PDA

View Full Version : What cards on your desk..what's on your iPOD and whatcha reading?

familytoad
03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
It occurred to me that we all have at least old cardboard in common...what else do you suppose?

How about some fun posting your quick replies to these questions:

What cards are on your desk :

E96 McQuillan which I need to put with my others and
41PB Ott that I recently got from BST (thanks Stefan)

What's on your iPOD :
I Just listened to some REM and David Gray (Sail Away!)

Whatcha reading:

Thomas Boswell's "Heart of the Order", a compilation book of some of the great baseball writer's work. Very insightful!

Have fun!

HRBAKER
03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Right now I have a small stack of 1920's Exhibits, M101-6s and assorted 1930's premiums on my desk. I do not own an IPod but I have The Allman Brothers Live at The Fillmore East in the 8 track, make that CD player in my computer right now. Currently rereading Albert Goldman's, The Lives of John Lennon.

Jeff

Robextend
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
T3 Waddell that I need to send to SGC

What's on your iPOD :
Tom Petty, Nirvana, Beach Boys

Whatcha reading:
"Why My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot" by Mike Greenberg

yoyot1
03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
T206 Shaw (St. Louis) Sov 150, T212-2 Obak Delhi, Howard (LA), all Ebay buys that arrived Saturday

What's on your iPOD :
Not on my iPod, but WOXY.com is playing

Whatcha reading:
Who's got time to read?

Kawika
03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
1. Stack of cards received from SGC yesterday (note bubble wrap in waste basket)
2. WFUV Big Broadcast - Pre-WW2 jazz radio-internet simulcast that I listen to every Sunday, Fred Astaire crooning "The Way You Look Tonight" at present moment. Mo' bettah no can get.
3. Obituary section of yesterday's Honolulu Advertiser - making sure I'm not in there.

Episode 2 of The Pacific starts in, like, three minutes. I'm outta here.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/kawika/miscellany/huge/DSC01270.JPG

HRBAKER
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
David,
Looks like a Diamond Start Al Lopez on there as well.
Jeff

E93
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
1. No cards on the desk. Most recent purchase is already in the safety deposit box.
2. Grateful Dead - 7/15/71 Austin, TX (recent pick-up from Dead.net)
3. Resurrecting Candrakirti: Disputes in the Tibetan Creation of Prasangika (highly recommended - some of the best Indo-Tibetan intellectual history I have read in a while. :D )

JimB

familytoad
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Howdy there Jim B!
We just have to get together again for a coffe and a "show and tell".
I will share my observations and insight from John Kruk's "I Ain't no Athlete, Lady, I'm a Ballplayer" while you explain your book to me...I ain't worthy!

cliftons8
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
On the Desk: Approx 130 t206's to compare to Jim's scarcity of back order
In the CD Player: Crazyheart Soundtrack
Reading: Fifty-Nine in 84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn

Mike

Ease
03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
1. Billy Ripken 89 Fleer "FF" - lol, far from vintage but it's a great conversation piece, everybody remembers this card.
2. Devin the Dude
3. Memoirs of a Cavalier by Defoe - been reading all of Defoe's stuff lately, Moll Flanders is his best imo...

DixieBaseball
03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Brian - Nice change of pace post... You mentioned David Gray and guess what ? Sitting on my desk is 2 Tix to David Gray at the Ryman here in Nashville in a few weeks. (I am stoked!) Now onto your 3 questions :

T210-8 Molesworth which is getting packaged up and on its way to Jim Rivera

What's on your iPOD :
CCR - Have you ever seen the rain ? (Just listened to it most recently) and of course 2,327 other songs!

Whatcha reading:
False Economy - Alan Beattie
The Greatest Game Ever Played in Dixie (1908 Nashville Vols) - John Simpson

yawie99
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
1) An E103 Lajoie that I just picked up in a trade and T206s of Bresnahan and Willis that I just sold on eBay.

2) All kinds of stuff, but Stereolab, Bjork and The Arcade Fire were the last three groups to play during yesterday's workout shuffle.

3) Andrew Sullivan's "Daily Dish" blog on The Atlantic's website.

Jason Carota
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
1. Definitely not PreWWII - 2010 Topps Platinum Adam LaRoche.
2. Currently playing via iTunes: Mississippi Fred McDowell - "Write Me a Few of Your Lines."
3. The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

E93
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Howdy there Jim B!
We just have to get together again for a coffe and a "show and tell".
I will share my observations and insight from John Kruk's "I Ain't no Athlete, Lady, I'm a Ballplayer" while you explain your book to me...I ain't worthy!

Brian,
Another coffee and "show and tell" would be great. Let's figure it out.
Jim

Kawika
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
David,
Looks like a Diamond Star Al Lopez on there as well.
Jeff
DS Lopez #97 (Hi-#). Returned by SGC as "Counterfeit". Compared it to my Lopez #28 and, by golly, they were right.

Anthony S.
03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
1) An Old Judge Mike Dorgan. One of those N172's that's supposed to look like an action shot, ie he's sliding, but really looks much more like he's lying on his stomach because he threw his back out (think Larry Bird 1992 playoffs).

2) Don't have an IPod, but I have rigged a Victrola with ropes and duct tape so I can listen to Gregorian chants when I jog. (As I write this I have The Violent Femmes "Add it Up" on the headphones).

3) "The First Tycoon," a biography about Cornelius Vanderbilt. Good read. Just finished a book about Teapot Dome by Laton McCartney, also a good read.

ethicsprof
03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
desk: cards next in line for the framery Fine Pen Wagner;T200 Detroit;E93 Wiltse; E97 Bradley; W516-2-2 Rousch. Waiting for their partners from B&L:E96 Mowrey and 'E254-2' Camnitz

music: too 'dinosaury' for an ipod --- CD of Turandot with Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma

reading: Ethical issues in withdrawal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubes by ault; Losing Mum and Pup by C. Buckley

best,
barry

FUBAR
03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Cards on desk.. none, my wife would throw them out if i left them laying around... last ones i bought were UFC cards..... they would be out if possible

Ipod- right now i have Billboards #1 song since the beginning of the charts back inthe late 50's about 1200 songs i think, and then about 600 or so 80's hair metal songs (Ozzy, Motley Crue, stuff like that) New ludacris album
I belong to a music board like this one, get anything i ever wanted via download.

Reading- only thing i am reading right now is the classifieds cause i am looking for work, So if anyone buy Oilfield or hydraulic seals, let me know, i can help ya out! Otrher then that most of my reading is done online... Just read the Inside T206 centennial last night, done by one of the members with insight from Ted Z. Makes me feel really clueless about older cards.

ChrisStufflestreet
03-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Cards on my desk:

A stack of about 40 cards from 1956 Topps that are about to be sent to a collector, and a taller stack of 1955 Bowman cards that are meant for yet another collector.

Music on my iPod:

I don't have an iPod (and my 11-year old daughter now owns my old MP3 player but I don't have any idea how that happened). However, my laptop is filled with songs from the 1970s -- about 2000 of them right now -- that I am using to help me write my weekly blog posts.

What I'm reading:

"One-Night Stands With American History" by Richard Shenkman and Kurt Reiger. A great book filled with interesting tidbits about U.S. History from Colonial times until today.

mybuddyinc
03-22-2010, 01:22 AM
T226 Donahoe; Cope's Dastillon; Cohen Weenen The Dixe Kid (#17 Black back variation); D311 Burrell; Motoscope "Is my face red?" (hubba, hubba).

What's an ipod ?

Dyslexic, haven't read a book in 30 years.

drc
03-22-2010, 02:32 AM
1) None

2) Leftover Crack, Sergei Rachmaninoff, The Psychedelic Furs, Gene Loves Jezebel, Black Flag, Discharge, Frederic Handel

3) Metaphysics (Oxford University Press anthology), though also looked through the last Legendary Auction catalog today.

thekingofclout
03-22-2010, 04:01 AM
On my desk is this TYPE I photo that just arrived from Legendary...

A 62 song playlist of the Beatles.

And I just started a new release by Bill Jenkinson who authored the terrific book entitled... "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs"

This one is "Baseball's Ultimate Power". Ranking the All-Time Greatest Distance Home Run Hitters.

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 04:49 AM
Jason Carota- I once met Mississippi Fred McDowell and sat with him for a while. If you email me I can tell you the story.

1) No cards on my desk, although I have a few scattered large cents
2) Don't own an Ipod, but listen to Q104.3 Classic Rock nearly all day
3) Mint Condition, by Dave Jamieson. Everybody should read this.

oriolesbb6
03-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Set PSA graded 1938 bird paintings-trying to figure out why someone had the whole set graded

What's on your iPOD :
No Ipod, I listen to Sports talk 24/7

Whatcha reading:
This weeks edition of Antiques Weekly

Jacklitsch
03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
M101-2 Ty Cobb (Thanks Steve F.)
T206 Cobb Bat Off Uzit (I think it may be a reprint) ;)
1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey, Jr. SGC 98

What's on your iPOD :
Don't have one.

Whatcha reading:
Net54

Irwin Fletcher
03-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Cards on desk: Stack of 1935 Goudey 4-in-1 that I just received back from SGC.

iPod: Hold Steady, Animal Collective, Brian Wilson

Book: "The Silent Gondoliers" by William Goldman

ullmandds
03-22-2010, 07:19 AM
On my desk currently are: d359 Davis, 4 coupon type cards...3 of which are type I's...my t210 types, my cards 4 sale on the bst...and my new 1910 e-unc Jack Johnson from B & L.

On my Ipod is lots of reggae and the black eyed peas...going to the concert tonight...and I've had Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance on my nightstand for months!!!

Kotton King
03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
On my desk:
T216 Cy Young that I picked up via trade.

On my Ipod (which I'm sure I'm probably the only one listening to this stuff on this board):
E-Town Concrete, Nothingface, Lamb of God, DevilDriver, Cavalera Conspiracy, Dry Kill Logic, Five Finger Death Punch, Haste the Day, Mudvayne, and a few others on my work/gym playlist.

Whatcha Reading:
Why Net54 of course.....and looking at some chromatograms as the boss walks by.

milkit1
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
on my desk:

Earl Grace signed 1936 goudey reprint
Fred merkle P2
ozzie Smith signed 1979 topps
Egan/Mitchell T202
Joe Morrissey signed 1933 goudey

on my ipod:
THE ENTIRE BEACH BOYS CATALOG
and every episode of THE RICKY GERVAIS SHOW

What I am reading:
My name escapes me, the autobiography of Alec Guinness

Tyler
03-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Cards:
Was T206 Tinker, Evers and Chance until I sold them on the B/S/T a couple of weeks ago.

iPod:
Ween and Robert Earl Keen (going to see REK in Tampa this Thursday.)

Reading:
Getting ready to start "Among the Thugs" by Bill Buford. An american's tale of running with some English soccer hooligans in the 80's.

E93
03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
DRC,
Very interesting music and reading choices.
JimB

deadballera
03-22-2010, 10:08 AM
on my desk: None

IPOD- innings 1-6 of the Ken Burns Baseball, The Natural, Eight Men Out

Reading - Golden Age of Baseball - Conlon

CobbvLajoie1910
03-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Desk: 1958T Cal McLish (w/verrrrrry sharp corners), 1939 PB Lloyd Waner, & a few random pinbacks.

iPod: (of late) new Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Volta Sound, Spacemen 3's Out Of It Sessions, & a little Stereolab (nice Steve Y)

Bedside Table: Atlas Shrugged + 3 fantasy baseball mags (draft is on Sun!)

Ladder7
03-22-2010, 10:38 AM
An E254 Honus beater that I need to ship out to a buyer

Podcast; NPR Car Talk with the Magliozzi Brothers

Paradise Alley, I've been chipping away at for months.

yawie99
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
iPod: (of late) new Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Volta Sound, Spacemen 3's Out Of It Sessions, & a little Stereolab (nice Steve Y)

Likewise on BJM. I trust you've seen "Dig!" If not, go do so immediately.

paulcarek
03-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Desk:

1934 Goudey Foxx, which I can't stop looking at. (Thanks again, Quan.)

iPod:

Grateful Dead at Englishtown, NJ, 9/3/77. Got me through a 15-mile run yesterday.

Books:

"The Great Gatsby," by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Just finished George Vecsey's highly enjoyable "Baseball."

CobbvLajoie1910
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Steve.

I have seen "Dig"...more than once.

I have tipped a few back with Dr. Newcombe...on a couple of occasions.
He really is a sweetheart of a guy.

Which 'Lab record is your go-to?

Bosox Blair
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Desk: Some pre-War randoms to be sent to SGC (one March special is 10 pre-1948 cards under $250 value apiece for $70...regular fee for this is $100)

Ipod: Band of Heathens, Parlor Mob, Alberta Cross

Books: Two bios - Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train and Just a Big Kid (Rube Waddell)

Cheers,
Blair

mart8081
03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Desk - roughly 20 t206s, a George Brett Prime Cuts patch/bat card, two Felix Hernandez patch cards

Ipod - Peter, Bjorn and John, AIC, Rammstein, Sepultura, Mad Season, Django Reinhardt, Billie Holliday, Interpol, Belle & Sebastian and Leftfield (like my musical tastes)

Books - ISO14001-Environmental Systems Handbook, The EU's Eco Management and Audit Scheme (both for my Masters), The Best American Sports Writing 2009

CardTarget
03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Two Ann Rynd choices and some F. Scott Fitzgerald? A well read group here!

I actually just ordered Altas Shrugged from half.com because I had never read an Rynd before. Looking forward to it. I went to Borders the other day to get it and they wanted $28 for the paperback... yikes. So half.com for $5 delivered was a better option.

Last book I finished was "What the dog saw" by Malcolm Gladwell and my iPod is likely playing one of my recent running mixes that I'm making for a 10k next week. If anyone has any good "running" songs I'd like to hear it!

Robextend
03-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Mad Season

Wow, they are on mine too, I didn't think anyone else recognized them.

Irwin Fletcher
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Is that the Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains hybrid?

Robextend
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Yea, I thought that album they did back in 1995 was awesome.

FUBAR
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
wasnt that Temple of the Dog?

Robextend
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
wasnt that Temple of the Dog?

I think Temple of the Dog was Pearl Jam/Soundgarden and that was around 1991. I also have that on my IPOD along with 1500+ other songs.

mart8081
03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow, they are on mine too, I didn't think anyone else recognized them.

Glad there are other fans out there! I really like the album - members from AIC, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees. Staley's voice is just incredible.

Bicem
03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Cards: a rppc of a minor league team with a guy that kinda looks like Joe Jackson and a George Washington Rotograph. Ipod: Guns N' Roses entire collection. Reading: a Fantasy Baseball magazine (until that book that Barry suggested arrives).

JasonL
03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, I can't always find the desk, so I try not to keep any cards on it.

The iPod - listening to alot of Lewis Black comedy albums lately...they help me cope. There are portions of his Carnegie Hall performance that are utterly brilliant in terms of his storytelling pace and tone...

The books...well, I have one teed up for vacation: I'm pretty excited about finally getting around to Kinsella's Iowa Baseball Confederacy piece. Then I will be ordering that one that just recently discussed on the board by Barry, I think it was?...

E93
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Desk:

iPod:

Grateful Dead at Englishtown, NJ, 9/3/77. Got me through a 15-mile run yesterday.

"

A classic, indeed! It is hard to go too wrong with '77 Dead!
JimB

FUBAR
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Rob

didnt Mother Love Bone have something to do with Pearl Jam?? If i remember my music from the early 90's.....

Irwin Fletcher
03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I think Jeff Ament (the bassist) and maybe another guy from Pearl Jam were originally in Mother Love Bone.

Robextend
03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Rob

didnt Mother Love Bone have something to do with Pearl Jam?? If i remember my music from the early 90's.....

The totally did, and I believe Chris Cornell from Soundgarden sang on a couple songs as well.

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Jim B- when it comes to the Dead, I'm more into the 1967-70 era. I think they sounded best when Tom Constanten played with them (albeit for only a year and a half).

toppcat
03-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Cards-(well, posters): An OPC CFL poster, an OPC baseball pinup and an A&BC Footballer pin up, all from around 1970-I need some hard plastics so they are sitting in my inbox until I get some.

Music on the iPod: Leatherface's new album "The Stormy Petrel" (Northern England's post-hardcore masters are the best, son)

Book: Kurt Vonnegut-"Look at the Birdie": Unpublished Short Fiction

E93
03-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Jim B- when it comes to the Dead, I'm more into the 1967-70 era. I think they sounded best when Tom Constanten played with them (albeit for only a year and a half).

I like to think of '68-69 as "primal Dead". It is great stuff! 1970 is one of my favorite years. There were quite a few acoustic sets and they were transitioning from the heavy psychedelia of '69 into the country/rock/jam band. The fusion of styles is amazing.
JimB

E93
03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Barry,
Did you happen to see any of the Filmore East shows from that era?
JimB

Bosox Blair
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty excited about finally getting around to Kinsella's Iowa Baseball Confederacy piece.

An excellent and generally overlooked novel - one of my faves!

Cheers,
Blair

Brian Weisner
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn.... You guys are old....

Be well Brian

wolfdogg
03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
On my desk:
T216 Cy Young that I picked up via trade.

On my Ipod (which I'm sure I'm probably the only one listening to this stuff on this board):
E-Town Concrete, Nothingface, Lamb of God, DevilDriver, Cavalera Conspiracy, Dry Kill Logic, Five Finger Death Punch, Haste the Day, Mudvayne, and a few others on my work/gym playlist.

Whatcha Reading:
Why Net54 of course.....and looking at some chromatograms as the boss walks by.

No cards on desk

Ipod?????....what is that?

Eric...you're not alone.....CDs in truck include----Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Hatebreed, Despised Icon and a few others...

Barry----I have Grateful Deads 1st album....vinyl.... on Mono...the rarer copy.....

Book??.....can't read....:D

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Jim- "Mountains of the Moon" is a wonderful acoustic piece. You can find Jerry playing it on youtube on an episode of Playboy After Dark.

Yes, I went to the Fillmore East pretty regularly, at least ten times I would think. But never saw the Dead there. I did see them at the Boston Tea Party in November 1969.

Best groups I saw at the Fillmore: The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Mothers of Invention, Canned Heat, Jethro Tull...and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

jerseygary
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Cards on desk: A stack of low grade '33 Goudeys

Music on ipod: Chet Baker Quartet live 1956

Books on desk: International League Year By Year Statistics 1884-1953

My Baseball Card project:
www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

frankb22
03-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Cards on Desk:
-D322 TipTop Bread Forbes Field card
-Autographed T206 Portrait Rube Marquard
Both in SGC holders and sitting in stand-up frames.

IPod: Billy Joel, Metallica, Aerosmith. Also some
Baseball History Podcasts narrated by Bob Wright
I found available on iTunes.

Reading: Just published book called "Repeat Until Rich".
Next will be "Mint Condition" which I just ordered from Amazon
after reading about it here on N54.

wolterse
03-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Desk - N2 indian chiefs

iPod - wolfgang amadeus Phoenix, Kenna, kooks

book - A false spring; pat Jordan

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Daryle- I just checked my copy of "San Francisco's Grateful Dead" but it's in stereo.:( Mono is rarer, no doubt.

teetwoohsix
03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
On the desk:nothing worth mentioning....

Music:Fear Factory,NOFX,Angry Samoans,RKL,Toxic Holocaust,Johnny Cash,Social Distortion,Lamb of God(yup,me too),Behemoth,Iron Maiden(Piece of Mind)........

Reading currently:"Roar Of The Crowd" by James Corbett

Kawika
03-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Toxic Holocaust! :eek:, Cradle of Filth!! :eek:, Five Finger Death Punch!!! :eek:
If you young dudes are trying to spook out us senior citizens . . it's working.

teetwoohsix
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry David.......I did throw Johnny Cash in there though........;)

Kawika
03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
No worries, Clayton. My parents thought that Mick Jagger was the anti-Christ. Someday your grandkids will have tattoos on their livers and will roll their pierced eyeballs at whatever the hell it is y'all play in your boomcars today. Plus ça change . .

teetwoohsix
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I guess I should add that music is a mood thing for me.......I also love classic rock (Thin Lizzy,Mountain,Hendrix,Stones),,as well as Bluegrass & Classic Country,,,,,Silversun Pickups,,,The Cars,,,and even though I never considered myself a "Deadhead",I've been to about six Dead shows back in the day(space is something else,in the right state of mind:cool:)

Robextend
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Saw Silversun Pickups with Muse a couple weeks ago, one of the best shows I ever seen.

teetwoohsix
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
They (Silversun) rip,,,,,,I'd love to see them!!Chick bass players are way cool too (remember White Zombie :D).......I just think they are an awesome band-they have a great vibe.

doug.goodman
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't have a desk, but I have 5 cards pinned to a book shelf - Mark Fidrych, Brien Taylor (who wishes he had, at least, been Mark Fidrych), Rich Rowland, Dock Ellis and a fake Ted Williams card.

Today I bounced between listening to "The Angels" (an Australian rock band who's first album "Face To Face" is one of the best rock albums ever released), Dr. Hook and Danko Jones (another fantastic band, this one from Toronto, who not enough people have heard of).

I just finished reading "The Original Curse" by Sean Deveney, and just started "A Ball Player's Career" by Cap Anson.

Robextend
03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
They (Silversun) rip,,,,,,I'd love to see them!!Chick bass players are way cool too (remember White Zombie :D).......I just think they are an awesome band-they have a great vibe.

Yup, I agree. My brother was shocked when he saw that the lead singer was a dude. The latest album turned me on to them...

E93
03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Jim- "Mountains of the Moon" is a wonderful acoustic piece. You can find Jerry playing it on youtube on an episode of Playboy After Dark.

Yes, I went to the Fillmore East pretty regularly, at least ten times I would think. But never saw the Dead there. I did see them at the Boston Tea Party in November 1969.

Best groups I saw at the Fillmore: The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Mothers of Invention, Canned Heat, Jethro Tull...and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Wow, I wish I had seen some of those shows. I can only imagine.
JimB

E93
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Damn.... You guys are old....

Be well Brian

Hi Brian,
If this is referring to Barry and my conversation about the Grateful Dead shows from 1967-70, I am actually not that old. I just have an extensive collection of tapes of their concerts. In the years that I took a hiatus from card collecting, I took up taping and collecting Grateful Dead shows.
JimB

ethicsprof
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
any professor of Buddhist studies is very,very old and most wise.

all the best,
barry

FUBAR
03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Doug

you will be happy to know i have seen Danko Jones in concert twice..... had a blast both times!

drc
03-23-2010, 01:00 AM
All these types of threads do is reinforce in my mind what great taste I have how much lacking are the rest. I'm convinced some of you were raised by wolves-- or in Newark.

Of course I'm joking. I've never even been to Newark.

yawie99
03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
I have tipped a few back with Dr. Newcombe...on a couple of occasions.
He really is a sweetheart of a guy.

Which 'Lab record is your go-to?

Is that right? On one hand, I wouldn't have guessed that based on his antics the one time I saw them here in St. Louis, but on the other, I suspect there's a normal human under the rock star facade.

Hmmm, my favorite Stereolab album varies a bit, but Emperor Tomato Ketchup probably wears the crown most often. Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements is another fave, thanks in large part to the epic "Jenny Ondioline."

Kotton King
03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Eric...you're not alone.....CDs in truck include----Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Hatebreed, Despised Icon and a few others...

Daryle and Clayton....I'm glad I'm not alone. I was beginning to wonder. I also have a bunch of Hatebreed and Fear Factory on my Ipod.

..........AND looking through my Ipod, not everything is hardcore/death metal. I do have some classics like Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica (only the "And Justice for All Album", Led Zeppelin, and The Who. I also have some more common late 90's stuff like Alice in Chains and some Rage Against the Machine.

J.McMurry
03-23-2010, 06:34 AM
1. piles of papers

2. Beatles,Zepplin,Who,Kiss,Hank jr.Rage against the machine,Stones,Manfred mann,Prince,Yardbirds,Howlin wolf,Canned heat,John lee hooker,Devo,B52's,John lennon, Wall of voodoo,Johnny cash, Doors, George thorogood,Genesis,
The offspring, The Derailers, Skynryd,REM,Kinks,journey,kenny chesney,alan jackson,oasis,don henley, eagles,alice cooper,jefferson airplane,bryan adams,
social distortion,yes,chuck berry,bill haley, elvis,beach boys,the records,jackson brown,merle haggard,smashing pumpkins,cage the elephant,the ramones,

THANK GOD FOR THE SHUFFLE BUTTON !

3. RUANAIDH-The Story of Art Rooney and his Clan -Art RooneyJr.

Doug
03-23-2010, 09:39 AM
What cards are on my desk?:
None. I like to keep a clean desk.

Whats on my IPod?:
I don't have one. I prefer channel surfing on my Sirius satellite radio.

What am I reading?:
Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover". Oddly there's nothing in there about budgeting for baseball cards. :confused:

drdduet
03-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Cardtarget--I would recommend The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand over Atlas Shrugged--especially if you haven't read her before...just MHO.

On my desk I have a lot of 97 newly acquired T206's, a Clint Frank certified auto card, and large group of nonsport n and t cards....

I'm listening to classical music...

I'm currently reading "Our Daily Meds".

E93
03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
any professor of Buddhist studies is very,very old and most wise.

all the best,
barry

Well my students are starting to think of me as old anyway. When one told me last year that I reminder her of her father, I nearly fell of my seat. Ahhh, the impermanence of life...
JimB

rhettyeakley
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
What cards are on my desk?:
-A mountain of 1911 Zeenuts, my Zeenut dupes I have been trying to move, and other odds n ends
-also a big group of nonsports cards (N & T's) that I still am wading through, I gotta admit those actresses always make me think of Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls

Whats on my IPod?:
I don't have one. but I have recently been listening to Ozzy, Toadies, Pearl Jam, STP, Social D, GnR, and... Yo Gabba Gabba! (the last one wasn't my choice!)

What am I reading?:
Basically anything I can get my hands on that has nothing to do with Dentistry!

JasonL
03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
That of a Dentist, sitting at his desk in his scrubs and facemask, listening to alternating tracks of GnR and YoGabba Gabba, while thumbing through cards of Pinup girls while wearing light blue rubber gloves, and yelling to his patient in the other room, "Spit!"

disturbing...:D

barrysloate
03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Jim- for me one of the first signs I knew I was getting older was when, a number of years ago, I was shopping and the clerk behind the counter said "what can I get for you, sir?" The word "sir" was the dividing line. That is when I realized to a kid in his twenties I looked like an old man. Now it's been so long I am used to it.

Robextend
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Rhett - Absolutely love the Toadies...their "Rubberneck" album is one of my all-time favs!!

doug.goodman
03-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I must admit to being slightly amused at how much metal is listened to by this board. I wonder how many of you guys I crossed paths with when I was touring with Slayer or Cannibal Corpse or DRI or Yngwie or ... ? Hahahaha.

Doug

danc
03-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Four raw VG T206 commons

What's on your iPOD :
The Breeders on heavy rotation, as well as Paramore's "Riot".

Whatcha reading:
"Paradise" by Donald Barthelme. I get on Barthelme kicks, as well as Raymond Carver.

Props for someone listening to Howlin' Wolf and people reading some Rand.

DanC

Kotton King
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I must admit to being slightly amused at how much metal is listened to by this board. I wonder how many of you guys I crossed paths with when I was touring with Slayer or Cannibal Corpse or DRI or Yngwie or ... ? Hahahaha.

Doug

Doug......I take it you are the Doug Goodman who was Slayer's original tour manager? Nice to meet you. Great choice of a band to be a tour manager for. You must have some great stories!

Robextend
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I second Eric's comments. I saw Slayer with Pantera almost a decade ago at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island and they totally kicked ass. Nice to meet you...

Rob

Kotton King
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
I saw Slayer with Pantera almost a decade ago at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island and they totally kicked ass. Nice to meet you...

Rob

I saw Slayer almost a decade ago as well. It was July 29th, 2000 at The Rave in Milwaukee, WI. They headlined for the "Tattoo the Earth Tour". Other notable metal bands at that show: Sepultura, Hed P.E., Hatebreed, Downset, Nothingface, Slipknot, Sevendust, Six Feet Under, etc.

doug.goodman
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Apologies for the slight hijack of this thread, but yep that's me. My first tour was in the lead singer's camaro. Not as comfortable as the charter jet I used with my current band on our last Australian tour, but it was still lots of fun.

For all the Deadheads who are sick of the metal posts, for me it's been a long strange trip...

I suggest that anymore Doug / Slayer talk move to email doug.goodman@earthlink.net

Back to baseball...

ChiefBenderForever
03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't have a desk, don't have an ipod, just been reading different chapters of Huckleberry Finn to my kids at night to get them to sleep. However I have seen the Dead seven times.

uffda51
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
iPod-Jacqui Naylor, Eric Whitcare, Aaron Copland, Morten Lauridsen.
Reading - Robert Parker - Spenser novels.

On my desk - The Pach Bros. cabinet of Dudley Dean I won in the B&L auction. Dean was a pretty interesting guy. Harvard quarterback. One of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. A Lt. Colonel in the Air Force in WW II. A newspaper columnist. A career in mining and lumber.

http://photos.imageevent.com/uffda51/19thcenturycabinetcards/websize/Item_6460_1.jpg

rc4157
03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
On my desk: 2 Reds W571-1's, haven't placed them in an album yet and a Vander Meer auto/photo

Ipod: Just got an Ipod at Christmas, so far I have Beatles, Clapton, CS&N, Eagles, EL&P etc.... for my listening enjoyment.

Reading: Recently finished "World Without End" by Ken Follett

RC

drc
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Two of my all time favorite hard core punk bands were Discharge (British) and Black Flag (American). When a member of the British band was asked why they picked Discharge as band's name, he said "Because it was obnoxious" .... When the leader of Black Flag was asked why they picked that name, he said it was because of the simultaneous associations with anarchy and bug spray ... There's a bit of beauty in those answers.

Another great hardcore band was named Minor Threat, and that name was just being being playful. They'd play their supersonic explosions of sound with the implicit or explicit knowledge, "Don't be unduly scared of us. We're just a Minor Threat." In fact one of their songs was "We're just a Minor Threat."

I'm sure the bands themselves see the ludicrousness and comedy in their names as well as anyone else.

E93
03-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I was always partial to L.A. punk bands. X is by far my favorite. Black Flag, The Germs, Social Distortion, etc. were all good. A bit up the road, the Dead Kennedys did not suck.
JimB

Jacklitsch
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=rhettyeakley;792555]What cards are on my desk?:
-A mountain of 1911 Zeenuts...
-QUOTE]

Looking for Bernard and Fullerton. Are they in the stack?

Brian Van Horn
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
71 cards including over 40 E126s, Sport Kings, E121s and various hockey cards from the 1920s.

No iPod.

Reading Net54 posts. I'm not much for reading despite previously being a teaching assistant for a year in the English Department at West Virginia University.

drc
03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Interestingly, the three geographical centers during the formative years of hardcore punk were California and England (neither surprising) and Washington D.C. (surprising).

toppcat
03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Interestingly, the three geographical centers during the formative years of hardcore punk were California and England (neither surprising) and Washington D.C. (surprising).

I think the connection is bored suburban kids actually. I just read a history of Black Flag and have read a bunch of DC Hardcore books and that really seems to have fueled a lot of it. There was a difference in subtext though though as it was drug fueled in LA and not nearly as much in DC. Outside the US, there was a big scene a little later too in Newcastle/Sunderland in the UK that seems to have had the same bored kid kindling and that one was fueled by booze. This is not the original 76 wave but late 80's.

I love books about those old punk bands-it was like they were living on the last frontier they way they had to gig and tour. I didn't get into punk until my metal phase passed and I missed the first wave or two. There's still a dozen or so bands I really like from the punk days, many of which are still around.

MooseDog
03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
1) Small group of pre-war cards I'm trying to decide whether to send to PSA or sell raw.

2) Kind of into the Beatles at the moment.

3) I usually read multiple books at once. Currently in the john - Legacy of Ashes, a History of the CIA by Tim Weiner; on the nightstand A History of God by Karen Armstrong; and in my backpack is Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

drc
03-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree. It's largely white suburban juvenile delinquent music. In fact, much of Black Flag's early music lyrics are about parties and going to the liquor store. A Black Flag lyric is "Does anyone have the key to the liquor cabinet?" .... Discharge is overtly political, with their songs being protest songs, but Black Flag is social and personal-- around your neighborhood type stuff.

slidekellyslide
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Two of my all time favorite hard core punk bands were Discharge (British) and Black Flag (American). When a member of the British band was asked why they picked Discharge as band's name, he said "Because it was obnoxious" .... When the leader of Black Flag was asked why they picked that name, he said it was because of the simultaneous associations with anarchy and bug spray ... There's a bit of beauty in those answers.

Another great hardcore band was named Minor Threat, and that name was just being being playful. They'd play their supersonic explosions of sound with the implicit or explicit knowledge, "Don't be unduly scared of us. We're just a Minor Threat." In fact one of their songs was "We're just a Minor Threat."

I'm sure the bands themselves see the ludicrousness and comedy in their names as well as anyone else.

Minor Threat was a great DC punk band, but my favorite was Bad Brains

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDz4_AwfeaI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDz4_AwfeaI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sox1903wschamp
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Desk: About 35 non-Red Sox M116's that I need to sell one of these days and a Nice 38 Goudey Jimmy Foxx that I just purchased.

Ipod: Pre 1980 Speedwagon. This includes the double live "you get what you play for" album circa 1977. Got me through a 50 mile bike ride Sunday as I started my training for the RAGBRAI since the snow has lifted here in MN.

Book: Just finished "Patriot Reign" by Michael Holley for the 2nd time. Up next: "Mint Condition" once it arrives.

drc
03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Most probably don't know (and many likely don't care) that one of Black Flag's founding members and original bassist is auctioning off his personal collection on eBay. Has included rare early un-issued test records, the original metal stamp used to make an BF album (like the printing press for cards) and more. He was also the co-owner of the indie label SST, so has scarce insider stuff from other bands like Husker Du, The Descendants and Sonic Youth ... The un-issued test-album for BF's 1978 second EP went for over $500, and the metal stamp I think was around $400 ... The interesting thing is as the former band member and label owner, he says how many of each item were made.

Vol
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey! My first post on this great message board. I am so glad I found some folks like myself who go after those old pieces of cardboard. I have got along way to go with my collection, and am glad to have all of you to help guide my way.

No cards on my desk. Just an autograph pic of Don Larsen's perfect game.

Listening to Buddy Holly, Lightnin Hopkins, and Townes Van Zandt today, with a twist of Ol Blue Eyes.

Reading "The Road."

teetwoohsix
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Welcome Vol..

Bad Brains was an amazing band....their song "The Big Take Over" is one of the best old punk songs......Black Flag is awesome,,,"My War" and "Six Pack" :D,,,great stuff,,,,,been to many punk shows back in the day-how about some intellectual punk rock-Bad Religion? :D

I could talk music for days,it's nice to see everyone's interest in things.Thanks to the moderators & Leon for letting this great OT topic go on!!

Clayton

Robextend
03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
I absolutely love Buddy Holly...got all his songs!!

"Big Take Over" is one of my fav songs of that genre...

It is really cool to see that some of us have a lot more in common then just our hobby.

Rob

toppcat
03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Most probably don't know (and many likely don't care) that one of Black Flag's founding members and original bassist is auctioning off his personal collection on eBay. Has included rare early un-issued test records, the original metal stamp used to make an BF album (like the printing press for cards) and more. He was also the co-owner of the indie label SST, so has scarce insider stuff from other bands like Husker Du, The Descendants and Sonic Youth ... The un-issued test-album for BF's 1978 second EP went for over $500, and the metal stamp I think was around $400 ... The interesting thing is as the former band member and label owner, he says how many of each item were made.

Chuck Dukowski!

wolfdogg
03-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Doug

I saw Cannibal Corpse in '92 (Tomb of the Mutilated Tour), '94 (The Bleeding Tour) and '96 (The Vile Tour) at The Masquerade in Atlanta and DRI (Definition Tour) in I think '92 with Exodus, ProPain and Body Count at The Masquerade also. Slayer in '91 (Clash of Titans Tour with Anthrax and Megadeth) at The Omni in Atlanta. Were you on those tours?...............

Rickyy
03-25-2010, 12:32 AM
26-29 PC Back Jimmy Foxx card I finally acquired... Nick Lowe - "Cruel to be Kind" One of the best pop songs ever... and IRS tax code..borrring..but looking up something for work...:p

martin neal
03-25-2010, 05:02 AM
It's a mess, but there are a dozen or so T210s, A Tyreke Evans auto, a Nice Lajoie throwing and a bunch of other worthless modern stuff.

No Ipod

Just finished Patrick O'Brian's series of books about Jack Aubrey of Master and Commander fame. Going through a struggling start to History of Scotland

toppcat
03-25-2010, 05:46 AM
I saw Cannibal Corpse in '92 (Tomb of the Mutilated Tour), '94 (The Bleeding Tour) and '96 (The Vile Tour) at The Masquerade in Atlanta and DRI (Definition Tour) in I think '92 with Exodus, ProPain and Body Count at The Masquerade also. Slayer in '91 (Clash of Titans Tour with Anthrax and Megadeth) at The Omni in Atlanta. Were you on those tours?...............

You guys are young, I saw Slayer's forst tour in (I think) '84 and Metallica on the Kill 'Em All Tour. Get off my lawn!

toppcat
03-25-2010, 05:48 AM
how about some intellectual punk rock-Bad Religion? :D

Clayton

My favorite band of all and have been for a long time-they are unbelievable and on their 30th Anniversary Tour as we speak. Free live album from it coming real soon.

CobbvLajoie1910
03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
....i think what this thread shows is: I'd love to have a beer with you guys.

Anytime SST records & Nap Lajoie can be found in the same thread....Wow.

Steve. ETK is Stereolab's best. Very good choice, my friend.

smokeyjoewood
03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Desk: 207 Ellis, 206 Green Cobb, 412 Lincoln, 210 Manion

Ipod: Blood on the Tracks, Blueprint 3, Sublime-40oz to Freedom

Books: The Fourth Horseman, The Road to Bristoe Station, Blackball Stars

cfc1909
03-25-2010, 08:37 AM
desk- a stack of t206 Cycles that I am adding to my Image Event site

ipod-Zeppelin-A to Z and alot of other classic rock-Savoy Brown-The Who-Elvis and so on

Reading-net 54-Hank Thomas-book on Walter Johnsonn

quinnsryche
03-25-2010, 08:39 AM
IPOD: Don't own one.

Desk: Don't own one.

Book: Deadball Stars of the American League

T2069bk
03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Desk- Some Gabby Hartnett cards I am figuring out how to display with a Cubs Scorecard

IPOD - Mr Bungle, Primus, The Clash, Parliment, Lynrd Skynrd and Hall & Oates

Book - Reagans War

Orioles1954
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Cards: T212-2 Obak Castleton, T212-3 Castleton

IPOD: Morrissey, Smiths, Belle & Sebastian, Ride, and all sorts of other brit-pop

Reading: The Joseph Smith Papers Volume 1, The Book of Mormon

nebboy
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Cards on desk:
67T Mantle, some T205s

Music on ipod:
Don't listen to music much - last was a Jack Johnson CD

Books on desk: Always got a few going
*The Snowball - Warren Buffett and the Business of Life - Alice Schroeder
*The passion of Ayn Rand - A Bio by Barbara Brranden
(I see some Ayn Rand readers out there)
*Yankee Genius - A Bio of Rodger W.Babson - Earl L. Smith