PDA

View Full Version : Sports Collectors Digest, What a sad magazine that is

keithsky
03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I used to subscribe to SCD for 20 years and cancelled them a couple years ago because they supported Coach's Corner for years but that's another story. I picked up a free issue at the Chicago Suntimes show. What a joke. It was about 35 pages and most of them ads. I remember years ago almost 100 pages. I know the internet has caused lose of subscribers but I personally know of about 8 people dropped them like a lead balloon because of C.C. It almost looks like a flyer you get in the mail it's so small. Once a great hobby publication and fun to read it is now not worth the paper it's printed on. Just my opinion.

Jay Wolt
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I remember years ago almost 100 pages
Maybe I'm showing my age but in the late 80's it was 2 sections and about 200 pages.
And yes, I still subscribe to this day

keithsky
03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Well C.C. wasn't the only reason I cancelled mostly I should have said was because they were still charging a subscription rate the same for 35 pages as was for 100 pages. Why pay for a third of the magazine for the same price. I did read that they were going back to a 8x10 or so magazine format. I guess to make it look like your getting more for your money. Now it will look like 50 or 60 pages. All in the marketing

Peter_Spaeth
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Ah yes, memories of the Mint offerings of Brigandi, Steve Timmons, When it Was a Card (oops I mean WIWAG) and others.

keithsky
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Yea Jay I think it was almost 200 pages come to think of it. How great was that. Took all week to read it.

barrysloate
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Actually at its peak around 1990 it was often over 400 pages.

Brian Van Horn
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I still have back issues from the early and mid-1990s.

HRBAKER
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I still have back issues from the early and mid-1990s.

Brian,
I am with you. For sme odd reason I saved every issue from my subscription
from about mid-'85 through June of 2007.

Jeff

Rich Klein
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
However; for some reason I love all the auction catalogs. I only need a few to feel complete in what I want to own.

Those are the "Wolfers (sic)" auctions run by the guy in San Fransisco (Garrett I think was his last name, who later completed suicide) and the Copeland auction catalog. I could also use a Topps auction catalog from 89 and mebbe a few others.

My good friend Bobby Plapinger; sent me a bunch recently for postage. Those have been fun to read and go through :)

Rich

slidekellyslide
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Even back in the day the SCD may have been 400 pages, but 300 of those were dealer listings for 1987 Mike Aldrete rookie cards for 50 cents each. It's not as if the SCD was ever filled with advertisements for prewar cards.

Brian Van Horn
03-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Dan,

It wasn't filled with advertisements for Pre-WWII, but every issue had pages that did have Pre-WWII and I used to make at least two pickups every week during its prime. I used to love seeing what David Festberg, Kevin Savage (who still advertises in the SCD) and Pat Quinn had to offer.

slidekellyslide
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
True enough, but ebay even today offers more than any single issue of SCD ever did. I just think some of the "olden days" chats on here get a little too romantic. SCD used to be great, shows used to be great, but if it weren't for ebay my collection wouldn't be 1/10th of what it is today. Coach's Corner didn't kill SCD, ebay and the internet did...Coach's Corner just kicked the corpse.

williamcohon
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
All right, but what is "Coach's Corner," and why is it so objectionable?

HRBAKER
03-21-2010, 11:00 PM
True enough, but ebay even today offers more than any single issue of SCD ever did. I just think some of the "olden days" chats on here get a little too romantic. SCD used to be great, shows used to be great, but if it weren't for ebay my collection wouldn't be 1/10th of what it is today. Coach's Corner didn't kill SCD, ebay and the internet did...Coach's Corner just kicked the corpse.

Maybe, but Coaches Corner kept it from going out nobly.

slidekellyslide
03-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Maybe, but Coaches Corner kept it from going out nobly.

I don't deny that...The association between CC and some of the writers/editors of the SCD was slimy and can't ever be taken back. I hold out hope that the principals of CC and the criminal behavior of the "authenticators" they use will some day be brought to justice.

Vintagedegu
03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
-

fkw
03-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Internet has killed many magazines and especially newspaper sales IMO

same with shows, eBay has killed shows and card shops too. Why sell to a 50 miles radius when you can sell to the world.

Its a new world now! You can live offgrid on a volcano on a 14 mile muddy road without a mailbox (or address), 2000 miles from the nearest show and still collect/talk cards every day with people all over the world :).

PS
I loved those old SCD double issues with extra auctions supplements (remember Teletrade). It was so big.... They had to make 2 separate issues wrapped in plastic back then. And werent they weekly back then too??
I used to take out tiny ads in the back and that was the only way I sold stuff back then. Wow I feel old

Jewish-collector
03-22-2010, 06:14 AM
I can't figure out how the hell SCD is still around.