PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Pottery Team Lamps

aelefson
03-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the Red Sox lamp scanned below and I had no idea that it was part of a series from Stanford Pottery in the 1950s until board members let me know in the Red Sox thread. I thought it was homemade! I was wondering if anyone could show other examples of the lamps, especially, one with its orginial shade. I am also curious if everyone considers these to be made by Stanford Pottery as someone mentioned in an old thread that there was no proof of this. Any additional information concerning these lamps would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Rob D.
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi Alan,

I have an Indians version and, like you, always have wondered how the consensus that these were made by Stanford Pottery was formed. Whenever I've come across an example, regardless of team, I look for markings and have found none.

I'd love to see an original shade, because the way these are constructed makes me wonder the size. When I looked for a newer shade for mine, it hit home how ridiculous larger shades look on this style lamp. But it's tough finding smaller ones that work. I ended up using a thinner, chandelier-style bulb so that I could use a really small shade. It still doesn't look all that great.

perezfan
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
For these Lamps, you need the smaller type lampshade that clips directly onto the bulb itself. Rob is correct... there are many more options if you use a smaller chandelier-style bulb.

There are tons of vintage 1940s/50s shades like this available on ebay everyday. I would go with an off-white or beige. I don't recall seeing any "original" shades with logos, and believe the lamps simply came with something plain or generic (no team logos or graphics). In all the years I've been tracking this stuff, a logo shade would have turned up by now (if it existed).

If anyone can prove this wrong, please post... it would be very interesting to see an original shade after all these years of looking!

aelefson
03-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks Rob and Mark! I too am hoping someone will post an original shade. In looking at my lamp, the only possible manufacturer name is on the metal part of the lamp. Mine says Leviton Made in the USA. Rob, does yours say the same thing on the metal part where the bulb attaches? I assume that is either the town where the metal part was made or the name of the metal part manufacturer.
Alan

Rob D.
03-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks Rob and Mark! I too am hoping someone will post an original shade. In looking at my lamp, the only possible manufacturer name is on the metal part of the lamp. Mine says Leviton Made in the USA. Rob, does yours say the same thing on the metal part where the bulb attaches? I assume that is either the town where the metal part was made or the name of the metal part manufacturer.
Alan

I'll take a look later today and try to post a photo or two.

Sometimes when I look at this lamp, I wonder that if Stanford Pottery really did make these, why did they choose such a generic design? Could you imagine how cool it would have been if they'd taken the gold-tooth Indian figurine (or any figurine they made), enlarged it by 50 percent or so, and made it into a lamp?

perezfan
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll take a look later today and try to post a photo or two.

Sometimes when I look at this lamp, I wonder that if Stanford Pottery really did make these, why did they choose such a generic design? Could you imagine how cool it would have been if they'd taken the gold-tooth Indian figurine (or any figurine they made), enlarged it by 50 percent or so, and made it into a lamp?

That is such a cool idea that I bet Gibbs Conner is already on it, and comes out with them soon. Of course they will be circa 1950s (and perhaps dated 1954 for the Indians, 1955 for the Dodgers, 1956 for the Yankees, etc.)

These just have yet to show up... give it a few more weeks!

Rob D.
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
That is such a cool idea that I bet Gibbs Conner is already on it, and comes out with them soon. Of course they will be circa 1950s (and perhaps dated 1954 for the Indians, 1955 for the Dodgers, 1956 for the Yankees, etc.)

These just have yet to show up... give it a few more weeks!

When they hit the market, I'll know just where to find them.

steve B
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Leviton is a huge manufaturer of lamp and other electric parts
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?minisite=10026&respid=22372

So no help there.

perezfan
03-18-2010, 02:20 AM
When they hit the market, I'll know just where to find them.

That may be an Inside joke, but it would certainly be in The Ball Park to value these Collectibles in the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars!

mjkm90
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
I have the Cubs version:D

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/cubslamp.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mjkm90/media/cubslamp.jpg.html)

gashouse34
02-16-2014, 10:40 PM
I just picked up the Kansas City version myself recently. Mike I wonder if your Cubs lamp has the original shade on it...would love to find one for mine.

mjkm90
02-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Dunno if it's original, but someone had an old picture of one that had a shade pretty darn close to it.