PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Card Book Just Published

barrysloate
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Today I received a new book about the history of baseball card collecting by a talented young author named Dave Jamieson. It's titled "Mint Condition" and was published by Atlantic Monthly Press. It came in today's mail and I am already 90 pages into it. It's beautifully written, well researched, and insightful. And I don't think I've even hit the best parts yet.

Dave called me a year or two ago and we had a few phone interviews about the hobby. It kind of slipped my mind but he contacted me a couple of weeks ago to say the book was out. He kindly sent me a gratis copy.

The early sections deal with the history of the tobacco wars in the late 1880's and early 1900's; there is an excellent chapter on Jefferson Burdick that is much more thorough than anything I've read before; there's a humorous and bittersweet profile of Mike Gidwitz; and later chapters look like they will cover the good and the bad of the hobby, and how collecting baseball cards has become an obsession.

Many hobby notables are quoted in the early sections, including Rob Lifson and Bill Mastro, and I even saw Bruce Dorskind and David Cycleback cited (maybe I'm in there too, but I haven't finished it).

Anyway, this has the look of a must read book. I'll add to this thread when I finish it.

teetwoohsix
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks Barry-it's always nice to know about a great new book,especially about the hobby!!I appreciate the heads up!!

Sincerely,Clayton

magic1313
03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Thought I would help you out with a link to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mint-Condition-Baseball-American-Obsession/dp/0802119395

B O'Brien
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I just order that one and did the preorder for the T206 book. I went ahead and stuck them in the wife's cart on Amazon!
Thanks,
Bob

ethicsprof
03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
i just ordered it,too, Barry!!
your recommendation carries alot of weight!!
i also went ahead and pre-ordered the T206 book which i'd like you to review,too!

best,
barry

drc
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
If I'm cited, I'll buy 50 copies. If the citation is positive, 200.

I hope it doesn't detail my obsession with Jean Shrimpton. That was supposed to be off the record.

barrysloate
03-20-2010, 05:04 AM
You're in there David...go for it!

Bicem
03-20-2010, 09:29 AM
just ordered one, thanks for the heads up.

Kawika
03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Did a little googling around and found this article about BB cards by Jamieson at Slate http://www.slate.com/id/2224864/ . Guy looks to be an entertaining writer. Love the Über-nerd self-reference. Plus Crazy '08 author Cait Murphy's dust jacket blurb counts for something (that was one helluva book) so just ordered a copy of Mint Condition from Amazon.
Hey, Barry. Do you know if they had any good vintage baseball card shops back in 1910?

barrysloate
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
You would have had a pretty tough time making a living as a baseball card dealer back in 1910. Maybe you could sell Old Judges five for a penny, or something like that.

Kawika
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I guess I'll leave the time-space jokes to Steven Wright from now on.

toppcat
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Appreciate the heads up Barry-just ordered one.

barrysloate
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM
It's a great read Dave. I'm a little deeper into it and I am learning something new each chapter. Jamieson takes subjects we already know something about but handles them in great depth. Everyone on the board should read it.

toppcat
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Do you know if they had any good vintage baseball card shops back in 1910?

I think the friendly corner tobacconist a century ago would fit this bill nicely.

Kawika
03-20-2010, 03:19 PM
The other week I was over in Victoria, British Columbia and dropped into one of my favorite shops, Old Morris Tobacconist, in continuous business in the same location downtown for 116 years. Betcha they moved a lot of Obak product in 1911.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/kawika/miscellany/2613259143_98789539a4.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/kawika/miscellany/4090776569_b70c65d1d4.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/vancouverandvictoriaobaks/websize/Obak%20Ten%20Million.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/vancouverandvictoriaobaks/websize/1911%20Obak%20Raymer.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/vancouverandvictoriaobaks/websize/1911%20Obak%20Roche.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/vancouverandvictoriaobaks/websize/DMcD627.jpg

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Just finished the book and I will say it's an excellent read. For those who felt O'Keeffe's book was too negative, the Jamieson book is well balanced with the good, the bad, and the in-between parceled out in equal portions. It's very well documented and it was hard for me to find any errors at all.

I do have to tell you there is a chapter near the end about our own Kevin Saucier that will give anyone who collects high grade slabbed cards a good case of the heebie jeebies. It's pretty scary stuff. But I don't want to spoil the plot, so I'll wait for others to read the book and hopefully post their thoughts on this thread.

onlychild
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
do have to tell you there is a chapter near the end about our own Kevin Saucier that will give anyone who collects high grade slabbed cards a good case of the heebie jeebies.

Had to be the unflattering picture made while recovering from surgery #1 and two days before surgery #2. Was fubar during our time together.

To top it off, Dave Jamieson is just an all around nice guy and a terrific human being...smart, humble, inquisitive with strong writing ethics. Every collector will learn something from it. After reading my copy, I realized my true hobby ignorance. Even a better reason to buy the book.

Kevin

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Kevin- I enjoyed the chapter about you a lot. There's even a color picture of you in the book. Dave interviewed me over the phone and he was a gentleman. And he writes really well. This book isn't a hack job but a very careful and well written look at our hobby. Possibly it's the best book of its kind.

Kevin- does "fubar" mean something? One of our members has that as his username, and I have no idea what it means.

onlychild
03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Barry,

Many thanks Barry, tried my best to make it an accurate and informative interview without it being a tell-all. As I've always said, tough to do with that subject. Dave must of had a hard time writing that chapter, deciding what to print and what to hold back. When I saw the rough copy...he nailed it the first time!

I'm reading it for the third time. Seems I always catch something new or missed.

Yeah I saw the pic..not the best by far. FUBAR = F'ed up Beyond All Recognition. We used it in the military, plus it was made popular in Saving Private Ryan as well.

Kevin

Kawika
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
SNAFU = Situation Normal, All F'ed Up
TARFU = Things Are Really F'ed Up
FUBAR = F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys, I'm completely in the dark with these abbreviations. The only one I know is MILF.;)

Bicem
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
The only one I know is MILF.;)

What does that mean Barry?

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
edited for double post

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I can't say on the board...it's x-rated. It was a joke.

Bicem
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I know, just thought it was funny coming from you. :D

barrysloate
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Am I such a prude?:)

mark evans
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, Barry.

Mark

WillowGrove
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
After reading this entire thread I wanted to note that it had a beautifully poetic ryhtym to it. Go back and read it from the top - you'll see.

Starting with barry's intial entry where he seemed to stop reading mid-setence to tell us about the book - to some obervations on the diligence of the book's author - followed by a risque yet quite innocent MILF reference that includes someone who I think is an ex-MLer.

And all culminating with me utilizing the Amazon link to order the book.

thanks for a great forum everyone.

peter

Bicem
03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Just finished the first two chapters, really, really well written. All collectors should read this.

E93
03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I read the first chapter and Burdick chapter. Highly recommended. Of what I have read so far, he has done some very good research and an excellent job. It is nice to have this kind of history of our hobby in print.
JimB

Mrc32
03-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I ordered it this morning.

insidethewrapper
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Just received my copy of"Mint Condition" today from Amazon. I question the following stat " 81 billion cards were produced per year at it's peak " and then sales at $ 1.2 billion are quoted. It doesn't add up to me. Even adding all the sets that year my estimate is more like "8-10" billion cards. Even a 100,000 cases of wax would only account for about 1 billion cards. So even 1 million cases would be 10 billion range. Any other comments on the figure stated in the book ? thanks

drc
03-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Seems like an evenhanded history of the industry from the origins, with nice bios and photos of numerous key players-- Burdick etc. Shows the good and the bad, highs and lows, but is not a scandal sheet, like the Daily News book.

GoldenAge50s
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
To save starting another book thread, there was an Editorial column last week in my Prov Journal by the Author about his new book "Fifty-Nine in '84" about Old Hoss Radbourn & the Providence Greys that should interest many of you.

The column provides an interesting preview:

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/content/CL_achorn16_03-16-10_VUHOE22_v21.3f8ccc0.html

Vol
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Is their a good book out there with alot of good info on all of the Pre-War cards? Any suggestions?

Cannot wait for the T-206 book in June, but would like a good book on other sets that are out there.

Thanks a lot.

mark evans
03-27-2010, 04:04 PM
"Mint Condition" is favorably reviewed in the current (April) issue of Washingtonian, a popular magazine regarding goings-on in D.C. The author Jamieson is a local writer.

Hope to see all in Baltimore.

oldjudge
03-28-2010, 12:26 AM
The book incorrectly states that the majority of photographs for the Old Judge set were taken by Jos Hall. I'm not sure where this tidbit came from. Otherwise, it is OK. Not great, just OK.

donmuth
03-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Did anyone else hear the interview with the author of Mint Condition on NPR yesterday afternoon? Unfortunately, I got a phone call from work about 1 minute into the story and missed most of it. I guess I'll try to listen to it off the NPR website.

celoknob
03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
If someone finds the link to the interview, could you please post it. I couldn't find it on the NPR site.

ullmandds
03-30-2010, 09:55 AM
i just happened to catch the last minute or so discussing the glut of cards produced in the 80's causing a dramatic shift in the way and reasons why people buy them...I'd love to hear the whole thing.

Anthony S.
03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
The book incorrectly states that the majority of photographs for the Old Judge set were taken by Jos Hall. I'm not sure where this tidbit came from. Otherwise, it is OK. Not great, just OK.

There's a quote on pg 21 that states that Hall was "the company's primary photographer," but I don't think Jamieson ever says Hall took the majority of the photos.

drc
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM
To VolNVegas: The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards (Krause Publications/Sports Collectors Digest) checklists and describes most of the 19th century baseball cards. Also, Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards by Lew Lipset is a history of Pre-War cards

onlychild
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
If someone finds the link to the interview

Here you go:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/03/29/pm-baseball-cards-q/

Kevin

oldjudge
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
There is no evidence that I or Joe Gonsowski know of that indicates that Jos Hall was Goodwin & Co's primary photographer. If someone knows otherwise I would appreciate the information. Also Anthony, wouldn't it follow that the company's primary photographer took a significant portion of the images used in the set? Who was he shooting images of--Ebineezer Goodwin in the bathtub?

Anthony S.
03-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Jay, I'm not dippy enough to debate any point concerning Old Judges with you -- your book is about 4 feet away from me as I type this. I'm an N172 neophyte. I was just drawing the distinct between "most" and the author's use of "primary." Didn't realize that Jamieson's characterization of Hall as the primary photographer was incorrect. I tend to jump around your book, which I think is fantastic, and haven't read the parts about the photographers, yet.

oldjudge
03-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Anthony--There is an appendix in the back of the book which details the photographers that we know of who took part in the Old Judge set, along with which teams they took photographs of. While Jos Hall may have taken some images, we have yet to definitively identify them as the photographer of a specific image.

Anthony S.
03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Cool. Pg 452. Found it. Thanks, Jay.

ullmandds
03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
kevin...thanks for the link...not worth the time and effort to hear...i'll have to get the book!!!

toppcat
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Just finished Mint Condition, quite an enjoyable read even if there are a few misfires (mostly harmless) on some points. The author did a nice job on the Sy Berger and Woody Gelman chapters, developing information I had not seen previously. Another worthy addition to my fifty foot hobby shelf!

jp1216
04-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Just preordered my T206 book today. Can't wait. Picked up a free SMR at the Strongsville show last weekend and read about the new book - love it already...

wolf2039
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the tip; just ordered my copy as well!

Another book-related question: has anyone read the book Operation Bullpen, which is recommended by REA in the back of this year's auction catalog? Any thoughts?

Brian W.

justmike
04-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the tip; just ordered my copy as well!

Another book-related question: has anyone read the book Operation Bullpen, which is recommended by REA in the back of this year's auction catalog? Any thoughts?

Brian W.

Operation Bullpen is a fantastic read.If own autographs you will never look at them the same again though.It was another book I couldn't put down for 2 days.I have read it twice more since.
Mike

WhenItWasAHobby
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I recently read Operation Bullpen too and definitely recommend it. It's sad how many people got duped with worthless fake autographs between the mid-1990s into the new millenium and I'm sure it's still going on today.

Some of the highlights include how the scammers would take brand new baseballs, remove the modern stamping, age the balls, put on an old manufacturing stamp on the ball, put a fake signiture on it and produce a convincing high-priced vintage fake. Another story describes how they would go to used book stores and a buy real old books and tear out the first several blank pages and use those for vintage autographs. Another big problem is that fake Certificates of Authenticy were almost as common as the bad signitures.

One other good story is how the Feds caught some crooks by seeing if they could get Muhammad Ali autographs on a stack of rare photographs of him boxing a Japanese sumo wrestler in 1979, which Ali's agent guaranteed that Ali never signed during his career. Sure enough, the crooks produced autographs on those furnished photos claiming they had Ali sign them privately on a certain date in New York while it turns out he was in Miami on that same day.

It also mentions Shelly Jaffe's involvement, who later posted on these boards after getting out of jail.

WhenItWasAHobby
04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I recently read another book that any eBayer would find interesting even though it's not sports related but the same thing could and probably has happened with fake cards or bogus sports memorabilia. Here's a mini-capsule review:

The book Fake: Forgery, Lies, & eBay is a true story of a young attorney named Ken Walton, who meets up with a former army buddy from years past, Ken Fetterman, who introduces Walton to the new world of internet selling on eBay in the late 1990's. Fetterman's specialty was selling art paintings and appeared to develop a very lucrative business in the early days of this on-line flea market. Shortly after reuniting, Walton and Fetterman worked as a team in Sacramento, CA selling these paintings on eBay. Their business model was rather simple: go around to all the local antique stores and thrift shops and find all the quality works of paintings they could find and resell them on eBay. But it wasn't quite that simple - there was a twist to their business model. Their operation included several unscrupulous business practices that helped generate consistently profitable sales including shill bidding (artificially inflating the bidding by using numerous phony accounts) and forging high-demand artists signatures on art pieces made by good amateurs.

Their main ploy that kept them from being accused or indicted of fraud was using the "naive seller" routine, where in the auction description they would claim that they knew nothing about art but found this painting at a garage or estate sale and would make no assurances of the painting's authenticity, but they would show close-up scans of the artist's signature and by doing this would entice sophisticated art collectors to bid on their bogus paintings thinking that they were going to pull one over on this hapless seller. To show how greed blinded these predatory buyers, several painting sold for exorbitantly high prices and out of fear of being discovered at some point in time by art authenticators, Walton and Fetterman panicked and told the buyers that they were now concerned that the paintings were fakes and would advise them to cancel the sale. But to their amazement, the buyers would insist on completing the sale in spite of these dire warnings and insisted they would be willing to take all the risk, even if the paintings turned out to be fakes. Once trick they used to make a phony, high-priced sale seem credible was to use a bogus identity claiming to be an art expert and then e-mail the winning bidder shortly after he won the painting and congratulate him for getting such a great deal on a highly sought-after work of art and ask if he'd allow them to use that painting for a cover story for an art magazine.

This type of buying insanity finally came to a head in May 2000 when Walton listed a painting with a forged signature that made it appear to be signed by a popular artist Richard Diebenkorn. With Fetterman's help of shill bidding, this painting ended up selling for an astonishing $135,858 and was won by a Dutch millionaire. Some major media outlets picked on the sale including the New York Times and the local newspaper and started doing some inquiries about the auction. One thing that was discovered rather quickly by the press by contacting neighbors and friends was that the auction description contained some big whopping lies such as Walton being married with children. Once that was discovered it didn't take reporters too long to figure out the shill bidding scheme and then the authenticity of the painting itself became very doubtful as some local art dealers requested to see the painting before the auction closed but Walton found excuses to keep them away.

But in spite of all of this bad press, the Dutch millionaire still wanted the painting and when Walton suggested he not complete the sale for $135,858, the buyer threatened to sue him. Walton then suggested that he would like to have some art experts look at the painting first before finalizing the sale and the art collector agreed. To Walton's utter amazement, the signature passed the experts' black light test but there were other issues that put some doubt in the expert's minds yet some things seemed to give the painting some credibility in the experts' eyes as well.

With all of this bad media attention, it didn't take long for the FBI to get involved. Initially, it was just agents showing up at Walton's house or office leaving their business cards with neighbors and business associates requesting that Walton call them. That didn't seem very ominous, so Walton contacted them hoping to get just a warning or answer some routine questions. It didn't take long to realize that he was in serious trouble since they had a comprehensive pile of evidence regarding all of the shill bidding accounts. It went downhill from there and Walton had to retain a criminal attorney and finally cut a deal over a lengthy process: probation with full restitution. Perhaps the most devastating blow was that Walton had to resign from the bar as an attorney. Amazingly enough, when all of his eBay victims were contacted that they'd been defrauded, only a small portion responded to the restitution agreement.

Meanwhile, Ken Walton's partner in crime, Ken Fetterman, avoided arrest and was on the lamb for over a year until finally getting caught on a routine traffic stop for a cracked windshield in Kansas and ended being sentenced to over 4 years of imprisonment.

Although this book deals with art, I found it a very worthwhile read for someone with an interest in sports collectibles and uses eBay frequently since many lessons can be gleaned from this highly publicized true crime story.

Peter_Spaeth
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I have long believed that absent ironclad provenance, buying autographs or memorabilia was essentially an act of faith.

calvindog
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
It went downhill from there and Walton had to retain a criminal attorney and finally cut a deal over a lengthy process: probation with full restitution. Perhaps the most devastating blow was that Walton had to resign from the bar as an attorney. Amazingly enough, when all of his eBay victims were contacted that they'd been defrauded, only a small portion responded to the restitution agreement.

I can certainly understand why the victims did not want restitution. After all, the fraudsters were screwing everyone not targeting certain individuals. I'm sure the victims felt that it was just the cost of doing business in their hobby that they loved so much.

By the way, at least in the legal profession we kick out the people who get convicted of serious crimes. Such a practice certainly doesn't keep our ranks entirely clean but it does make a difference.