PDA

View Full Version : Walking through the eBay minefield can prove dividends

tbob
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
So many pre-war collectors have given up on eBay that I wanted to check and see the prices realized and throw some pre-war cards on to test the waters. It is apparent to me that the reprint boys have taken over and the site looks more like things used to on Yahoo a few years ago. Reprints clearly labeled reprints and reprints which are fakes abound but if you have the patience and the knowledge to spot frauds, nice deals can be had. Prices look more like they were 6-7 years ago which is a boon for collectors. Several posters have evidenced their feelings that they have given up on ebay but I guess I'm in the minority that will still hang in there, put up with Paypal etc. and keep searching. :)

Tcards-Please
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm one of those that hasn't completely given up on ebay, but I do find myself spending more time weeding out the crap. You are right though that if you have the patience to put up with ebay, paypal and all the trash, you can find some pretty good deals.

Robextend
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I too have not given up on ebay for buying.

I have been getting great deals on low profile prewar cards to fill sets over the last few months.

deadballera
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
a -minefield- is the right term on this one. Getting through all of the muck is time consuming and if the word(s) is missing from the real cards, a potential good deal can be found.

Pup6913
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
There is nothing but alot of overpriced crap on in my area right now but every now and then there is a good bargin. I just wish that some of the guys here would get off some of their cards for me sometimes:D

mackmen
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I guess my sentiments about ebay reflect the fact that the site has become a bit of a distraction. I have been buying on the site for years and honestly lose focus, find myself trolling the lsitings for hours on end looking for something that might be a good deal or see if that rare card has been listed. I hve wasted a lot of time on that site and enjoyed doing so until recently. Now that the site has become more cluttered with reprints, fakes and scammers, I just can't reason supporting the site anymore. I have cut my spending dramatically over the last couple months. I really wish there was an alternative and will be curious to see how gsb does.