PDA

View Full Version : PSA Authentic

whycough
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I've noticed that some PSA Authentic slabs list a reason for the Authentic designation. For example, I've seen TRIMMED, ALTERED, HAND CUT, TEST SET-NO TAB. It seems to me that if a card is just plain AUTHENTIC, most collectors will assume it's trimmed. I think all authentics should have a reason listed on the slip. I just recently sent in a 1950 Hopalong Cassidy Foil which came back a N-8, Factory Miscut. PSA didn't slab it. I called Joe Orlando and was contacted by Laura. She told me to send it back and that they would slab it. On the submission form, I asked to have the slip give a reason for the authentic designation. It came back a straight AUTHENTIC, no reason. Most will now assume it is trimmed. I think all authentics should have a reason given on the slip. I will call and try to talk to Joe in person.

Jay Wolt
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
I have well over 100 PSA/SGC/GAI Auth cards and none list on the flip why its authentic.
I don't care though, I just realize its not good enough to warrant a numerical grade
and can figure out if its trimmed, recolored, skinned or what have you.

Here's a GAI card that I had SGC slab as well.
To me, it would be too "busy" if they added more info on the flip. I'm fine the way all 3 slabbers do it.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/1266189022.jpg

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/10264134.jpg

autograf
03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Seems like something "N8, Factory Miscut", should be slabbed with a corresponding grade given the miscut

collectbaseball
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I know that PSA has a miscut qualifier (MC) -- why wouldn't it grade numerically w/ qualifier?

JamesGallo
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Honestly this drives me nuts. With some issues there might not be room on the flip but there really should be. I would certainly value a trimmed card differently from a restored or recolored card so it does make a difference.

PSA seems to do it half the time and the rest they will just send it back. IMO any card sent in for grading should be slabed as that is what you are paying for. If you state otherwise that is fine but if I am paying for a grading service part of that is the slab and one way or the other I want to get something for my money.

James G

glynparson
03-21-2010, 06:47 AM
The PSA MC qualifier is for cards miscut due to centering (100-0) not cards miscut with the abnormal borders (trapezoid look, border bulge). Miscut cards that aren't square should be returned ungraded with a grading voucher sent at a later date to cover your cost of grading..