, they are often found cut up, just like the 4-in-1 Exhibits.

It probably wasnt made for that purpose, but the kids did it many times :)

Here is an example of one from the White Sox sheet. I dont have any now.... but have had about 10 different from both teams and like Rhett says they are all different widths.
http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1930blueribbon.jpg