PDA

View Full Version : Wow...Buyer beware !!

T206DK
03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1887-Old-Judge-Ewing-sideways-25_W0QQitemZ330417453767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Base ball?hash=item4cee6a3ac7

There back......how fitting in this new Ebay environment also. these cards were being sold on Ebay back in 2006 and 2007, I only wish I could search their archives to find the auctions. They were being sold as singles and in lots by flea marketers in Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. All the cards were glued to poster board or cardboard, and somewere even glued to pieces of wood and varnished over to make them look really special. I helped get them busted after buying one of their Cap Anson cards and a Seery card from them in the same lot. On the internet they looked real, but once you get them in your hand you easily tell they are fakes. I think these people were making them from printouts they got from the Library of Congress or something like that if I remember correctly. When I saw the cards being listed last night the I emailed the seller and said " wow, what a great group of old cards you have...when and where did you come across them" I received the usual vague patent respons telling me they bought them a few years ago at a sale and they were really cheap.

I doubt this is a seller from 3-4 years ago that suddenly found they had been ripped off and now want to try to do it to someone else. I think this is the same group or family that was selling fake T-cards and Goudeys and fake Goodwin & Co. issues from the 19th century. There feedback is so old you can't get much info, but it is clear the person has sold some type of cards in the past as well as other misc. items such as autographed balls, jerseys, "rare" cd's, and other stuff.

this is getting pathetic. Undoubtedly these lots of cards will sell to someone who thinks they are real and the seller will get away scott-free with who knows how much....there are some rare cards in her auctions !! This type of stuff is either a sign of the times or a sign that Ebay is really on the way out.

cincicards
03-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I think his description pretty much sums it up "They are being sold as reprints, copies, any word you wish to describe as NOT REAL".

dennis
03-25-2010, 07:40 AM
how much more honest can the seller get.....did you read the discription???

quinnsryche
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
You actually owe this guy an apology. Couldn't be any clearer that they are reprints as it's mentioned multiple times. Nothing wrong with selling reprints as long as that's how it's advertised.

T206DK
03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
the email I got was from a woman named Christine, it was not from a man. Sorry Tony, I don't feel I owe anyone an apology as I told her that it was a good thing she stated that they were not real and I did not rip in to the her. I was probing her to see if I could find out more info about the piece she took the cards from. Her listing uses language that is so similar to the guy I bought my fake N172's from in 2006-7. The lines about purchasing a lot some time ago and they appeared to be glued to a poster or album page were pretty much the same as the guy from Illinois/Michigan that I had dealings with. She will undoubtedly make a lot of money from her auctions...you guys know there are people looking at the cards and thinking they are real. they aren't really re-prints either as they were made specifically to fool people into thinking they were real.

brickyardkennedy
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
"I was sure when i bought them they were not real and i am selling them as such."

Sorry, I don't see the deception.

Tcards-Please
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1887-Old-Judge-Ewing-sideways-25_W0QQitemZ330417453767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Base ball?hash=item4cee6a3ac7

Undoubtedly these lots of cards will sell to someone who thinks they are real and the seller will get away scott-free with who knows how much....there are some rare cards in her auctions !! This type of stuff is either a sign of the times or a sign that Ebay is really on the way out.

I don't understand how the seller is getting away scott-free when they clearly are advertising this card as a reprint. If they sell to someone who thinks they are real, you can't fault the seller for that.

Not sure why this was even brought up?