PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a ball in a shadow box?

Fuddjcal
03-23-2010, 12:33 AM
I always respect the opinions of the experienced collectors and dealers on this website. I am wondering when "mounting" a baseball in a shadow box, is it customary to completely ruin the ball by driving a nail in the back like this one? Thanks for your opinions.:)

henson1855
03-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I have a framer who makes my shadowboxes for me with no damage being done to the ball,he uses the two piece accrylic ball holder,and hides the seam so all you see is the ball floating in the holder ,then cuts a round hole in the matting so only half the ball is visable looks real nice,if you want to pm me,I can put you in touch with him.

perezfan
03-23-2010, 02:40 AM
I have one that sounds very similar to that one. To do it right without damaging the ball takes a little extra work and creativity. Many framers don't mind defacing a ball or photo for the sake of the display.

Here's my example...

mr2686
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Just my .02, but if you have a framer that damages your items for the sake of display, it's time to get another framer! Once you have a good one, even the best, it's important that you work with them...find out how they are going to accomplish the work, and tell them what is and is not acceptable.

LOUCARDFAN
03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
The framing company that I used for my shadow boxes would mount the ball by threading through the seams of the baseball where it wouldn't hurt the ball at all.

Fuddjcal
03-23-2010, 09:10 AM
thanks for the replies guys. I purchased this Mickey Mantle Ball from E-Bay and the gentleman didn't want to take it back. I especially like the part that is was appraised for $1000.00. I almost wet my pants laughing when I saw it. It was toned pretty bad too. I wanted to make sure I was being reasonable. Personally, I felt it was one of the worst cases of misrepresentation I've seen in 9 years there. Trying to hide the fact there was a huge hole with a nail broke off in it. I thought it was comical.:) After less than 24 hours, Pay pal did agree that the gentleman was a knothead:rolleyes:

Here's the listing just for fun. Thanks again for your comments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220568195620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Fuddjcal
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
BTW, I love the Foxxy Perez! That is something. Wouldn't that ball be great with a nail broke off in it though?:confused::D

perezfan
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Not so much...

But I'm glad you "nailed" the seller on that one. I am so tired of these Ebay sellers providing less than full disclosure. As if saying it was once in a shadowbox is synonomous with "it has a hole with a broken nail inside".

Gotta love those ebay "surprises"... and I know we've all had 'em! I think I smell a new thread brewing :rolleyes:

D. Broughman
03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
It is not a good idea to hang a baseball with a nail, scew or by the threads. After about a 100 years it misses up the shapes of the ball.:D

perezfan
03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
That one really does look like a lemon peel... especially at the top!

Still a great piece and in great shape for being so old. It's incredible to think that just the weight of the ball itself slowly changed its shape, due to 100 years of gravity!

Ladder7
03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
The Rawlings employee shot the horse in the wrong spot.